Leopard Wrasse in nano reef--short term?

the_reef_keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hear me out and this is all hypothetical. Currently have a 10 gallon build going, and I know that in the long term these wrasses get really big but would it be fine for around a year? (if it's around 1.25 inches) Feeding wise, I would hope to get it to eat frozen in QT, but I have a tibse pod breeding set up with 4 5 gallon buckets that I could dose daily. Feasible or not?

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure as long as you can maintain good water conditions in such a small tank. I have had one in a 20 gallon long frag tank for the past two years.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it is feasible. Leopard wrasses are extremely active and constantly hunting all over the tank and rock structures while swimming a lot in the open water column. These fish are not like a clown who will stick to a small area of the tank...they use all the tank that is available for them to swim. I think a 10g is entirely too small. I quarantined mine in a 10g tank for 3 months...it was cramped in there with minimal distance to swim regularly. I have a 75g tank and feel it seems small for my leopard.

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure as long as you can maintain good water conditions in such a small tank. I have had one in a 20 gallon long frag tank for the past two years.
Do you think it would be fine long term with dosing etc or would there be problems I have a clown gramma and filefish all pretty lazy if I dose do you think I could keep one I have a 20 gal

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Max Nano and a 4’ tank, those who know me will know I have a Blue Star Leopard in my Nano. Before you all go crazy, let me explain.

I have a Jade Wrasse, Radiant Wrasse, Blackfin Fairy Wrasse, and Two Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasses in my 4’ tank. In my nano I have a Naoko Fairy Wrasse and a Blue Star Leopard temporarily as a grow out tank. I don’t recommend it long term however I had to do the nano as this wrasse when I got it, it wasn’t even 0.25 inches. My jade wrasse on the other hand was Atleast 3 if not 3.5 inch and already slightly aggressive. It’s going on 7 months now and the wrasse is 0.75 inch, possibly smaller. The thing I have seen is with wrasses they grow fast then slow down in growth at a certain point (Usually when they’re at the maturing age). If I had to put this guy into my 4’ tank she would’ve been killed due to stress from the larger wrasses. Do I think she could go in now? Maybe, but do I want to risk it? No, the reason why is these guys can get stressed and flip out then wind up dead the next day. It’s even worse when they’re less than an inch as they’re more susceptible to stress.
Will I keep her in the tank for a few more years? Depends, I’d prefer for her to get Atleast 2.5 inches before she and the naoko go into the 4’ tank.

I hope this gives you an idea on what you can do as long as it’s TEMPORARY.
Get your leopard as small as you can, much smaller than 1 inch if possible. If it’s smaller than 1 inch she won’t be as active as everyone says, she will stay nearer to the rockwork.
429CF9FF-A725-4401-9964-23D52F8F0E5E.jpeg

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 45 39.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 59 51.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back