LED PCB

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about making your own pcb's using a 3D printer? If you don't have a 3D printer maybe you could partner up with someone who has one that would be willing. Ohhh, I don't know who but maybe the guy who's post is above this post might be interested. Baahhhhhh!

Wish it worked like that, but sadly no ;) Milling PCBs also won't work on metal core substrate as you can't control the depth enough to not cut through the insulation material and into the metal core (though works fine for copper clad fiberglass).

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use China for prototyping (... you can't beat the cost), but move to a US manufacturer for the metal PCBs once I have something nailed down. The thermal performance of the US brand-name metal core materials is a lot better than the Chinese budget stuff (though you could get it made there as well).

I know you have connections and the materials and all of that,but how much would the array cost you built in the start of your new thread ?

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you have connections and the materials and all of that,but how much would the array cost you built in the start of your new thread ?

Realistically, qty 10-50 metal core PCB from China (single layer) will run you about $50-80 shipped, depending on the number of square inches of the bounding box. No one will sell you one :)

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically, qty 10-50 metal core PCB from China (single layer) will run you about $50-80 shipped, depending on the number of square inches of the bounding box. No one will sell you one :)
But what if YOU were able to make them for buyers,is what I guess I really should have said lol

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish it worked like that, but sadly no ;) Milling PCBs also won't work on metal core substrate as you can't control the depth enough to not cut through the insulation material and into the metal core (though works fine for copper clad fiberglass).

Still learning... thanks!

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both lol ?

Really varies. Loading new LEDs on an existing board is not an issue - the PnP is already all setup so it’s a matter of switching some feeder slots around.

I like making new boards for sport if they’re not totally crazy. I usually don’t charge if I think it’s viable as a more general appeal product or if I want to try a concept out. I can’t load and assemble or even procure the parts at anywhere near the cost of direct-from-Shenzhen though.

If you’re interested in the pricing dichotomy consider an inductor I use on my LED drivers. The Abracon part is a $0.40 in quantity, the equivalent size and shape and similar spec Chinese Sunlord part is... $0.06 in quantity. This pricing structure of course doesn’t hold for name brand Cree/Lumileds parts, unless they’re bottom bin or fakes.

OP
OP
Steven Garland

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really ideally what I am looking for,there was just schematics for it not price:

20190111_094239.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back