Let's Get to Know One Another!

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all know that to have a good community you need have good relationships. And yes, we all know what we like when it comes to reefing, but I would like to get to know everyone a little bit better. Let's become friends, shall we?

This thread is all about getting to know you and sharing interests other than reefing (we all enjoy that obviously). I thought to start off we could post pics of ourselves and our families doing the things that we enjoy. Also, share one, or a couple of things about yourself outside of the hobby! Okay, I'll start.

I am a pastor's wife and teach at our church's private Christian school. I love reading books and collecting them. One of my favorite things is Alabama football!

BryantDenny 08.jpg

Me and my family at a game!

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and my family Pumpkin Picking...I'm a stay at home Dad so me and my Daughter have a tight bond :D

1-43.jpg

2-36.jpg

OP
OP
revsgirl

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awe!! Your daughter is adorable!! Love pumpkin pickin'! So your from New York, I really would like to go there some day! I'm not really that familiar with Long Island. Do you enjoy it there?

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awe!! Your daughter is adorable!! Love pumpkin pickin'! So your from New York, I really would like to go there some day! I'm not really that familiar with Long Island. Do you enjoy it there?
Thanks so much so is yours!

I'm originally from Delaware but have lived on Long Island for several years, I'm slowly getting use to it hahaha you gotta get David up here with your Daughter and do NYC! nothing like NYC

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a geologist by training, with an M.S. plus 2 years of Ph.D. studies (I didn't finish) in carbonate (limestone) geology. I love gardening and growing houseplants of the family Gesneriaceae (african violets and their cousins.) I am a member of the African Violet Society of America, am a violet judge, and a member of the Spring Branch African Violet Club. I like composing music, especially classical. I also grow Phalaenopsis orchids. I really enjoy bird watching as well.

yukako001.jpg

Yukako- african violet chimera

Episcias004.jpg

Episicia 'Ember Lace' - a cousin of african violets

OptimaraEverGrace.jpg

Optimara EverGrace when it sported to 'Ko's Nonstop Interface.' Still trying to capture this variety.

Aradicans006.jpg

Aeschynanthus radicans 'Mona Lisa' another african violet cousin

paphiopedilum.jpg

A Paphiopedilum orchid

violetshow3-5-11028.jpg

My prize winning violets from the last show

xmjxflipx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Dont have a pic right now :nerd: to post but My name is Mark, and i am a Nurse Supervisor (BSN) for United Healthcare, specifically over Clinical services and i mainly handle the medicaid population across the united states.

OP
OP
revsgirl

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm originally from Delaware but have lived on Long Island for several years, I'm slowly getting use to it hahaha you gotta get David up here with your Daughter and do NYC! nothing like NYC[/QUOTE]

I'll make it up there one of these days!

OP
OP
revsgirl

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a geologist by training, with an M.S. plus 2 years of Ph.D. studies (I didn't finish) in carbonate (limestone) geology. I love gardening and growing houseplants of the family Gesneriaceae (african violets and their cousins.) I am a member of the African Violet Society of America, am a violet judge, and a member of the Spring Branch African Violet Club. I like composing music, especially classical. I also grow Phalaenopsis orchids. I really enjoy bird watching as well.

yukako001.jpg

Episcias004.jpg

Episicia 'Ember Lace' - a cousin of african violets

OptimaraEverGrace.jpg

Optimara EverGrace when it sported to 'Ko's Nonstop Interface.' Still trying to capture this variety.

Aradicans006.jpg

Aeschynanthus radicans 'Mona Lisa' another african violet cousin

paphiopedilum.jpg

A Paphiopedilum orchid

violetshow3-5-11028.jpg

My prize winning violets from the last show

That's very unique! So your a surf and turf lover. Your pics are beautiful!

Dont have a pic right now :nerd: to post but My name is Mark, and i am a Nurse Supervisor (BSN) for United Healthcare, specifically over Clinical services and i mainly handle the medicaid population across the united states.

I don't mean to sound like a dummy, but you handle all the medicaid population?

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a high school biology teacher with almost 20 years under my belt; currently I teach aquatic, biology, and horticulture. I've also taught physics, chemistry II, comparative anatomy, 8th grade science, and environmental science in the past. A Wyoming native, I teach school in the same community I was raised in. My wife and I have 5 children between us, and the youngest is a junior in high school, so we pretty much have an empty nest. I enjoy family time, building, landscaping, gardening, photography, woodworking, riding horses with my wife, orchids, reading, various aquarium forums, and working on cars in addition to my many aquariums. I also serve on the board of our local volunteer fire department and am a volunteer firefighter with my BEC card in my nonexistent spare time.

Couple shots of a few of my orchids;

PotRebeccasDelightMoonglowIV.jpg

OrchidI.jpg

BrassaNodosaFBI.jpg

NewSlipper4-15-08.jpg

And my current building project (its a lot further along now, but I haven't taken any updated pictures lately);

FlowersandMisc082.jpg

Last edited:

redhanded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
name - jensen
age - 28
saltwater for about 3-4 years

282559_255363697814192_255255831158312_1259010_6242389_n.jpg

For my day job I am a supervisor/foreman for a structual steel company. Other hobbies include jiu jitsu, surfing, and diving.

cheetofingers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody! My name is Juan, im 27 and from Chicago. I graduated from Loyola University Chicago with a degree in Biology and Psych... currently I work in a chemical lab, while I get my stuff in line to apply for pharmacy school. In my spare time, aside from the reef hobby, I like to draw comic-style art. Here are some examples of my stuff:
tenth2.jpg

eckoalien.jpg

Those are old, and my skills have advanced since then, but you get the idea. Nice meeting you all! :)

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yukako001.jpg

I haven't seen an african violet this color before very very pretty where can I buy one?

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
revsgirl

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a high school biology teacher with almost 20 years under my belt; currently I teach aquatic, biology, and horticulture. I've also taught physics, chemistry II, comparative anatomy, 8th grade science, and environmental science in the past. A Wyoming native, I teach school in the same community I was raised in. My wife and I have 5 children between us, and the youngest is a junior in high school, so we pretty much have an empty nest. I enjoy family time, building, landscaping, gardening, photography, woodworking, riding horses with my wife, orchids, reading, various aquarium forums, and working on cars in addition to my many aquariums. I also serve on the board of our local volunteer fire department and am a volunteer firefighter with my BEC card in my nonexistent spare time.

Couple shots of a few of my orchids;

PotRebeccasDelightMoonglowIV.jpg

OrchidI.jpg

BrassaNodosaFBI.jpg

NewSlipper4-15-08.jpg

And my current building project (its a lot further along now, but I haven't taken any updated pictures lately);

FlowersandMisc082.jpg

Wow! You are definitely one busy fella, I'm sure your community loves you! Those are beautiful orchids BTW. What is it exactly that your building?

name - jensen
age - 28
saltwater for about 3-4 years

282559_255363697814192_255255831158312_1259010_6242389_n.jpg

For my day job I am a supervisor/foreman for a structual steel company. Other hobbies include jiu jitsu, surfing, and diving.

That's awesome that you surf! I've personally never attempted it, since I'm terrified of getting in the ocean. Where are you from that you get to surf?

Hi everybody! My name is Juan, im 27 and from Chicago. I graduated from Loyola University Chicago with a degree in Biology and Psych... currently I work in a chemical lab, while I get my stuff in line to apply for pharmacy school. In my spare time, aside from the reef hobby, I like to draw comic-style art. Here are some examples of my stuff:
tenth2.jpg

eckoalien.jpg

Those are old, and my skills have advanced since then, but you get the idea. Nice meeting you all! :)

You are very talented! That second guy is cute, does he have a name? Do you work in the industry or do you just draw for fun?

firefightered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm a 44yr feller who was born and raised in Toledo Ohio. Went to the Army and became a Green Beret. Got that wild hair out of my system and started sky diving. Got married to a great southern bell and moved to Alabama 21 years ago. She made me quit jumping out of perfectly good airplanes and jumping off bridges so I became a firefighter. I vol in my local community, worked as a pit road firefighter for NASCAR, and am a full time government firefighter at Redstone Arsenal. My little bride and I have 1 WONDERFUL 12 yr old whom we home schooled up till this year. He (we)is very active in boyscouts and sports. My hobbies now are, wood working, turning wood bowls, turning ink pens for our wounded soldiers, R/C airplanes, reefing, and spending time with my family. My son and I are now building a cedar strip canoe which we plan to do some fly fishing next spring. I don't do much in my spare time cause I don't have nun. I'llk post some pics as soon as I figure it out.

Look I figured it out. Here is the 16' prospector
31376_117890698232885_100000358650030_174709_7976610_n.jpg

Last edited:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 90 49.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back