Let's talk about the hanna meters....

  • Thread starter Thread starter Troylee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I got a response email from a tech... He answered a few questions in my email but can't do the aquarium part I guess it's ran by a lady named Jessica who I contacted but haven't heard anything from her...:(
 
You'd think they'd have a better PR thing going with this big release of pocket checkers this year. Does anyone have an account on RC that they could ping Jessic? Her screenname over there is xp964
 
Last edited:
I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I have the PO4 meter, and actually just got the alk checker today, and do not always get 0.00. On my 40 breeder that runs the Ecobak pellets and is sps dominant, I do get a 0.00 reading. On my Biocube, which is skimmerless and only running carbon passively I get a reading of .10, so I assume these are pretty darn accurate. I love them :)
 
I thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I have the PO4 meter, and actually just got the alk checker today, and do not always get 0.00. On my 40 breeder that runs the Ecobak pellets and is sps dominant, I do get a 0.00 reading. On my Biocube, which is skimmerless and only running carbon passively I get a reading of .10, so I assume these are pretty darn accurate. I love them :)

Based on those results, I too would believe they are accurate. However, based on the results below, here's why I believe they are not:

1) 120 Gallon Reef running GFO (now Vodka) and Carbon - 0.00 Results

2) Salt Lake City Tap Water (granted, rated as the best water in the country, but still) -0.00 Results

3) Hanna 1.00 reference test solution - 0.80 results

As far as #3, a 0.20 difference is a matter of life and death.
 
It appears to be another gimmick like the po4 checker....
 
She got a reading of 6.272 dkh on one tank, 5.15 dkh on another tank. She said on the first tank, Salifert was reading 9 dkh.
 
I'll give it a shot at it when I get home from work. The Salifert kit should have the sample if I recall correctly.
 
i dont want to drop the coin for one of those!!!!!! if a friend gets one i will check it against the 3 test kits i own... sailfert, elos, api and see what it comes up with.... i know hanna has to be reading this thread why don't they start answering some questions and give a little support before there products get bashed into oblivion!!!!!!! this whole thing could very well be user error and im hoping it is.... please tell us what were doing wrong!!!!!:(
 
Nope...
Hi Lee,
I'll be happy to! Sorry about the delay, I've been on the road.& I'll take care of it tomorrow and see what all I can clear up.

Regards,

Jessica
 
Last edited:
Alright I just did my own test and followed this video and got 94 ppm, ~5.26 dkh ... yeah, no.

Also noticed:

  • Video says to shake the vial for 30 seconds... It'd be nice if the vials made a better seal and didn't leak liquid everywhere.
  • 2 vials are included with the kit. Only 1 fits in the machine.. wha?
  • Reagents are stupidly hard to get out of the packaging.
Someone's got some explaining to do *shakes fist*
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new