Large Stylo loosing light

AquaPhilNJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large Pink Stylophora coral has slowly developed issue which I assume is a common one. The top branches are growing and stealing light from bottom branches, bottom line issue is the base (or trunk) of it now has almost no light. I have never fragged a acro or stylo coral before perhaps this is solution but I don't want to cause death. The trunk has become much more pale and white however perhaps isn't really an issue to worry about.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's normal and is due to shading.

Higher flow may help. If flow is bringing enough oxygen, nutrients and nutrition to the underside, it may retain flesh and polyps on the underside of the branches and trunk ... but they will be pale, even almost white, due to lack of light.

You may even see the flesh recede from the underside leaving bare skeleton, but the top will remain healthy and continue to grow.

Three options:

1. Frag it. Stylophoras are hearty corals. If your tank is stable, trimming it back should not harm it.

2. Try increasing your flow a bit. It won't improve color on the underside, but it will help to keep the flesh healthy and active.

3. Just leave it be. The underside may lose its flesh, but the top should continue to grow. If this happens, you could reconsider options 1 or 2.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the above. Couldn't have said it better myself.

As far as fragging goes, just use some bone cutters to cut branches off. All there is to it. Stylos are pretty hardy, and fragging will not hurt it one bit. Mine has become a rather large colony now too. the inside of the coral is white, but still has flesh, and little white polyps. I cut it every few months as it starts to shade corals under it.

Back