Let's talk Saltwater Ponds!

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this is not totally feasible for everyone, and I know for myself it would be tough in the PNW! I have always had the dream of having a saltwater pond, but I feel my one true way I can do it is by building an indoor pond.

Wanted to reach out to the masses and see whether any of you are currently running, building, or planning a saltwater pond! Lets talk ponds and lets get inspired!

I know for a fact I would add a small shark species and ray speces.. but a large school of fish would be pretty amazing as well.. imagine a bunch of tangs greeting you at the water surface just like a school of koi!

Of course could always go that rubbermaid pond style...

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 5.20.20 PM.png

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's without some sort of roof wouldn't rain water, bird poo etc.. just cause issue after issue?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on here or could have been a Facebook group had a massive mangrove lagoon ,
Lighting it to be a reef would be costly and the direction I would want to explore .

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on here or could have been a Facebook group had a massive mangrove lagoon ,
Lighting it to be a reef would be costly and the direction I would want to explore .
Nothing better than that natural light fixture... :)

Friday Sun GIF

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this is not totally feasible for everyone, and I know for myself it would be tough in the PNW! I have always had the dream of having a saltwater pond, but I feel my one true way I can do it is by building an indoor pond.

Wanted to reach out to the masses and see whether any of you are currently running, building, or planning a saltwater pond! Lets talk ponds and lets get inspired!

I know for a fact I would add a small shark species and ray speces.. but a large school of fish would be pretty amazing as well.. imagine a bunch of tangs greeting you at the water surface just like a school of koi!

Built a plywood box pond with rubber pond liner. 280 gallons 5'x 3'6 dimensions. I love it. The fish circle more instead of back and forth at the glass. It was my temp solution to upgrade size so I could start to build my stock before I finish a remodel and setup a new glass/acrylic lagoon tank

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built a plywood box pond with rubber pond liner. 280 gallons 5'x 3'6 dimensions. I love it. The fish circle more instead of back and forth at the glass. It was my temp solution to upgrade size so I could start to build my stock before I finish a remodel and setup a new glass/acrylic lagoon tank
POST PICTURES!!! I wanna see!

Dizi Sunglass GIF by Show TV

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to upgrade to a 90 gallon glass as a temporary solution until I could set up my dream 200 plus gallon mangrove lagoon style tank. My setup is in a daylight basement and its tough to get a large tank down there to only be setup for a few years. So I decided I'd build something as large as the lagoon in place, as the big 6' stock tanks were all round and took up too much space to be an option. It's built in an area where I can separate it into its own room when I remodel to keep dust and debris out. Its insulated on sides and bottom w rigid insulation and has a plywood exterior on 2x4 walls and metal strapping w/ a 45 mil pondliner interior. Been running about two years.

Is a bit blurry was shot with phone. All I have at the moment.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 5.20.20 PM.png

Sounds like you need a greenhouse. Something i have always wanted to do since reading Anthony Calfos coral propagation book many years ago is have a greenhouse with large saltwater troughs.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pass. My fish tank is enough work. Lol!
My friend had an outdoor pond in one of those above ground pools lol!
Tried getting me to get a "pond" set up in my house. Lol!
Maybe try a rubbermaid troft 1st. Lol
D

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to upgrade to a 90 gallon glass as a temporary solution until I could set up my dream 200 plus gallon mangrove lagoon style tank. My setup is in a daylight basement and its tough to get a large tank down there to only be setup for a few years. So I decided I'd build something as large as the lagoon in place, as the big 6' stock tanks were all round and took up too much space to be an option. It's built in an area where I can separate it into its own room when I remodel to keep dust and debris out. Its insulated on sides and bottom w rigid insulation and has a plywood exterior on 2x4 walls and metal strapping w/ a 45 mil pondliner interior. Been running about two years.

Is a bit blurry was shot with phone. All I have at the moment.

This is amazing! Love it and totally the concept I see workable for myself in the future!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%

Back