Let's see those DIY nightmares!

DaltoniousMax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby, if you haven't DIY'ed something you haven't been at it long or you are extremely well off. Even if you are the latter this hobby inspires creativity, and have probably given something a go.

Personally I love DIY as part of my reefing journey and that goes well with the fact that I'm BROKE. Like married with kids and just graduated (with a I work while she graduates, she works while I graduate) budget.

Anyway, I just had an acrylic-related nightmare that had me thinking I'm not the only one who may feel like they "bit off more than they can chew."
Who hasn't said, " $x.xx?, pufffft- I can make thaaat." Only to find they would have rather paid for the pro-product.

So let's see those DIY nightmares! If you are like me you don't let them get the best of you in the end; but dang if you could do it again, things would be different. I see a lot of triumphs on threads (most people like to show-off well earned triumphs), but for those of us out there in the thick of a project, let's empathize together!

OP
OP
DaltoniousMax

DaltoniousMax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure I'll start with the inspiration for this thread, I tried to make a media rack for my 24 gal nano out of acrylic. I do not own power tools (besides a dremel, which is awesome) and had to use the "score and snap method," to cut my acrylic. This method is tedious! My final product will work, but dang I am glad it is not going to be seen by anyone but me. I only took one pic, (in the midst of cursing the acrylic/superglue/acetone I didn't feel like taking pics) but this is what I ended up with. I started with enough acrylic to make two of these, but shattered all of it before finally ending up with this final product . I can share what I learned and what to avoid if anyone else is doing anything similar. I hope that will be the ultimate value of a thread such as this:)

IMG_0635.JPG

jlear3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is pretty much this entirely lol. No pictures on my phone but at first I did the baffles with GE silicone II (big no no) then I redid it thinking 2 baffles would be enough for the return chamber, well it's not, now the refuge and return stay the same height and I don't want to remove it for a week to add a baffle because that means I'm without a skimmer for just as long.

alexgray1122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, that egg-crate frag rack is exactly what I had in mind when the time comes! It works though right?

It does work. But sometimes when the crabs wanna get feisty and play tight rope, frags fall because it tips hahaha. So still in the early stages of gathering pieces of equipment to finish the 57 build and then everything moves over to the bigger tank.

OP
OP
DaltoniousMax

DaltoniousMax

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, those dang crabs are good at "shaking things up":/. In hindsight since one of these is most likely in my future, would you go with a stronger magnet or a shorter rack? I guess maybe a combo of the two? Looking forward to seeing pic of the 57 build!

Grimreaperz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar frag rack solution except it consists of Eggcrate and Air Line suction cups! You can see them in this pic lol....they work but sometimes I wake up and one has fallen....pretty annoying...

IMG-20161208-WA0012.jpeg

My nightmare so far would probably have to be a hinged screen lid for a bow front.....

Using screen door frame.
Cutting wedges out to make the bow....

I have attempted it 3 times and scrapped all 3 attempts.....

I'm in the market for a 75g RR RECTANGLE tank now lol.....

cypho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
V1.0 of DIY aquarium monitor/controller. It worked great ... until I realized if I wanted to clean my sump I would have to un-tangle this birdsnest of wires. And even worse, remember where all of the wires went when I put it all back together.

V2.0 included plugs....

IMG_20160319_123627.jpg

3lusive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
V1.0 of DIY aquarium monitor/controller. It worked great ... until I realized if I wanted to clean my sump I would have to un-tangle this birdsnest of wires. And even worse, remember where all of the wires went when I put it all back together.

V2.0 included plugs....

IMG_20160319_123627.jpg

LOL

I am actually impressed with the level of chaos you were able to achieve in that pic.

I say job well done !!! :)

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does work. But sometimes when the crabs wanna get feisty and play tight rope, frags fall because it tips hahaha. So still in the early stages of gathering pieces of equipment to finish the 57 build and then everything moves over to the bigger tank.

Glue it with plenty of silicone and lose the zip ties, it'll be rock solid. Well, not really rock because silicone flexes a bit but you get what I'm saying. :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back