OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This clone of hystrix is rather colourful by itself - I´m not sure that I have done anything that promote colouration, However - after nearly all my old hystrix stop to grow and died this fall I test this one in December. At the same time - I discover that I was low in phosphorus and start to dose. Since that everything have turn and it looks very good again. I measure around 0.1 - 0.12 ppm PO4 with my Hanna HI-774 and Triton tests say between 0.02 - 0.05 ppm. My goal is just now that I should read 0.12- 0.14 ppm on my own Hanna and send in a new Triton test in a month or two. I also discover that my salinity was up near 40 psu and lower it down to around 35 psu.

Sincerely Lasse

Flippersflippinooah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really. I have seen that I have a lot of N in the system - however - according to my nitrate test - nitrate is only around 1/3 of the total N content. I thought it was to much proteins in the water cause I skim very dry. Change the skimming to get more skimmate - total nitrogen doubled. Did not expect that. Either is my test wrong or it is something else. I can see that I´m rather high in organic carbon too

Sincerely Lasse

Love this tank Lasse! ...and the knowledge you share along the journey. I also would not have found the Swedish fish thread otherwise ;)
Curious if you found the reasoning for the increase in Nitrogen when increasing skim?
cheers,
C

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this tank Lasse! ...and the knowledge you share along the journey. I also would not have found the Swedish fish thread otherwise ;)
Curious if you found the reasoning for the increase in Nitrogen when increasing skim?
cheers, C
I think you misunderstand me - I try to say that there is indications that the rised concentration of other N species than NO3 in my aquarium maybe was because I skim very dry - I do not catch enough proteins/amino acids in the skimmer cup. If I skim wetter - I maybe catch more proteins/amino acids in the cup.

New comparison

comp6.jpg
Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to me that the branches are just thickening up to support further growth... looks bob on to me
I´m not sure what´s happen. I´m rather sure that I have enough of nutrients for the moment but i will do some tests during this weekend

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This have nothing with aquarium to do - but even a reefer need vacation. We travel when either of us (me and my wife) have an important birthday. When she get the age of 60 - we traveled to Thailand - the year after - when I was 60 - we backpack us through the same country. I have to admit - we flew both times. But when I celebrated my 60 years birthday - we took the night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. It was a pleasant trip. It was rather funny - in our small apartment of the train we were two older pairs. In the next apartment - it was youngsters. In the evening - when the train host had decided that it was sleeping time - she was arguing to the youngster - go to bed, go to bed. However in our part - she was coming around every 15 minutes to see if there was any signs that we want to sleep - not saying anything. They have respect for elder in Thailand! Let me admit - we took an extra beer that night :p

Last year (10 years later - you have to do the math by your self) we was in southern Italy. We fly to Vienna and took the train down to the strait of Messina. It was a half "Greta effect" as we say in Sweden. It was a wonderful trip - we said - we repeat this next year but make the major hit on the Adriatic side of Italy.

This year - in January - I surprised my wife with saying - I want to go north this year. I do not know that time that Italy should be total shout down yesterday - I only felt that I want to see snow again - as I did when I grew up.

Of some reasons (baptist of our latest grand child - Tigran) we have to start our travel in Malmö central station. At 12:00 8/3

IMG_20200308_115904.jpg

We stop at Stockholm and leaved around 18:30 the same night. We took the night train to Narvik, Norway.

IMG_20200308_223517.jpg

Passing the arctic circle - early in the morning

IMG_20200309_084854.jpg

Ending up in Kiruna - high up in the north of Sweden. In the picture you will see Kirunavaara ( not Swedish - it is the Sami language) It is the mother of Swedish steel and the main reason (IMO) why Sweden could stay out from WWII (Germany need the ore from this mountain and a neutral Sweden would not be bombed)

IMG_20200309_093045.jpg

The train get further on the track between Kiruna and the always open harbour of Narvik along the "Malmbanan" - still the most important shipping route for Swedish iron ore

IMG_20200309_102508.jpg

IMG_20200309_104552.jpg

From Narvik - we arrive 24 hours after the start in Malmö - we took the bus further out to the Lofoten archipelago - to the town of Harstad. Here you can see a fish for the first time in this post.

IMG_20200310_110549.jpg

We stay in a hotel with the best view from a Sauna that I have ever seen

IMG_20200310_174651.jpg

Stay tuned - updates will follow

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
Back