OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m not culture any phytoplankton today - however I have done it before and have also use urine as fertilizer. At one place we had 4 pcs of 2 meters cylinders with a diameter of 1 m. -> 500 litres. Illumination from the top and a pump circulating the water from the bottom to the top. In these containers we propagate freshwater phytoplankton. They were feed with stored urine from a urine separation system. In the toilet chairs there were special devices that caught the urine from the visitors of this Science Centre. The phytoplankton was feed for Daphnia magna and they was used to feed our fishes with :) Just pee – and you feed our fish :) It works for many years.

I have also propagated marine algae with help of small amounts of my own urine. Not stored this time. Stored urine - especially caught in normal toilets and hence contain small amounts of faecal bacteria – will contain a lot of NH3/NH4 (instead of the fresh urine´s urea) and have a pH of around 9.5 but the nutrient content is the same if it has been stored more or less airtight.

I have some plans for the future with propagating cyanobacteria but to this I can´t use a nitrogen rich fertilizer. This exclude urine :)

Sincerely Lasse

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the toilet chairs there were special devices that caught the urine from the visitors of this Science Centre.
How did the visitors react to this?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works for around 8 years and around 500 000 visitors a year. The reason for collecting the urine was to reuse it for farming - to recycle the nutrients from city to countryside. Because the EU decide that you was not allowed to use human urine as a part of organic cultivation and the city of Gothenburg did not manage to recirculate the urine produced - the system was changed around 2008 in the public area. It was a system that demand a little bit of work in order to have it work and when it did not come to any use as nutrients - it was no need to continue with it. Our visitors - especially swedes understand why we have these systems. This system still exist in private house and the owners use the stored urine as fertilizers for the kitchen garden.

Yes - there is a couple of very good stories from this time - however - not possible to tell in a US forum. It will be to many *******. but I remember one time when a American women and her two teenage daughters got the worst and greatest laugh´s of their life because I did not use the English language in the way I should :)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works for around 8 years and around 500 000 visitors a year. The reason for collecting the urine was to reuse it for farming - to recycle the nutrients from city to countryside. Because the EU decide that you was not allowed to use human urine as a part of organic cultivation and the city of Gothenburg did not manage to recirculate the urine produced - the system was changed around 2008 in the public area. It was a system that demand a little bit of work in order to have it work and when it did not come to any use as nutrients - it was no need to continue with it. Our visitors - especially swedes understand why we have these systems. This system still exist in private house and the owners use the stored urine as fertilizers for the kitchen garden.

Yes - there is a couple of very good stories from this time - however - not possible to tell in a US forum. It will be to many *******. but I remember one time when a American women and her two teenage daughters got the worst and greatest laugh´s of their life because I did not use the English language in the way I should :)

Sincerely Lasse
Lasse I once had a client from Sweden , live in southern California, work as a school teacher.
What surprised me was, he spoke perfect Spanish, perfect. Better than me. Sweds, very,very intelligent . Like Germans. Heehee.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse, you remember this singer, from ABBA. Speaks perfect Spanish

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea - Sweden can help Mexico getting to the next round. We will see - However - It was 40 years ago that we beat Germany last - but 1958 - they get beaten in World Cup by Sweden :) - in Gothenburg :) People (in Sweden) still talks about one of the goals from that game.

Sincerely Lasse

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back