LED or T5?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want some UV, try gardening under a dozen 1000 watt HPS or MH.
And that applies to coral culture how?

somehow we went from assuming the dribble of UV is magic and that the sugar content of peaches means anything here..;)

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that applies to coral culture how?

somehow we went from assuming the dribble of UV is magic and that the sugar content of peaches means anything here..;)
I don't know, I believe you started it on page 4 I think, I was just chiming in with my experience, you know, what forums are used for. Gaining knowledge from people's experience?

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't corals build their pigment to defend against UV radiation, to a degree? I thought I read that on this forum somewhere. I grow much nicer plants than corals, that's for sure. I'm more green thumb than .... Blue?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't corals build their pigment to defend against UV radiation, to a degree? I thought I read that on this forum somewhere. I grow much nicer plants than corals, that's for sure. I'm more green thumb than .... Blue?
Yes.. they can..
I turn a nice golden brown too.. Doesn't mean it's healthy..

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both in a hybrid fixture?
I have nothing against hybrids.. or any type of lighting... they all have been proven to work.. UNDENIABLY proven to work.
right amount of photons, water parameters and you are good to go..

Certainly different spectrums produce different results.. be it from producing normal pigments, photosynthetic pigments or even the right amount of certain wavelenght light to SEE the pigments (think of how black plants look w/ just red/blue LED's) the "better" or "worse" thing I consider mostly personal preference..AFAICT.

Let's put it this way who determines the "correct "color?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
funny.. wasn't an orig option..
LED or T5?
Yeah, well T5s will give different results than LEDs and many think those results are better for the coral's metabolism than ANY LED on the market. Even BRS said that, remember? They said they recommend T5s for the metabolism and LEDs for looks. They sell all of what there is available for both types. If some of the available T5 bulbs emit UV they are part of that good juice. besides, actual results matters. Go ask BRS exactly what they mean by that. I've been doing it for many years here. But, still... it's a matter of results and they are different. Different people will choose different results.

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on. The lighting zealots regardless of their affiliations are getting really tiresome.....
Never gets too tiresome. Specially seen people excited about real results, my friend.
No one is forced to participate in threads like this.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have nothing against hybrids.. or any type of lighting... they all have been proven to work.. UNDENIABLY proven to work.
right amount of photons, water parameters and you are good to go..

Certainly different spectrums produce different results.. be it from producing normal pigments, photosynthetic pigments or even the right amount of certain wavelenght light to SEE the pigments (think of how black plants look w/ just red/blue LED's) the "better" or "worse" thing I consider mostly personal preference..AFAICT.

Let's put it this way who determines the "correct "color?
I completely agree with you on this. Thanks.
And yes, there is no better or worse, as we know. It's a matter of personal preference!!! AND a matter of comparison to a standard. There are different goals people look for.
First time I agree 100% with you.
What I really expect is that people who choose T5s because of the "better results" (which is personal preference) to be respected. Also same to LEDs and same to halides. Simple as that.
Good talk!

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Details on build/particulars?
All internal parts and components were purchased from Nanobox. Originally, this started out as an ATI/LED hybrid. I wanted the challenge of led only. I had and old coralife halide fixture laying around. I gutted it and installed what you saw in the photos.
Here's what it looked like when it started out as an ATI/Hybrid, but I changed my mind and didn't want T5's

Here's what I ended up with

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back