LED or T5?

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own indoor gardening of 10+ years is my proof, plus there is such a thing as horticulture articles, studies, etc... That can be googled. Plus hortilux would NOT build such a lamp if it were detrimental, horticulture is what they do, for more years than most and they produce some of the most expensive bulbs that nobody would buy if they didn't prove themselves better than the competition.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think God would make spectrum of the sun with 3 types of UV just to be detrimental? In the right amount it is beneficial to almost all organisms. The fact there is a negative side of UV in nature doesn't mean it doesn't have it's place for optimal health on organisms. The fact that the majority of papers are written to proof THEIR vision about UV, and don't take me wrong, they find out lots of damaging aspects UV could cause, doesn't mean that overall UV shouldn't be beneficial (read favorable and advantageous). God knows more than anyone else, my friend. And that is not a matter of faith.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oreo, a fast search led me to this:
I know you like LEDs, so I found something to excite your pigments. :p

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ex
Do you think God would make spectrum of the sun with 3 types of UV just to be detrimental? In the right amount it is beneficial to almost all organisms. The fact there is a negative side of UV in nature doesn't mean it doesn't have it's place for optimal health on organisms. The fact that the majority of papers are written to proof THEIR vision about UV, and don't take me wrong, they find out lots of damaging aspects UV could cause, doesn't mean that overall UV shouldn't be beneficial (read favorable and advantageous). God knows more than anyone else, my friend. And that is not a matter of faith.

Think God made the Spanish flu as well. Bubonic Plague..Sleeping Sickness, Potato Blight..

UVb is essential for large fruit and flowers on many plants,

I've never read about the above. Fair to ask for a reference isn't it?

Again..
Sunlight provides the energy of photosynthesis in sessile plants and also plays an essential role in regulation of their entire life cycle. However, ultraviolet-B (UV-B) light, as an indispensable component of sunlight, can
xxretardxx plant growth by causing DNA damage, generating reactive oxygen species, and inhibiting photosynthesis1. To survive in sunlight, plants have to evolve the specific mechanisms perceiving and responding to the UV-B radiation2,3.

Well found this..
Unlike the sugar results in ‘Tainongtianmi’, the sugar 404 content after 1.44 kJ·m−2·d−1 UV-B radiation was significantly enhanced, the sugar 405 content in this experiment of ‘Lumi 1’ was slightly lower than in the control at 406 maturity, which may have resulted from the different peach varieties used. 407 High-intensity UV-B irradiation reduces the photosynthetic capacities of plants, 408 resulting in crop plants becoming shorter, and having lower yields and chlorophyll 409 contents, as well as undergoing photosystem II damage and a change in the carbon 410 partitioning in plant organs (Schumaker et al., 1997; Feng et al., 2003; Zhang et al., 411 2016). The sugars may have been reduced because of long-term UV-B radiation

But seems to be a "it depends" thing.. ;)

Last edited:

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the problems I have been having with my leds I would go t5 they just work

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ex

Think God made the Spanish flu as well. Bubonic Plague..Sleeping Sickness, Potato Blight..

Again..
This was years ago, I'm sure if you are interested Google will help. I've been indoor gardening since the early 2000's. Cherry picking one article about UV being harmful to plants and buying it 100% without further research is your problem, not mine. I didn't read the article, did they blast the plants with unatursl amounts of UV to promote their theories? Probably. Most so call research is biased from the get go to come to the conclusion the person wants. Try a simple search for maximum yield or many other horticulture based resiurces. Or gain access to a college to access peer review articles, I don't have access to those anymore. It definitely helps with quality of fruit/flower production from my many years of personal experience. Call up a horticultural researcher or large indoor greenhouse operation and ask them. You are allowed to believe what you want. I'll believe what works for me.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ex

Again..
I understand about asking for the reference for that in particular.
Let's wait for it...
You forgot to include the COVID-19 in your terrible list.
Thanks for your quote:
"Sunlight provides the energy of photosynthesis in sessile plants and also plays an essential role in regulation of their entire life cycle. However, ultraviolet-B (UV-B) light, as an indispensable component of sunlight, can
xxretardxx plant growth by causing DNA damage, generating reactive oxygen species, and inhibiting photosynthesis1. To survive in sunlight, plants have to evolve the specific mechanisms perceiving and responding to the UV-B radiation2,3."

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In summary, modulation of UV-B light in agriculture systems constitutes a promising tool to increase crop production and protection against pests. However, the inherent complexity of the UV-B-mediated effects on plant–herbivore interactions when the crosslink effects of different abiotic conditions are considered demands for a better understanding of plant responses to these changing environment conditions.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many years of using halides supplemented with led's (reef reefbrite xho) I finally thought I would take a crack and challenge myself with led only. Howevever, I wasn't happy with any of the commercially available fixtures. I liked the physical looks of them, but not the actual led layouts. Point being, IMO i agree with Aardvark1134. More pucks, but panel style. This is how I did my DIY using nanobox V3 arrays. So far so good on my SPS dominant tank. I'm getting really good spread, no shadowing and excellent color blending. I realize this thread has gotten off topic from the OP, but with all this talk I wanted to share.

Details on build/particulars?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Details on build/particulars?
Simple.. use these and enough of them.. ;)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back