Status
Not open for further replies.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is my Temminckii going to look anywhere like this when he mature?
I can see the color transformation already. A friend did a whole sale mail order and got a bunch of these instead of a number of different wrasses he ordered.
temminckifairywrasse2019042404-jpg.1050910

5ACED3FC-6A4A-4ADF-8940-5DFDF54FA41F.jpeg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is my Temminckii going to look anywhere like this when he mature?
I can see the color transformation already. A friend did a whole sale mail order and got a bunch of these instead of a number of different wrasses he ordered.
temminckifairywrasse2019042404-jpg.1050910

5ACED3FC-6A4A-4ADF-8940-5DFDF54FA41F.jpeg
It has the potential. The one pictured by LADD is a particularly nice specimen...

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL. Funny you bring this up. I've had a long PM going with a member over the course of the past month helping assess his wish list. I noticed this one today when DD listings went live and saw right away it's not punctatus. Then the member messages me and says "I bought the punctatus today". I told him to cancel it. :p So you'll probably see it come back tomorrow or Wednesday.

So what's the deal here? It's definitely temminckii, but temminckii isn't found in Fiji - hence why it got the punctatus label. So either temminckii has a bigger range then previously known, or the Fiji label is wrong on it. I suspect the latter... :)

Its back up and labeled the same.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its back up and labeled the same.
I made no claim to getting the labeled corrected. :p
I could probably reach out, but it's also not that critical. Still in the same complex, regardless.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I made no claim to getting the labeled corrected. :p
I could probably reach out, but it's also not that critical. Still in the same complex, regardless.
LOL! Doh! I did not mean for my comment to come off that way. Guess I assumed when it was cancelled it was explained to DD that it was possibly mislabeled.

I agree same aggressiveness.

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just for kicks, what would be the expected temperament of this specimen with a terminal rose margin fairy, a full grown H. melanurus, female H. timorensis, a cleaner, and a female white spotted (with the half-yellow tail) tamarin?

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, just for kicks, what would be the expected temperament of this specimen with a terminal rose margin fairy, a full grown H. melanurus, female H. timorensis, a cleaner, and a female white spotted (with the half-black tail) tamarin?
How big is the tank?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when it was cancelled it was explained to DD that it was possibly mislabeled.
Maybe? Not sure, but on the same token the customer service folks get told that "they're wrong" a fair bit I imagine, but that doesn't mean the customer is informed, either.
If I reached out, I'd be bypassing customer service, but this is also the sort of thing I hate to take someone's time with. It's kinda petty, in the scheme of things.
I have reached out though for bigger issues in the past, like after I saw several instances of LA sending out pylei mislabeled as something else. Or when they used to have a "female" picture up of solorensis, that was really cf. cyanopleura (ruby head). Those kinds of issues seem more worth an important person's time. :)

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, just for kicks, what would be the expected temperament of this specimen with a terminal rose margin fairy, a full grown H. melanurus, female H. timorensis, a cleaner, and a female white spotted (with the half-yellow tail) tamarin?
How big is the tank?
Ditto that question; the rubrimarginatus is the concern alongside it. But if the tank is big enough...

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you'd probably be okay, but any future Cirrhilabrus additions might be an uphill battle. Depends on the complex, though.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe? Not sure, but on the same token the customer service folks get told that "they're wrong" a fair bit I imagine, but that doesn't mean the customer is informed, either.
If I reached out, I'd be bypassing customer service, but this is also the sort of thing I hate to take someone's time with. It's kinda petty, in the scheme of things.
I have reached out though for bigger issues in the past, like after I saw several instances of LA sending out pylei mislabeled as something else. Or when they used to have a "female" picture up of solorensis, that was really cf. cyanopleura (ruby head). Those kinds of issues seem more worth an important person's time. :)

Makes sense.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If my funds were no object, I'd snap up a rhomboidalis as well.

If cost is an issue, find a Rhomboid female. More years of enjoyment with a stellar wrasse, and not much more than that Temminckii. Plus you'll be able to add more wrasse in the future without the questionable behavior of the Temminckii. Just remember that Rhomboids in same complex as Rubrimargins so use acclimation box.

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I have a box and have used it...the rubrimarginatus has been known to harass newcomers in the past, but has relaxed after a day or two. The timorensis, on the other hand, can be rather persistent in her unsolicited attention to newbies, if she takes a disliking to one in particular.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's weird how individual they can be. Before I knew better I had a rubrimarginatus and lineatus in the same tank...and a bunch of other fairy, flasher and Halichoeres wrasses and never had any aggression.

Ari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help ID this wrasse (as what I was told):
Thank you in advance!

B9438526-7D94-4052-B70A-0FEC8F376485.jpeg

8118C8B5-DC5D-497C-8E39-72D2FD17CB41.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back