Lid for curved tank/ finding angles of rounded tank

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Is it possible to find the curve/angle of a tank with only the measurements for the length and width? I’ve got an Aqua Japan-60 (AJ-60) and I broke the glass lid and I've been trying to think of ways to create a diy mesh lid somehow, similar to the ones using the DIY window screen kits/waterbox lids.

The main issue is that the corners in the front of the tank are curved, and I'm unable to get the measurements for the corner radius of the tank. What I do have is the length, width, and height, but I've been unable to find out what the angle of the curve is.

I'm hoping to get clips like the one in the picture below, so then I don't need to find curved frames, but I'd be relying solely on luck that the angles on the front of the tank would line up with the clips.

1679025323109.png

I've been looking to see if anybody has been able to create a DIY lid, but it seems like I'm out of luck finding someone with a similar tank :(

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this help?
How to measure a radius corner

I'm not sure how to go about creating a solid fit for a DIY mesh top. I'd probably use acrylic to create a frame and sandwich some clear mesh. Typing that I can just imagine my frustration in trying to get the mesh tight. Plus I'm not big into DIY so actually, I'd probably take the measurements to one of the custom acrylic lids/mesh companies such as ClearView Lids.

Last edited:

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place a piece of paper on top, trace on paper. Place paper on piece of wood, trace on wood. Cut wood. Use heat gun to bend metal frame in shape of corner. This was the best way I’ve found looking on the forums.

OP
OP
D

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this help?
How to measure a radius corner

I'm not sure how to go about creating a solid fit for a DIY mesh top. I'd probably use acrylic to create a frame and sandwich some clear mesh. Typing that I can just imagine my frustration in trying to get the mesh tight. Plus I'm not big into DIY so actually, I'd probably take the measurements to one of the custom acrylic lids/mesh companies such as ClearView Lids.
Thanks for the advice! I think it'll be a headache to get the mesh to fit well along the rounded corners, so I might just make an acrylic frame and somehow get glass cut to size for the front to make a hinged lid plus a normal diy mesh top for the rest of the tank.

I'd like to avoid DIY routes whenever possible, but it seems like I have no other option lol

OP
OP
D

DiscoMush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place a piece of paper on top, trace on paper. Place paper on piece of wood, trace on wood. Cut wood. Use heat gun to bend metal frame in shape of corner. This was the best way I’ve found looking on the forums.
Thank you for the tips! lol I don't know why I didn't think of tracing the rounded corners inside the tank until you mentioned it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back