Lasses Dream Build

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse, I got to pick your brain when you work in aqua culture raising fish did you guys D.E. filtration, diatom filtration another words. Any good articles you can send my way please. Take your time, I know you're going on vacation.
Okay, hope everything goes well on your trip, have a safe and enjoyable trip. Thank you

Don't forget your always my favorite uncle in Europe.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why I havent seen any updates on this in my alerts. Catching up now my friend.
I've been told that if you get an alert that maybe you missed in a line of other alerts, you won't get future alerts unless you click on all alerts.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall when I first got into r2r and started following you..

Who could forget the masterful hiding of the circulation pumps and unique retro-classic filtration concepts.

This is alot to absorb in 1 sitting. But I will soon be swimming through your thorough explanations with scientific fact on bacteria and the little ones that we often times take for granted in our ecosystems.

Cheers

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Who could forget the masterful hiding of the circulation pumps and unique retro-classic filtration concepts.

This is alot to absorb in 1 sitting. But I will soon be swimming through your thorough explanations with scientific fact on bacteria and the little ones that we often times take for granted in our ecosystems.

Cheers

Open your mind, it can be less technical! :)

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse, I got to pick your brain when you work in aqua culture raising fish did you guys D.E. filtration, diatom filtration another words. Any good articles you can send my way please. Take your time, I know you're going on vacation.
Okay, hope everything goes well on your trip, have a safe and enjoyable trip. Thank you

Don't forget your always my favorite uncle in Europe.

Nope - sometimes sandfilter is in use, sometimes drumfilters and in the last adventure - we let the anarobic tanks do the filtration - we want all there. You can´t use diatom filters in a farm that produce fish for food - to high load.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cheers

Open your mind, it can be less technical! :)

Yes it can - my other builds have been much more basic - but I´m a technician too and this time it was that part of me that win. But I never have like to look at technical things in my tanks – I want to look at a part of the nature

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it can - my other builds have been much more basic - but I´m a technician too and this time it was that part of me that win. But I never have like to look at technical things in my tanks – I want to look at a part of the nature

Sincerely Lasse
Nope - sometimes sandfilter is in use, sometimes drumfilters and in the last adventure - we let the anarobic tanks do the filtration - we want all there. You can´t use diatom filters in a farm that produce fish for food - to high load.

Sincerely Lasse
Glad I'm not trying to grow fish for food. Thanks for input. Here an article I found.
D.E. filtration used in Aquarium Institutions, and recommended for aquaculture

https://web.archive.org/web/2015070...articles/management/Lawler_Diatomfilters.html

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told that if you get an alert that maybe you missed in a line of other alerts, you won't get future alerts unless you click on all alerts.
Not exactly. You will get one Alert for a thread and then no others for that thread until it resets. Alerts for other threads have no bearing. For more info check out the
R2R Tips and Tricks thread. Specifically post 2 and 34.

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this as Acreichthys tomentosus and it is from TMC - but I´m nor sure - it is rather small 3 - 4 cm but it looks like it have tasslers like the tassle file fish - Chaetodermis pencilligerus

Here is some more pictures - if anyone could do an imdentification I would be glad

file1.jpg

file2.jpg

file3.jpg

file4.jpg

hel-file.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Well, it certainly looks familiar. Here’s our smaller one when we got him,

C0C78ABF-BE26-4023-A8FD-1B88D301EEE8.jpeg

and a more recent one of the larger one.

4DFBC8BC-1636-4F73-99AD-EAE4AEF78FCE.jpeg

They both have the tassels or hairs, but they look very much like the photo of the Acreichthys tomentosus in that link.
Kind of. Ours don’t turn green like that one. But they do change colours and patterns often enough. And they also have that white area along the middle of their sides, like a scar. That part doesn’t change colours.

In terms of size, the larger one we got two years ago, and it has just about doubled in size. The second one we got one year ago, and it hasn’t grown much. So it may be the environment as well. The larger one was one of our first fish and had the run of the place. The second came into a more crowded aquarium, with a larger filefish in it as well. The both eat well, and there is absolutely no aggression towards either. But maybe they grow to the size they need to be... the little one follows the larger around most of the day.

They are both great fish. They always come over to investigate when we are looking in the tank.

Cheers, Tony

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When its going wrong - it goes fast. I was away for a week and when I come home - the upper part of this photo the bluish corals was white and dead. I have to do a clean up and figure out - what should I put here in the future

hel-file-jpg.1079818

dead.jpg

empty.jpg

Funny is that I got back a Triton test today too - and it was good - a little high NO3 and PO4 but that was not any news - it has been that for a while. Everything else looks fine.

Good news was that my file fish seems to have found my aiptasia and done its job and it looks like my orange mushhroom gots a baby

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When its going wrong - it goes fast. I was away for a week and when I come home - the upper part of this photo the bluish corals was white and dead. I have to do a clean up and figure out - what should I put here in the future

hel-file-jpg.1079818

dead.jpg

empty.jpg

Funny is that I got back a Triton test today too - and it was good - a little high NO3 and PO4 but that was not any news - it has been that for a while. Everything else looks fine.

Good news was that my file fish seems to have found my aiptasia and done its job and it looks like my orange mushhroom gots a baby

Sincerely Lasse
Sorry for your loss, bummer:(

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hel-file-jpg.1079818

dead.jpg

empty.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Very strange... perhaps a swing that eventually stabilized before your return and test?

Where there is death, there is also rebirth my friend. If I was on your side of the pond I would use that skeleton in my rockscape. They go for big bucks online, so perhaps if you found a buyer the loss could finance the replacement piece! Cheers

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to Lasse today at work, but I'll write my theory here as well(plus remind Lasse about the name of the coral..:D)

We have a lot of Seriatopora at the Aquarium, S. hystrix, S. guttatus and S. caliendrum. I believe the colony Lasse had was a S. guttatus.
They often grow fast and when they reach the surface, the branches gets closer and closer in the upper part of the colony. Sometimes after a stressor(like high temp or power break), but also sometimes without any changes that I know of, these colonies gets a brownish slime. Looks the same as when Euphyllia gets brown jelly disease, perhaps it's the same.
The disease spread fast and in a day a 15 cm colony can die. Usually just leaving a white skeleton.
This has mostly happened to large colonies close to the surface, often where there isn't much room left between the colonies/branches. Perhaps low water flow together with high levels of light is a trigger.

So my guess is that the colony got brown jelly disease while you were away. Or maybe it just missed you too much ;)

Now clean the skeleton and bring it to work. We need media for the calcium reactors.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back