LED PCB

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of a site that will make pcb's for led arrays that are about 95% complete or even require a little soldering and will allow a purchase of just 1 or 2 or are majority mass item buys ?

I would love to join the make my own array on a pcb to exactly what I like (not that there is none already available that aren't great).

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't found one that will do it without considerable expense.

I know and it wouldn't surprise me with what I would want.

I would love to have a all in one board with room for 10-14 Lux C diodes,3 channels,on-board mounting spots for 3 ldds,on-board 0-10v dimmer and 3 ports for 3 pots to dim the ldd's.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would more than likely run you a couple hundred bucks for the initial then about $15 a board.

I had something similar I talked to a manufacturer about a year ago and that was the estimate. When you get into the hundreds of boards it drops considerably.

I could have ordered 121 (weird number) for $7.80 each with no setup fee. IIRC I would have to dig up the email.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of a site that will make pcb's for led arrays that are about 95% complete or even require a little soldering and will allow a purchase of just 1 or 2 or are majority mass item buys ?

I would love to join the make my own array on a pcb to exactly what I like (not that there is none already available that aren't great).

Have you thought about making your own pcb's using a 3D printer? If you don't have a 3D printer maybe you could partner up with someone who has one that would be willing. Ohhh, I don't know who but maybe the guy who's post is above this post might be interested. Baahhhhhh!

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would more than likely run you a couple hundred bucks for the initial then about $15 a board.

I had something similar I talked to a manufacturer about a year ago and that was the estimate. When you get into the hundreds of boards it drops considerably.

I could have ordered 121 (weird number) for $7.80 each with no setup fee. IIRC I would have to dig up the email.

Jesus H !!! That is crazy,but I mean for someone who has the money to throw around I guess that isn't bad. I mean I know if you have the parts laying around it could probably be had for cheap.

In all reality how much do you think it would really cost ? Or would it not even be worth it ?

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about making your own pcb's using a 3D printer? If you don't have a 3D printer maybe you could partner up with someone who has one that would be willing. Ohhh, I don't know who but maybe the guy who's post is above this post might be interested. Baahhhhhh!

I definitely don't but it would be pretty cool to do it.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reflowing is pretty simple. You just need some solder paste and a SMD reflow station. If you are only doing small projects like this with larger components then you can get by with a cheapo....

https://www.amazon.com/YOUYUE-858D-Station-Soldering-Digital/dp/B00P8Z4RPG

This model gets rebranded all the time. I actually have a W.E.R 858D which works well for large passives but I mainly use it for heat-shrink tubing.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look through the site you may find a pre done option and save money and only have to replace a few diodes to meet your own particular taste....such as.

https://www.kiwilighting.com/5-chan...marine-radion-xr30w-pro-aquarium-led-lighting

I've toyed with playing with one of these for fun. I would still end up just buying a finished eco-tech. By the time I DIY it all with power supplies, controllers, apex ready....all that jazz...not sure I'm saving much money.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiming in on what @JDowns just said... good video here.

Also, a lot of people buy cheap toaster ovens and hack them to reflow.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BlueAcros seem to be a good complete puck no soldering needed. At an average price of $5 per chip the price really isn't bad. I know you can get chips on a roll for half that but you'd have to buy the pcb, solder paste, solder station, etc.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody said hotplate, the kind u plug in for cooking. May be easier to control the temperature?

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Matt Carden I have same arrays saved I found on ebay that are about $20 cheaper than the ones on that site,some with all the "saltwater" arrays they sell also. I want to say they have a store front on ebay.

I admit,you are right Nanobox,BlueAcro,Steves,LedGroupBuy all have nice arrays but it would be a fun project you have to admit. I also love to tinker so it would be fun.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.8%

Back