OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I install a Chaeto reactor today. The goal is a more stable pH during night. For the moment - it will run on a reversed light period between 19:00 to 12:00. This reactor have a LED fixture that´s not consist of Power LEDS, instead it is low power LED and driven by a 12V DC power unit. It means that it is possible to control the intensity by regulating the voltage. it is the same principles when you regulate cooling fans. GHL have an unit Propeller control. With help of this and one 1-10 V outlet I´m able to control the intensity of the light. Good to have when its is newly started

1607027659114.png

The reactor just fit into my sump - had to skip the GFO/biofilter reactor for the moment.

The Chaeto reactor is driven by a Coral Box DCA Smart DC Pump and it is regulated by my P4 (1-10V)

chaeto.jpg

chaeto2.jpg

chaeto3.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

mphammer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is an amazing thread with some great photos. Thank you for documenting this for us!

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done some test with the Hanna Marine nitrate LOW checker. For the moment - my NO3 concentrations is over 5 - therefore I need to do a dilution. I use a fresh mixed saltwater with 35 psu. However - I have it stored in a bottle in room temperature. I did a nitrit check on it today and it end up around 0,04 - 0.05 ppm in that bottle. I prepared a new solution 3.5 g table salt (NaCl) and dilute up to 100 gram with RODI. I use this in order to dilute my sample and I got 6.6 ppm NO3. Because I did know my nitrite concentration in the bottle (FM NO2/NO3 Pro) and the nitrate analyse in that sample show that there was mostly NO2 in the sample (between 80 - 90 %) - I did a new analyse with the pre mixed bottle water as dilution and read 12.6 ppm Nitrate. This strongly indicate that the constant is 100 for the Hanna checker - it means that if you read 0.05 in nitrite in a sample - you should reduce your read NO3 level with 100*0,05 = 5 ppm. Hanna instrument have not answered my question in this thread (I crosspost this post in that thread) but I will do a closer investigation later on and use a known nitrite concentration. This is only one experiment - only an indication.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s eating well. Beautiful fish.
Yes

When I get it (from mt LFS that buy from TMC in UK) - it was placed in my refugium for 1.5 weeks. Its start to eat frozen artemia day 2 (its a lot of pods in the refugium too). After 1.5 weeks I move it out to the display. No reaction from the other fish - it was like it always have been in the DT. After starting acclimatization in my refugium - there have been no bulling from old fish when new fishes are introduced into the DT. It start to eat in the DT from day 1 and today - it is among the first to feed.
Wonderful tank and build thread!
Thank you

Sincerely Lasse

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done some test with the Hanna Marine nitrate LOW checker. For the moment - my NO3 concentrations is over 5 - therefore I need to do a dilution. I use a fresh mixed saltwater with 35 psu. However - I have it stored in a bottle in room temperature. I did a nitrit check on it today and it end up around 0,04 - 0.05 ppm in that bottle. I prepared a new solution 3.5 g table salt (NaCl) and dilute up to 100 gram with RODI. I use this in order to dilute my sample and I got 6.6 ppm NO3. Because I did know my nitrite concentration in the bottle (FM NO2/NO3 Pro) and the nitrate analyse in that sample show that there was mostly NO2 in the sample (between 80 - 90 %) - I did a new analyse with the pre mixed bottle water as dilution and read 12.6 ppm Nitrate. This strongly indicate that the constant is 100 for the Hanna checker - it means that if you read 0.05 in nitrite in a sample - you should reduce your read NO3 level with 100*0,05 = 5 ppm. Hanna instrument have not answered my question in this thread (I crosspost this post in that thread) but I will do a closer investigation later on and use a known nitrite concentration. This is only one experiment - only an indication.

Sincerely Lasse
HI Lasse: that's a very smart way to find out the constant for the Hanna checker. I would suggest to do both analyses in the shortest posible amount of time to rule out the possibility of interconversion, due either to bacterial activity or UV. Yesterday I got the Tropic Marin NO2/NO3 professional test. I had not checked the NO2 concentration along the last years and I found out it is 0,02, which is in the range you have observed in your own tank.

Judging by the photos I wouldn't say that concentration produces any negative effect in your tank (LOL). Anyway, do you think it is something to worry about in terms of a correct N cycle?

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that Copperbands will not eat artificial and / or frozen food. Lucky for me that mine can not read :D:D

Sincerely Lasse

What a great tank, well done.
And yes, make sure they don’t see the literature around all the things they’re doing so well at they aren’t supposed to be doing at all...

Tony

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging by the photos I wouldn't say that concentration produces any negative effect in your tank (LOL). Anyway, do you think it is something to worry about in terms of a correct N cycle?
Thanks - No I do not think is something to worry about - in a biological point of view - not at all. In a chemical point of view - it is another question because it interact with NO3 readings. It is only the way it is.

What a great tank, well done.
And yes, make sure they don’t see the literature around all the things they’re doing so well at they aren’t supposed to be doing at all...

Tony
Thanks - do not worry - I have block them from the internet:D:D

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a test with Red Sea pro bucket today. 3.5 g diluted up to 100 g (100ml) (around 34.4 psu) NO2 was 0 and NO3 0.3 ppm (FM NO2/NO3 Pro test. Will use that salt for the dilution liquid next time I analyse my water. I will also test for NO2 in every dilution I do.

Sincerely Lasse

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back