LED PCB

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by Steven Garland, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Steven Garland

Steven Garland Active Member

Does anyone know of a site that will make pcb's for led arrays that are about 95% complete or even require a little soldering and will allow a purchase of just 1 or 2 or are majority mass item buys ?

I would love to join the make my own array on a pcb to exactly what I like (not that there is none already available that aren't great).

dantimdad likes this.

2. dantimdad

dantimdad Valuable Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor North Alabama Reef Club R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I haven't found one that will do it without considerable expense.

3. Steven Garland

I know and it wouldn't surprise me with what I would want.

I would love to have a all in one board with room for 10-14 Lux C diodes,3 channels,on-board mounting spots for 3 ldds,on-board 0-10v dimmer and 3 ports for 3 pots to dim the ldd's.

4. dantimdad

dantimdad Valuable Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor North Alabama Reef Club R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

That would more than likely run you a couple hundred bucks for the initial then about $15 a board.

I had something similar I talked to a manufacturer about a year ago and that was the estimate. When you get into the hundreds of boards it drops considerably.

I could have ordered 121 (weird number) for $7.80 each with no setup fee. IIRC I would have to dig up the email.

Matt Carden likes this.
  5. crusso1993

crusso1993 Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Hospitality Award

Have you thought about making your own pcb's using a 3D printer? If you don't have a 3D printer maybe you could partner up with someone who has one that would be willing. Ohhh, I don't know who but maybe the guy who's post is above this post might be interested. Baahhhhhh!

dantimdad and Steven Garland like this.
  6. Steven Garland

Jesus H !!! That is crazy,but I mean for someone who has the money to throw around I guess that isn't bad. I mean I know if you have the parts laying around it could probably be had for cheap.

In all reality how much do you think it would really cost ? Or would it not even be worth it ?

crusso1993 likes this.
  7. JDowns

JDowns Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

8. Steven Garland

I definitely don't but it would be pretty cool to do it.

crusso1993 likes this.
  9. dantimdad

crusso1993 and Steven Garland like this.
  10. Steven Garland

YES !!! Those would be great. But the thermal pads have to be the correct sizing for whatever diodes you want to use right ?

11. JDowns

JDowns Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Reflowing is pretty simple. You just need some solder paste and a SMD reflow station. If you are only doing small projects like this with larger components then you can get by with a cheapo....

https://www.amazon.com/YOUYUE-858D-Station-Soldering-Digital/dp/B00P8Z4RPG

This model gets rebranded all the time. I actually have a W.E.R 858D which works well for large passives but I mainly use it for heat-shrink tubing.

crusso1993 and dantimdad like this.
  12. dantimdad

Thanks. I will look into one of those.

crusso1993 likes this.
  13. JDowns

If you look through the site you may find a pre done option and save money and only have to replace a few diodes to meet your own particular taste....such as.

https://www.kiwilighting.com/5-chan...marine-radion-xr30w-pro-aquarium-led-lighting

I've toyed with playing with one of these for fun. I would still end up just buying a finished eco-tech. By the time I DIY it all with power supplies, controllers, apex ready....all that jazz...not sure I'm saving much money.

crusso1993 and dantimdad like this.
  14. crusso1993

crusso1993 Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Hospitality Award

Chiming in on what @JDowns just said... good video here.

Also, a lot of people buy cheap toaster ovens and hack them to reflow.

15. dantimdad

Sorry but that dude's voice is amazingly annoying!

crusso1993 and Steven Garland like this.
  16. Steven Garland

Hmmm,interesting. I have seen people use skillets and the little tiny ovens.

17. dantimdad

Anyone uses my cast iron and they are going to get hit with it!

:D

18. Matt Carden

Matt Carden Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

The BlueAcros seem to be a good complete puck no soldering needed. At an average price of $5 per chip the price really isn't bad. I know you can get chips on a roll for half that but you'd have to buy the pcb, solder paste, solder station, etc.

crusso1993 likes this.
  19. Matt Carden

Matt Carden Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Somebody said hotplate, the kind u plug in for cooking. May be easier to control the temperature?

theatrus likes this.
  20. Steven Garland

@Matt Carden I have same arrays saved I found on ebay that are about $20 cheaper than the ones on that site,some with all the "saltwater" arrays they sell also. I want to say they have a store front on ebay.

I admit,you are right Nanobox,BlueAcro,Steves,LedGroupBuy all have nice arrays but it would be a fun project you have to admit. I also love to tinker so it would be fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted