Kole tang

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.. its so weird the way it just disappeared

Some people are very comfortable assuming you are dealing with "ich".

In my opinion you are correct to remain skeptical.

If the rest of your fish are healthy and the tang is eating well and behaving well, I think you have nothing to worry about.

I would add that a two hour acclamation is extreme and probably did cause excess, unnecessary stress. The important part is that he appears to be on the mend! [emoji106][emoji3]

Never mind...too late.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the filter was cycled what affects will the copper cause?

If you mean what impact will the presence of copper have on the nitrifying bacteria, it is minimal. It will bounce back quickly.

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know but I added a coral beauty and it died 2 days later.. then all fish were gone on the third day after it.. but I have learned and have a qt. Now I just need to learn what to do between fish. As far as draining or keeping it up.. and so on

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65 gallons is a pretty small tank for a Tang anyway...probably only 36" long, right? I hope he still pulls through, but if he does you either need a tank upgrade for him or to find a new home in the short-medium term.

The Kole is beautiful and was one of the most-appropriate Tangs you could have selected for tank life, but going forward I would try to stick with smaller fish for that tank.

How long ago did this system get set up?

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 4 ft tank and he is getting a tank upgrade in a few months.. the 65 has been up 6 months or so.. the bio cube has been up 2 years.. the qt was just set up but the canister filter was completely cycled before being used for this tank..

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's ich, Cupramine is what most people like to use. However, Coppersafe and Copper Power are good products as well. However, your QT being in such close proximity to the DT might be an issue due to aerosol transmission.

They traced the transmission in the study to being within the arc of spray from naked airstones being used. I don't see anything like that in use here.

Until naked airstones make a big comeback, I don't think we need to add aerosolization to the list of things to worry about in a home tank. (But it's definitely fun to say and type! :) )

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 4 ft tank and he is getting a tank upgrade in a few months.. the 65 has been up 6 months or so.. [...]

From what I can gather a 4ft 65 gallon tank should basically be a low 75 gallon. Yours appears tall and skinny in that photo. Can you tell me the actual dimensions? I'm mostly just curious.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They traced the transmission in the study to being within the arc of spray from naked airstones being used. I don't see anything like that in use here.

Until naked airstones make a big comeback, I don't think we need to add aerosolization to the list of things to worry about in a home tank. (But it's definitely fun to say and type! :) )

The study showed transmission was possible up 440 mm (almost 18 inches) even in static systems with no water movement. A friend of mine saw his QT get reinfected with ich after lowering CP when the DT was only 5-6 feet away (he was going fallow in the DT for ich.) He wasn't using airstones in either system, but an air vent was blowing from the DT towards the QT. :eek:

Source: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0044848606001785

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they are self-aerosolizing then?

I'll get to reading, but that seems far-fetched.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy only...they picture an aerosol nozzle in the diagram though. And I think only the airflow was static...not the water. Makes no logical sense otherwise.

I'm going to say I don't believe they are self aerosolizing until I can actually read it somewhere.

If there's nothing to generate the aerosol for them, that's basically a magic trick.

(Can't speak one way or the other to conclusions from the friend's tank...too many unknowns.)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My motto is better safe than sorry. All my DTs have a skimmer down in the sump, where water constantly breaks the surface. All my QTs have a HOB that breaks the surface. Not as bad as using an airstone, but the potential for "splashage" is still there. ;) You might be right about airflow vs. water flow though, it's been years since I read the entire study.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of the splash range for bubbles popping in air make me remember researching bug zappers.

[OFFTOPIC]
I won't regurgitate details beyond this: imagine the effective "blast" radius of one of those zappers:confused:, and imagine all the funk inside a typical bug:eek:. It's exactly as bad as you should be imagining. o_O:p

Oh, and blue-light zappers are completely, totally and utterly ineffective for 99% of the bugs that bother people. They largely kill beneficial or neutral insects. (Which can let the baddies get even worse.)
[/OFFTOPIC]

OP
OP
Steve Dillon

Steve Dillon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can gather a 4ft 65 gallon tank should basically be a low 75 gallon. Yours appears tall and skinny in that photo. Can you tell me the actual dimensions? I'm mostly just curious.

48" long x 12.5" wide x 24.75" tall.. with all do respect I dont think the size of my tank cause it to be sick.. the qt is only a 24" long bow front..

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48" long x 12.5" wide x 24.75" tall.. with all do respect I dont think the size of my tank cause it to be sick.. the qt is only a 24" long bow front..

That's not being implied. [emoji6]. Not really even suggesting a change of plan...just observing.

That tank is closer to a 55 than a 65...smaller than it seems (and smaller than marketed). Footprint is super important for the swimming area.

My "40 gallon" is similar...its marketed at about 5-10 gallons larger than it is. Closer to 35 gallons in reality.

And my point was not that this is causing sickness, just that it will be a problem down the road as we already mentioned earlier....but after noticing the unusual tank size/shape...maybe sooner than you were expecting is all. [emoji6][emoji106][emoji106]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back