leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick pictures of the new left side.
I'll have to tweak some things tomorrow but I think I did pretty well for only like 15 minutes
20180406_215332.jpg 20180406_214456.jpg 20180406_214450.jpg

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DSC02073.jpg DSC02115_1.jpg

And finally here's a few pictures of the weeping willow toadstool from Legendary corals. My male clownfish has started to live in it today.
Love the toadstool, let me know if you have a frag of it and willing to trade.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I did some maintenance - moved some corals around and cleaned off the rocks with a turkey baster. Adjusted the flow a little. Cleaned the refugium a bit because some of my chaeto is dieing.

The clownfish are looking a little better today but I haven't seen one of the jawfish or the rainsford gobies.

I'm going to do a water change today. But I can't find the motivation to test my water. I'm pretty certain my nitrates are very high since I've been feeding a lot and my chaeto isn't growing. I'm not running any chemical filtration right now, either.

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bite the bullet and test the water. You may not want to see the results, but knowing is always better than not knowing. loosing livestock sucks and really gets to me when it happens too, but don't focus on what you've lost, focus on making sure you don't loose anything else. if your nitrates are super high than at least you will know that changing more water will help. who knows, they may not be as bad as you think, but at least you'll know.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright params are a little bit off, but pretty much what I expected. This seems to be a theme every time I test my water. Ca and Mg always high (despite NEVER dosing mg and dosing C less than once a month) and dosing alk every other day (sometimes a little less if i forget).
Salinity: 1.025
kH: 6.7
Calcium: 490
Mg: 1600
Phosphate: 0.36-0.64
Nitrate: 64+

I wish my dumb chaeto would grow, it was doing well at first.

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, if only we could trade eachother half of our tank water, lol... I struggle to keep nitrates above 1 but my phosphate is close to double yours. And I can’t keep my cal and mag up despite dosing every other day... my chaeto also melted recently... thanks are weird...

Your Kh is pretty low though, I winder if there’s any drawbacks to just dosing the kh part of 2 part...

How’s your ammonia and nitrite? With nitrate so elevated I’d be surprised if those weren’t elevated at least a little too.... maybe try nopox or a different macro? Algae barn may be able to help you find a Macro that will work... As a last resort let Gha grow and manually remove the clumps when it gets long?

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salt mix (VibrantSea) seems to have very high levels naturally. I've been dosing only reef builder. I would like to switch to kalk in my ato but I don't think that's feasible with my seemingly unbalanced comsumption.
I don't have ammonia or nitrite test kits but I feel like if those were present I'd be having major issues with my corals. I have lots of biofiltration (Seachem matrix) in my sump.
I also don't really have a lot of algae growing, just some brown stringy stuff but only 1-2 very very small patches of hair algae.
I am thinking of switching some things up soon.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sherbert died today. :(
IMG_20180331_225919_082.jpg

I guess from the ich/velvet, even though he was acting totally normal yesterday. RIP. :(

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my water on Friday afternoon and found 0.25ppm ammonia. I'm not sure if that is from Sherbert's body or if it is what caused or contributed to his death. But I'm not sure how I'd have an ammonia spike otherwise. I dosed prime to lock it up, and dosed more today. All corals are fine, fish are all acting normal still. I can still see spots on the clownfish and crescent tail fairy. Can't see any on my earmuff Wrasse or jawfish but they are lighter colored and it's hard to tell. They're all still eating although the jawfish don't eat pellets. I'm still feeding nls ich shield 2x a day.

Temp has gone up to 79 (normally 77) due to the temporary warm weather.

I also found a baby sea hare in my tank.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just read your thread. Sorry for the losses. I had 6 wrasse and my white tail tang die a little over a month ago. I thought it was ich but the white tail had too many spots for ich so I think it was velvet. I thought it was gone at points and then noticed it in the evening more. Whitetail died first after a little over a week once I noticed it and then it wiped out all my wrasse. Cleaner first, then both juvenile Rhomboids, exquisite. My flame and Brunneus lasted the longest but both died in QT. The Brunneus was with me for almost 2 years. I was lucky enough to trap them in my acclimation box instead of dismantling the tank to remove them. They died in cupramine treatment within a week.

But I did struggle with maintaining as opposed to eradicating since they were fighting it off. Now I am about 1 month fallow and have three wrasse in QT.

Good luck and following along.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back