OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received this wrasse from LA. Sold as Female/Juvinile Scott's, Fiji variant. I know LA has a history of sending different wrasses than what people order. Are they correct?
IMG_1844.jpg
IMG_1846.jpg
IMG_1848.jpg
Yes, that's correct.
And I'd also add that their history may be better than you think. Mistakes do happen, though.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only time it happened to me was a melanurus they sent as a Vrolik's which is not that bad of a mistake (although not one a vendor should make).

nwkennard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D86C5101-88E9-4169-8956-D35ABD90C3AE.jpeg
D17C9081-8CD6-4A74-9BA0-3B6912499EB9.jpeg
These just showed up at my LFS, apparently from Australia. First I think is scott’s Second two I have no idea. Let me know what

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These just showed up at my LFS, apparently from Australia. First I think is scott’s Second two I have no idea. Let me know what
scottorum is correct, lineatus on the others. All males.

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I don't have pictures of the wrasses per se, but was hoping you could identify the nuances between these three wrasses for me (aside from their scientific name): Halichoeres biocellatus, Halichoeres claudia, & Halichoeres ornatissimus.

I always see them sold as ornamental wrasse and honestly they look the same to the untrained eye when I try googling them.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I don't have pictures of the wrasses per se, but was hoping you could identify the nuances between these three wrasses for me (aside from their scientific name): Halichoeres biocellatus, Halichoeres claudia, & Halichoeres ornatissimus.

I always see them sold as ornamental wrasse and honestly they look the same to the untrained eye when I try googling them.
Get your scrutiny glasses on. :)
But it's easy to tell these three apart if you know what you're looking for.

H. ornatissimus and H. claudia are a bit similar as adults, but knowing where the questionable fish was collected helps. H. ornatissimus comes from Hawaii, while claudia usually comes from Fiji.
H. biocellatus is easy distinguishable as an adult, but juveniles of this species are also pretty close to juveniles of biocellatus.

Clear as mud? Picture time.

Let's start with biocellatus. It is the most different as it always has the wide white/light green stripe below the eye which continues down the mid-side of the fish. As a juvenile, it also faintly extends to the tail. Also pay attention to the red stripe below the wide white/light green stripe, as it is unique to this species. This is the only one of the three in question where it extends from the nose to the pectoral fins, and then bifurcates into two stripes.

Juvi H. biocellatus:
Halichoeres-biocellatus-jj-0049-100410.jpg

Adult H. biocellatus:
HalichoerBiocellatMarkRosenstein.jpg

As I said, the juveniles of ornatissimus looks similar, but they are easily distinguished by paying mind to the red stripe below the wide white/light green stripe. You can see it does NOT extend back to the pelvic fins in the species. It's also more green overall than biocellatus as a juvi, but that doesn't help much if you haven't seen both before. As an adult, the species gets a pretty uniform pattern across the body. It also gets much larger than that other two in question here, and is also pretty nasty as an adult.

Juvi H. ornatissimus:
IMG7354x7.jpg

Adult H. ornatissimus:
15046751287_74a49af4c9_k.jpg

Lastly, H. claudia is pretty different as a juvi. It does have the identical marking under the wide stripe to ornatissimus, but the markings on the body are very different. As an adult, its markings do not change much, and it remains quite different from ornatissimus by having a seemingly random pattern in comparison.

Juvi H. claudia:
image.jpeg

Adult H. claudia:
halichoeres-claudia-2.jpg

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your scrutiny glasses on. :)
But it's easy to tell these three apart if you know what you're looking for.

H. ornatissimus and H. claudia are a bit similar as adults, but knowing where the questionable fish was collected helps. H. ornatissimus comes from Hawaii, while claudia usually comes from Fiji.
H. biocellatus is easy distinguishable as an adult, but juveniles of this species are also pretty close to juveniles of biocellatus.

Clear as mud? Picture time.

Let's start with biocellatus. It is the most different as it always has the wide white/light green stripe below the eye which continues down the mid-side of the fish. As a juvenile, it also faintly extends to the tail. Also pay attention to the red stripe below the wide white/light green stripe, as it is unique to this species. This is the only one of the three in question where it extends from the nose to the pectoral fins, and then bifurcates into two stripes.

Juvi H. biocellatus:
Halichoeres-biocellatus-jj-0049-100410.jpg

Adult H. biocellatus:
HalichoerBiocellatMarkRosenstein.jpg

As I said, the juveniles of ornatissimus looks similar, but they are easily distinguished by paying mind to the red stripe below the wide white/light green stripe. You can see it does NOT extend back to the pelvic fins in the species. It's also more green overall than biocellatus as a juvi, but that doesn't help much if you haven't seen both before. As an adult, the species gets a pretty uniform pattern across the body. It also gets much larger than that other two in question here, and is also pretty nasty as an adult.

Juvi H. ornatissimus:
IMG7354x7.jpg

Adult H. ornatissimus:
15046751287_74a49af4c9_k.jpg

Lastly, H. claudia is pretty different as a juvi. It does have the identical marking under the wide stripe to ornatissimus, but the markings on the body are very different. As an adult, its markings do not change much, and it remains quite different from ornatissimus by having a seemingly random pattern in comparison.

Juvi H. claudia:
image.jpeg

Adult H. claudia:
halichoeres-claudia-2.jpg

This has been the most helpful information I've recieved on these species! I thought I was going crazy when I saw that these fish had different patterns but were marketed under the same name. This helps a lot!

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sold as female/juvi Cirrhilabrus rubrimarginatus. Correct?
IMG_0205.jpg
IMG_0206.jpg

blebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe cf. solorensis from the reef builders article. It looks identical to ones posted by Dr. Trond Erik Vee Aune.

https://reefbuilders.com/2015/06/22/fairy-wrasses-cyanopleura-group/

I would like to add a C. rubrimarginatus into the tank with this fish. I looked at the inferiority chart and they appear to be in different subgroups, do you think they might be compatible?

fishies.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back