Kole Tang

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being the only somewhat definitive symptom we have to go on is "white poo", I recommend continuing to dose Metroplex in the QT every 48 hrs.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
meant no disrespect to anyone with the dart throw comment. I'm sure @melypr1985 she knows that, she does a great job in here along with the others on here.

I just haven't read or seen any definite signs of anything in this thread. The video is tough to tell anything on. It looks like he's swimming in a little current but koles also use primarily their pectoral fins for swimming so if there's no current in there, he may just be adjusting to all of a sudden not having any current. Just a little outside of the box.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
meant no disrespect to anyone with the dart throw comment. I'm sure @melypr1985 she knows that, she does a great job in here along with the others on here.

I just haven't read or seen any definite signs of anything in this thread. The video is tough to tell anything on. It looks like he's swimming in a little current but koles also use primarily their pectoral fins for swimming so if there's no current in there, he may just be adjusting to all of a sudden not having any current. Just a little outside of the box.

I wasn't offended at all! I'm doubting myself on this one a lot. Even reading what humble is saying (who I defer to in most cases, especially this one) I'm sticking with the "stay the course" recommendation with the current meds. It's just good luck that humble is saying the same thing :)

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so with my lack of being any help in this matter with the pictures and video I have posted when I go home what specifically will u guys need so I can better assist u in helping Kole out. This is for the guy who asked my last addition it was a califlower coral Aprox three weeks ago. He only swims back wards unless I startle him then he swims forward he's very pale until I add the stress reliever then His color comes back for a little while. Every time I have fresh water dipped him there has been nothing in the container afterwards and he is constantly breathing heavy with an open mouth kinda looks like his jaw is stuck open. He is a true battler and I would hate for him to go thru all this pain for nothing so please whatever u need from me I will do as soon as I get home and if it is of the upmost importance for u guys to know now I will leave work he means that much to me

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so with my lack of being any help in this matter with the pictures and video I have posted when I go home what specifically will u guys need so I can better assist u in helping Kole out. This is for the guy who asked my last addition it was a califlower coral Aprox three weeks ago. He only swims back wards unless I startle him then he swims forward he's very pale until I add the stress reliever then His color comes back for a little while. Every time I have fresh water dipped him there has been nothing in the container afterwards and he is constantly breathing heavy with an open mouth kinda looks like his jaw is stuck open. He is a true battler and I would hate for him to go thru all this pain for nothing so please whatever u need from me I will do as soon as I get home and if it is of the upmost importance for u guys to know now I will leave work he means that much to me

I think a video or picture as close as you can get without making him run away and with more light will help tremendously. We want to see his body, gills and mouth as clearly as possible. Your doing great with him!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed. Metro treats intestinal worms and that's what the "white poo" might be. CP treats all external protozoa. Both medications have minimal side effects so they would be safe darts to throw. ;)

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a video or picture as close as you can get without making him run away and with more light will help tremendously. We want to see his body, gills and mouth as clearly as possible. Your doing great with him!
Thanks I'm doing everything I can its just tough with the Internet and although it's a great tool it's always has contradictory statements and it's hard to figure out what to actually do. I mean on Friday morning before I pulled him out of the display tank I was dead set on a copper treatment I have everything I need for it but after seeing it was only sand on his body I choose not to put him thru that I instead decided to go with the medicines I have been using I'm not saying it's not ich or the dreaded velvet but if it is ich I have since made the decision to get Kole eating first and then do hypo on the display tank to fix the whole problem at once with less stress to my fish. I'm just literally like heart broken that he's going thru this pain I didn't get in this hobby to hurt any animal and I know casualties will happen but I honestly tried to do everything right this time I qt all my fish and dipped my corals because of my mistakes the last time. And it just sucks it does because I don't know what it is and if something does happen to him and the worst outcome happens I still won't know what I did wrong to prevent this from happening again. So clear movie and photos when I get home any other request I only have an iPhone 6 I'm no photographer either

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the white poo i have thoughts that maybe intestinal worms. I would keep on metro. I think thats what you have been using correct?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still won't know what I did wrong to prevent this from happening again

You did a great job. The only other thing you can do is to QT your corals and inverts in a fishless frag tank for 76 days before introducing them to the display. Dipping corals is great and you should definitely do that, but it doesn't remove things like ick or velvet from them. I'm not saying that's the problem in this case, but I wanted to address your worries. You've done so great here.... let's just take this a step at a time ok?

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did a great job. The only other thing you can do is to QT your corals and inverts in a fishless frag tank for 76 days before introducing them to the display. Dipping corals is great and you should definitely do that, but it doesn't remove things like ick or velvet from them. I'm not saying that's the problem in this case, but I wanted to address your worries. You've done so great here.... let's just take this a step at a time ok?
Thanks u got it
76 days huh? Darn and that's because I'm guessing from what I have read that ick can not live without a host for that long?

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin, Is it possible to observe your tang without he/she seeing you? After reading your thread and looking at the pic and video, I did not see any signs of disease and am wondering if the behavior has more to do with stress.

We have a spotted bristletooth tang (Ctenochaetus truncatus) that has been with us for 10 years. He has survived two 300g tank failures and unlike our very calm and easy-going Z. desjardini tang (been with us over 13 years), the bristletooth is a complete Drama Queen. He is high-strung and while he will eat out of our hands, he still startles easier than any of our other fish and some of his antics are just crazy. And depending on his mood, his color can change drastically.

In 2010, we had a catastrophic bottom seal rupture on our first 300g tank. We were fortunate to be home and were able to save all but one of our fish as well as our corals that day. The bristletooth completely freaked out during the move to our 75g refugium. He kept up the drama for 3 days before I realized what was happening. I seriously thought he was not going to make it. Every time I checked on him, he would be in the back corner of the tank, lying on his side, and breathing VERY fast and heavy. Looking back, it was sort of reminiscent of a person hyperventilating. Towards the end of day 3, I just happened to peak around the corner of the door to check on him. He was tooling around the refugium without a care in the world until he turned and saw me. He abruptly stopped (if a fish could scream, he would have screamed like a girl!), took a dive into the back corner, laid on his side and started up the rapid breathing again - the stinker! After that, I would approach the tank very slowly, offer a small treat and step away. It took him about a week to completely settle down.

Bristletooth tangs are detrivores. They have a specialized mouth with several rows of flexible bristle or comb like teeth that are used to scrape, lift and sift detritus, diatoms, algae, and other organics (including fish poo - yuck) from rocks, sand, and other surfaces. If your tank is too clean, he may not be getting enough of his natural diet which may be why you are not seeing the usual "cloud" of poo.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin, Is it possible to observe your tang without he/she seeing you? After reading your thread and looking at the pic and video, I did not see any signs of disease and am wondering if the behavior has more to do with stress.

We have a spotted bristletooth tang (Ctenochaetus truncatus) that has been with us for 10 years. He has survived two 300g tank failures and unlike our very calm and easy-going Z. desjardini tang (been with us over 13 years), the bristletooth is a complete Drama Queen. He is high-strung and while he will eat out of our hands, he still startles easier than any of our other fish and some of his antics are just crazy. And depending on his mood, his color can change drastically.

In 2010, we had a catastrophic bottom seal rupture on our first 300g tank. We were fortunate to be home and were able to save all but one of our fish as well as our corals that day. The bristletooth completely freaked out during the move to our 75g refugium. He kept up the drama for 3 days before I realized what was happening. I seriously thought he was not going to make it. Every time I checked on him, he would be in the back corner of the tank, lying on his side, and breathing VERY fast and heavy. Looking back, it was sort of reminiscent of a person hyperventilating. Towards the end of day 3, I just happened to peak around the corner of the door to check on him. He was tooling around the refugium without a care in the world until he turned and saw me. He abruptly stopped (if a fish could scream, he would have screamed like a girl!), took a dive into the back corner, laid on his side and started up the rapid breathing again - the stinker! After that, I would approach the tank very slowly, offer a small treat and step away. It took him about a week to completely settle down.

Bristletooth tangs are detrivores. They have a specialized mouth with several rows of flexible bristle or comb like teeth that are used to scrape, lift and sift detritus, diatoms, algae, and other organics (including fish poo - yuck) from rocks, sand, and other surfaces. If your tank is too clean, he may not be getting enough of his natural diet which may be why you are not seeing the usual "cloud" of poo.
Well thank u for that story kinda made me laugh and I hope ur right. So to answer some of ur questions from what I can remember I have a veggie clip in the qt tank and I have seen him eat off of it before this all happened and I agree with it not being the right setting for him to thrive right now because of the glass bottom cause he was an algea eating machine in the DT he never stopped eating when the lights were on. But I don't wanna put him back in the DT right now not the way he is. So the veggie clip will have to do for now. I'm hopeing when I make it home some of the nori will be missing. I can't really sneak up on him because of the way I threw together the qt tank so Maby if I take him out for a fresh water dip I can re arrange. During the day I kinda throw a piece of card board over the qt tank he's in to not stress him out as much from the lights and everything. So what ur thinking is that he was startled in the display tank when I saw him and he has been stressed since? Because of the smaller tank and constantly being observed? Because Kole was like u implied eat out of ur hand but dart in the tank if something "spooked him" I just can't wait to get home so I can give these people some good video and pictures so they can further help me get him back to tip top shape. Thanks for ur input in fact thanks for everyone's input and I hope u are correct and he's just a scardy cat
Justin

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank u for that story kinda made me laugh and I hope ur right. So to answer some of ur questions from what I can remember I have a veggie clip in the qt tank and I have seen him eat off of it before this all happened and I agree with it not being the right setting for him to thrive right now because of the glass bottom cause he was an algea eating machine in the DT he never stopped eating when the lights were on. But I don't wanna put him back in the DT right now not the way he is. So the veggie clip will have to do for now. I'm hopeing when I make it home some of the nori will be missing. I can't really sneak up on him because of the way I threw together the qt tank so Maby if I take him out for a fresh water dip I can re arrange. During the day I kinda throw a piece of card board over the qt tank he's in to not stress him out as much from the lights and everything. So what ur thinking is that he was startled in the display tank when I saw him and he has been stressed since? Because of the smaller tank and constantly being observed? Because Kole was like u implied eat out of ur hand but dart in the tank if something "spooked him" I just can't wait to get home so I can give these people some good video and pictures so they can further help me get him back to tip top shape. Thanks for ur input in fact thanks for everyone's input and I hope u are correct and he's just a scardy cat
Justin

I understand your rationale for keeping him in QT - it's always better to be safe than sorry! :) We QT all new fish and corals.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I hope everyone is still awake be home to take videos and photos in 20 mins

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back