Legit jawbreakers???

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy just grabbed some shrooms that the seller advertised them as jawbreakers. My buddy told me he has had some pretty good growth out of this shroom, going from one larger polyp to arond 7 already. He paid a jawbreaker price so we are wondering if they are real deal and just need some more time for the colors to come in.

sellers photos:
842442054_LXAY5-XL.jpg

842442024_QFqCt-XL.jpg

842442030_o98mE-XL.jpg

OP
OP
myzislow

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing that makes me question them the most is the fact that his adult polyps are huge and are pretty much just orange with some red speckles. I would assume they would have more colors by now being they are that large but maybe im wrong. Hardly a shroom expert haha.

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might be similar but a different strain? I know I've had a legit one for about 3 months and the growth rate is like a snails pace. Most intense and vivid color in my tank and I wish it was as a prolific grower as your friends and I had 7 polyps by now :( They look awesome but very much doubt they are jawbreakers. Not with that kind of growth.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the lack of other colors, I'd also question the growth rate. Everyone that has them indicates that they are painfully slow growers...

OP
OP
myzislow

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the lack of other colors, I'd also question the growth rate. Everyone that has them indicates that they are painfully slow growers...
That was the first thing I told my buddy actually. Definitely interested to see what others have to say.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice try but no cigar put that shroom in a catagory of its own

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no. Mine just poped some baby's though im so excited.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never had one but looks pretty darn close to what you have Troylee. Notice also the color of the mouths are the same.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One things that raises a flag with me yes orange is the base color. But then red "Streeks" come in. You have little blotches which i have NEVER seen on any Jawbreaker.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does in shape and texture but for the size of them polyps I
Would think there would be way more red in them... Every time mine
Sprouted a baby it was all red then the orange developed and took over... Really hard to tell from the
Pics but in person it's super bright hence the name "jawbreaker" it just pops man super intense bright.... How's the color look irl Josh????

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks similar and a beauty but definitely not a jawbreaker. It would take years to get a colony like that. I'd say maybe 5+ and once they get that size, jawbreakers will usually start growing in the other colors that makes them unique. Check out nanofins adult pics for reference on colors.

Here's mine I got from Ian, for reference and my jaw absolutely broke when I opened the box. never seen something so small, pack such a punch. Brightest thing in my tank, hands down.

100_0784.jpg

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man thats so hard to say without seeing them in person... in the second pic you can see the monster one on the right have a few specs of green who knows maybe it is...:sad: just doesn't seem to have enough color to me personally....maybe it's a different one...dunno :tongue:

OP
OP
myzislow

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude doesn't have any linage on them??
Those pics are the sellers photos, not my friends.

I haven't seen them in person yet but my buddy said they are insanely bright.

He got them from a guy in the bay area who supposedly got them from Aquatic gallery back in the day. I too saw those little green specs and that was another thing that made me think they could be legit.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very well could be then but good gracious a stockpile like that is just unseen or heard of.... the red specks is what throws me off normally you see stripes there solid not little blotches but hey anything is possible i guess.... if they are real i wonder why that monster one doesn't have much color at all... kind of weird...:tongue:

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hybrid is the big word here. They aren't jawbreakers but they are very nice pieces. I'd love to see a hands on, side by side comparison. I've bought mushrooms from a seller on here, that were named "Nuclear Sunrise" and the photo (linked to SC's originals) looked fantastic on the sales thread. Needless to say when I received this shroom, it was a major waste of money. Shroom is dull and sitting in the bottom of my tank and not worth the $100 I spent, more like $5 IMO. Only reason I didn't gripe and complain was I had believed it needed some coloring up to do. Sorry for being skeptical but I've been burnt a few times already by sellers naming thier wild colonies the same as established corals and them turning out to be totally different. Many sellers use this gimic to get top dollar for their no name pieces.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back