Let's talk about the new apex

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's stunning to me that their big selling point is a water level sensor. It could not have been mystery that the world wants automated no3 and po4 testing.
Trident 2

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Send them to be fixed. Can't remember the guy on here that does it but it's cheap. Neptune has replaced the bum part with an upgraded part.

I pray my new 832 is rock solid like my EB8
This is your guy. He was amazing and actually eased my mind by telling me based on my serial and pix of the internals that mine came from the factory with the necessary improvements.

Reefer Matt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is EXACTLY where I'm at man. Killing me right now.
They announced that yesterday. Ryan from BRS said it was months away from happening.

Reefer Matt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What vids because I can keep on trucking along with mobius and power triggers for skimmer and ato when i hit feed mode until something is available.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The $300 junior is what Ryan has been saying he wanted for some time, an inexpensive monitor. It’s actually not a bad price, to build your own ph monitor at home with reef-pi costs $80-$160 just for the ph probe and circuit

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All they really have to do is come up with new reagents (not easy and maybe not possible even) and let us pick which 3 we want....assuming the photometer used can work for everything.

The reagents are already known -- potassium disulfate for phosphorous and malonic acid for nitrate. It's just a matter of figuring out how to meter the reagent and measure the color change.

I'm guessing it's a bit more difficult to measure than Ca, Mg, or alk as those are all titration tests and you just need to observe a significant shift in color. Po4 and No3 are colorimetry tests where you need to measure the shade/tint of color.

Still, Hanna's already done it. Given what seems like Neptune's periodic habit of licensing and rebranding, maybe they could license Hanna's process in their Triton V2 if Hanna were open to it.

Caveat: I'm not a chemist.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to talk to Ecotech (yes, I know under same umbrella). The ball is in their court to make this work. Kessil and Sicci use IoTA and it works great.

I wonder....could be this was being worked on as mentioned as a possibility in a live stream a while back. On the other hand I can see why it would be scrapped.
This is EXACTLY where I'm at man. Killing me right now.
I hear ya, take my money, no issue, just give me what I want.

migs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ARE the processor and internals (chip, ram, wifi) updated from the A2 to the A3?

migs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, someone asks this! I've been digging through the release information to find any mention of technical specs and I'm kinda baffled at how no one else seems to care, haha.
It is such a hard choice. I have the apex classic - I guess the A1. I need a new head unit for the trident but 2016 was so long ago, I skipped the A2 and waited for the A3. Six years is a long time for technology. If Apex was to run the Apple model, the. The hardware HAS to be better - faster, more memory, more features. If the A3 is truly the same as the A2 but with a different port configuration, then I guess it is time to move on. Does any one recommend an alternative monitoring/control system?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is such a hard choice. I have the apex classic - I guess the A1. I need a new head unit for the trident but 2016 was so long ago, I skipped the A2 and waited for the A3. Six years is a long time for technology. If Apex was to run the Apple model, the. The hardware HAS to be better - faster, more memory, more features. If the A3 is truly the same as the A2 but with a different port configuration, then I guess it is time to move on. Does any one recommend an alternative monitoring/control system?

Why? Is there something the current hardware can't do or isn't doing?

A total change of hardware makes the A2 obsolete and backwards compatibility becomes an issue. They'd be right back to the A1 vs A2 debacle with loads of ticked off customers.

Imagine buying the A2 a month ago, A3 comes out and then they release Trident V2 but only A3 customers can use it. They just lost a ton of customers. Neptune wanted backwards compatibility to be a main priority. You can't do that if you change the internals. If Neptune was being Apple, they would have removed ports, stopped supporting the A1 and A2, and forced you into a subscription model of some kind all while raising the price. I'm pretty darn happy they didn't follow Apple in any way here.

I mean you can look at GHL and Hydros. Neither are faster, better, or have more features in the end. Both have terrible software IME.

migs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have backwards compatibility with new internals. I can have a new wifi chip (2.4 ghz vs 5 vs 6) to support some of the new routers without it changing any backward compatibility. I can have more memory or a faster processor without changing any backward compatibility. The new internals does help you future proof as new probes, capabilities, and features come out. I didn't buy the A2 because I had just but the A1 months before and that really sucked. The A3 would be a big disappointment to me if the internals are absolutely the same... but to each his own.

Last edited:

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is EXACTLY my issue.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? Is there something the current hardware can't do or isn't doing?

A total change of hardware makes the A2 obsolete and backwards compatibility becomes an issue. They'd be right back to the A1 vs A2 debacle with loads of ticked off customers.

Imagine buying the A2 a month ago, A3 comes out and then they release Trident V2 but only A3 customers can use it. They just lost a ton of customers. Neptune wanted backwards compatibility to be a main priority. You can't do that if you change the internals. If Neptune was being Apple, they would have removed ports, stopped supporting the A1 and A2, and forced you into a subscription model of some kind all while raising the price. I'm pretty darn happy they didn't follow Apple in any way here.

I mean you can look at GHL and Hydros. Neither are faster, better, or have more features in the end. Both have terrible software IME.
I'd actually bet that if they did make a Trident 2 that only worked with apex3 or apex2 with an expensive add on module, they would make MORE money because people would grumble a whole lot and then upgrade.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can have backwards compatibility with new internals. I can have a new wifi chip (2.4 ghz vs 5 vs 6) to support some of the new routers without it changing any backward compatibility. I can have more memory or a faster processor without changing any backward compatibility. The new internals does help you future proof as new probes, capabilities, and features come out. I didn't buy the A2 because I had just but the A1 months before and that really sucked. The A3 would be a big disappointment to me if the internals are absolutely the same... but to each his own.

But what is coming out or has come out that the A2 hardware can't do?

Is there some feature that Neptune has said, "Oh we have that technology but the current hardware can't support it so we won't release it?"

If upgrading to the A2 wasn't worth it, than the A3 isn't worth it either. Especially if the new sensors don't intrigue you.

I've never once had my Apex feel slow in some way. So I don't see where processor speed needs to be improved. WiFi chip I can see. Especially if it helps with mesh networks. So far wifi has been spot on for me. I prefer to hardwire but that means a 100ft run on my setup.

Back