Lasses Dream Build

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka around 48 %. I use 0.9 L 4% during this time - it means around 0,075 L Vodka -> 75 ml during 14 days -> 5.4 ml/day -> 310 L but injected there it is needed - below the DSB - not in the aquarium.

Sincerely Lasse
I just recently set up a RDSB and I am very curious. How do you inject the carbon source below the deep sand bed? Once you start dosing the carbon source do you have to continue? Do you think the denitrification is due to the DSB or the carbon or the two together? What do you mean when you say reverse flow? Forgive me for the newbie questions

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dream job :)
Sometimes but definitely not a 3 o´clock in the morning when an alarm sometimes goes on:D

To be true - around 1974 when I lived three blocks from the aquarium and had freshwater aquariums - it was a dream to work there - now nearly 50 years later - I´m with building the new aquarium.

But the road map to this have not be like an autobahn - more like the old roads between Switzerland and Italy:p

Sincerely Lasse

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To bad Renolds got the job for the acrylic panel. Mitsubishi would be a better business partner in this venture. Reynolds still owes me a check for 10% of the public aquarium job in Guam. They literally stole the project out from under my company. No love lost there.

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I received a box of fishes - among the a specie that I have look for during a long time. I get 4 different species (total 10 fishes) and they are all placed in my refugium. They are typical "Lasse" fish all of them. I will not say which species I got now - I´ll wait with that for a while. However - in my refugium I had two other fish that I bought 3 weeks ago and it was time to move them into my DT. Since I start with having my newcomers in my refugium for 1 to 3 weeks - there is no problem to introduce them to my DT - after an hour or two - they swim like they never have been somewhere else.

and some pictures

hermit.jpg

scooter.jpg

scooter2.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I get my analyze from @AquaBiomics and it was interesting in many ways. As I suspect - it was not inline with typical tanks in some ways - but maybe not in the way I had expected. Start with the nitrification part. In this case it was normal - it is a functional tank that have been running for 5 years. Interesting was that my ammonium oxidizing organisms seems to be archaea's - not bacteria.

I know that it should show up some Cyanobacteria but I expected them to be in the group Oscillatoriaceae - but not. They was from the group Xenococcaceae - another benthic group. It could explain that my normal tricks with nitrate have not work very well in this case - nitrate level normally around 5 but during this sample - it was over 30 mg/L.

Now to the more unexpected result - the diversity (compared with other tanks) was not as high as I had expected

1623316362995.png

The balance was total unexpected - it shows up that my microbiome was closer to monoculture than to polyculture - att least on the group level.

1623316619987.png

There is one group that dominate - the Oceanospirillaceae. In this group both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria exist. I have a DSB with active reverse flow and rather high denitrification rate and at the moment the sample was taken - denitrification seems to be very high (other observations - NO3 was going down from over 30 to below 10 soon after .the sample was taken)

1623318324314.png

It also show up that I had a rather high presence of a fish patogen - vibrio fortis. However - I have had no visible signs of any disease in my aquarium. There was two individuals that disappear during this time - but they did not show up any disease problems - on the contrary - I notice a eye inflammation in two of my threadfin cardinals but - it disappear by itself after o couple of days.

The eDNA rapport coming with shows no known parasites ( note it is a no QT display) and report that I have aiptasia in the system. That I know because it is a colony in one of mu backgrounds modules there my aiptasia fighters do not can reach. It is also a place for a huge colony of sun coral so the module is feeded every day :D

It report no asterina but that´s not really the truth - i have a lot of them - or at least a small algae eating sea star. But it is doing i good job with my windows - nema problema. The eDNA also show a high prescience of sponges.

1623319344013.png
The picture only show the identified Eukaryotic not the non identified. It would have been good to know how many percent that could be identified because ther is a lot I know I have but not identified here,

Interesting results and worth the money for the moment. Maybe I´ll take a new test in a year or so,

Sincerely Lasse

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at some of your pictures and videos, you have some really cool looking fish! Is there a list of all the fish in your tank somewhere? If so, I would love to see it! I want to research some of the fish I've seen here :)

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping more updates about public aquarium progress will appear on the other site. Been dry for about 2 weeks.
It will come

Looking at some of your pictures and videos, you have some really cool looking fish! Is there a list of all the fish in your tank somewhere? If so, I would love to see it! I want to research some of the fish I've seen here :)
I´ll se if I can put together an updated list - what I have today. I have some interesting fish in refugium - will add them in a week or two

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I love this hobby - sometimes not

Yesterday

1623950856468.png

Today

serantopora.jpg

serantoporac.jpg

Its time to play mt favorite song at these occasions

The bright side in this case is more bright light down in the aquarium.

Another thing is that I bought a lot of shrimps from a guy that close down its aquarium

2 of these

shrimp1.jpg

Three of these

Three peppermints, 25+ eremits and 20+ snails

In the refugium - there is 10 new fishes waiting - all of the long time favourites - I will present them when they have moved in

Sincerely Lasse

TheTangFuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yesterday

1623950856468.png

Today

serantopora.jpg

serantoporac.jpg

Its time to play mt favorite song at these occasions

The bright side in this case is more bright light down in the aquarium.

Another thing is that I bought a lot of shrimps from a guy that close down its aquarium

2 of these

shrimp1.jpg

Three of these

Three peppermints, 25+ eremits and 20+ snails

In the refugium - there is 10 new fishes waiting - all of the long time favourites - I will present them when they have moved in

Sincerely Lasse

Ah, that really stinks. Any clue what caused the deaths?

OP
OP
Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep - what we say in Sweden - klåfingerhet - its impossible to translate but it means that you put your fingers where they should not have been. Seriatopora is know to grow and grow and suddenly if it will be stressed get white in a day or two, This "bush" had grown above the surface and I was afraid that it could be stressed and develop a typ of brown jelly disease - therefore I cut i9t down a little - should have not done that. But on the other han - it was too big and I need to do something. I saved som small frags.

Sincerely Lasse

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like Blood Red Fire Shrimp and Peppermint Cleaner Shrimp. Getting those little guys is definitely something to be happy about :)

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I get my analyze from @AquaBiomics and it was interesting in many ways. As I suspect - it was not inline with typical tanks in some ways - but maybe not in the way I had expected.

Was there anything in aquabiomics report that might have been predictive or explanatory for the coral die-off that came later?
(I think I remember you've also had seriatopora grow huge and die off before, so just curious if there was a pathogen detected)

I ask because similarly to you, I sent off an aquabiomics sample and a few weeks later I cut a portion of a hardy soft coral, and had a coral infection with a brown-jelly-like appearance at the site of the cut. (The sarcophyton is tough, it eventually shrugged off the infection - I'm more surprised it got it in the first place.) My aquabiomics sample was a few days after yours and so it will have to wait for the next batch.

Thanks for sharing, Lasse.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back