Lightning for Reefer-S 1000

Enchanted Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an 82" tank wouldn't (2) 36" be better?
I have 2 36” over mine, but a fellow reefer mentioned that the 36” bulbs are only a few bucks cheaper than the 72” so since you have to replace them at least once a year you’ll save some $$$ on bulb replacement.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a mixed reef tank, and love sps. I was hoping (4) of the AI Hydra 32s would be enough. But doesn’t sound like it will be for SPS. Looking for best bang for buck.

Radion seems way overpriced, I’ll pass on those. So I’ll need to decide between (4) Hydra 64s or (4) Red Sea 160S. Red Sea only suggests to use 3, but it sounds like that won’t produce good SPS?

Radions are actually the best bang for your buck in terms of par

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radions are actually the best bang for your buck in terms of par
As I am researching more and more, I am leaning more and more towards doing 4 of the Radion XR15 G5s. I think it will be plenty of light for a new tank and then when I want to ramp up PAR for more SPS I can supplement with T5 or XHO hybrids. I love the AI preset configurations, but willing to sacrifice for better color and growth.

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for anyone who comes across this threat, I ended up picking the Radion XR15 Blues. I will start with 4 and then add 2 more over time. The reasoning for this is after watching BRStv investigates, I've learned that better spread and less shadowing can be achieved easier with multiple XR15s. Essentially, 5 XR15s can do a better job than 3 XR30s, and 6 XR15s can do just as good, if not a better job, then 4 XR30s. When comparing pricing you also saving a good chunk of money going with the XR15s. In my case $600+.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The XR30s are great when you have a really deep tank (say 30") - as you can mount them vertically instead. I like your plan to go with 4x XR15s with the option of 2x more XR15s at a later date. Are you going with a hanging RMS rail?

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The XR30s are great when you have a really deep tank (say 30") - as you can mount them vertically instead. I like your plan to go with 4x XR15s with the option of 2x more XR15s at a later date. Are you going with a hanging RMS rail?
I was going to go with the standard arms originally but with 6 that could get ugly and costly. I will likely get the Ecotech hanging RMS kit + 80.5" track which is good for aquariums 78.5"- 88.5". With the track being so long and so many lights im thinking I may need two hanging kits and do 3 support cables instead of 2.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to go with the standard arms originally but with 6 that could get ugly and costly. I will likely get the Ecotech hanging RMS kit + 80.5" track which is good for aquariums 78.5"- 88.5". With the track being so long and so many lights im thinking I may need two hanging kits and do 3 support cables instead of 2.
That's probably not a bad idea. Now all you need is a motorized lift for your lights!

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's probably not a bad idea. Now all you need is a motorized lift for your lights!
Okay I finally close on our new home April 5th. Once we sign the dotted line I can finally make the purchase on the reefer-s 1000 and lights... took a bit longer than expected, but almost here!

I'm finalizing my cart and am back to the ole' XR15 vs XR30 debate. At the moment I am planning to do a hanging RMS rail with 4 of the XR15s and will add 2 more later on. The thing I am worried about is with a mounting height of 8-10", the lights may look a little goofy with a HMS rail so low... would 2 XR30s actually be a better bet for me with the intention of adding a 3rd by Xmas? I am wanting a mixed reef.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XR15: Pros: You're going to be able to get evenly-spaced horizontal coverage. Cons: This requires six power bricks and outlets.

XR30: Pros: Only three lights and three outlets. Cons: Power bricks are larger, not quite the same horizontal spread, higher upfront cost as you'll need 3 lights to start.

Honestly, you're not going to be happy with the coverage of a pair of XR30s. You're going to find noticeable gaps/dark spots. I have a pair of XR30s on my 71" 750 XXL and if I were to remove the XR15 in the center my corals would start plotting to kill me.

Here's how the mixed XR30/XR15 lighting looks on my tank with the RMS mounts (standard 8" height above the water). Note that with the XR30 the RMS mounts do "sag" a bit more than the XR15 (probably 0.5").

radion-lighting.jpg

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XR15: Pros: You're going to be able to get evenly-spaced horizontal coverage. Cons: This requires six power bricks and outlets.

XR30: Pros: Only three lights and three outlets. Cons: Power bricks are larger, not quite the same horizontal spread, higher upfront cost as you'll need 3 lights to start.

Honestly, you're not going to be happy with the coverage of a pair of XR30s. You're going to find noticeable gaps/dark spots. I have a pair of XR30s on my 71" 750 XXL and if I were to remove the XR15 in the center my corals would start plotting to kill me.

Here's how the mixed XR30/XR15 lighting looks on my tank with the RMS mounts (standard 8" height above the water). Note that with the XR30 the RMS mounts do "sag" a bit more than the XR15 (probably 0.5").

radion-lighting.jpg
See.. in my opinion your 3 lights look spectacular. It's simple and needs less cord management. 4 xr15s on a hanging rail doesn't worry me aesthetically, its when things get to 6 that all the cords may drive me insane. Aesthetically XR30s win.

End of the day 6 xr15 are about the same cost as 3 xr30s. So if this was the goal then its a tough decision, but I'm leaning towards XR30s being equal. The BRStv investigates video is what is throwing me off. According to their findings, wouldn't 6 xr15s really be nearly equivalent to 4 xr30s? If that were the case, then xr15s just make far more sense.

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eusvolk93 I have 3 XR15 PRO on my 4’ tank. I run them pretty hard but achieve 275+ PAR pretty much wall to wall. For your tank, I would not have any problem with 5 XR15. You can probably hang them a little higher to get some additional blending. It will look good. PRO vs Blue, I cannot say

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See.. in my opinion your 3 lights look spectacular. It's simple and needs less cord management. 4 xr15s on a hanging rail doesn't worry me aesthetically, its when things get to 6 that all the cords may drive me insane. Aesthetically XR30s win.

End of the day 6 xr15 are about the same cost as 3 xr30s. So if this was the goal then its a tough decision, but I'm leaning towards XR30s being equal. The BRStv investigates video is what is throwing me off. According to their findings, wouldn't 6 xr15s really be nearly equivalent to 4 xr30s? If that were the case, then xr15s just make far more sense.
That's very kind of you! The difference between two XR15s and an XR30 is that the two LED banks are much closer together on the XR30 as opposed to the single XR15:

[(x)(x)] .... [(x)(x)] .... [(x)(x)]
[(x)] [(x)] [(x)] [(x)] [(x)] [(x)]

For all intents and purposes you're probably not going to be able to tell the difference between either setup - other than slight PAR variances between the LEDs.

@RGoltz brings up a good suggestion - you may be able to get away with 5x XR15s (but 4 definitely won't cut it). My personal preference would be the three XR30s, but I'm partial to the wider lights.

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very kind of you! The difference between two XR15s and an XR30 is that the two LED banks are much closer together on the XR30 as opposed to the single XR15:

For all intents and purposes you're probably not going to be able to tell the difference between either setup - other than slight PAR variances between the LEDs.

@RGoltz brings up a good suggestion - you may be able to get away with 5x XR15s (but 4 definitely won't cut it). My personal preference would be the three XR30s, but I'm partial to the wider lights.
@RGoltz was so kind to give me a tip about a pretty reputable site having them. They sell the xr15s for $479, but sell the xr30s for only $799.99! I think for this reason I'm going to go with 3 xr30s and possibly a 4th in the future.

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have any experience buying Quarantined Fish?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By the way, little off topic... but even with the 10% off flash sale, would you still take the reefer-s 1000 over the 3xl 900? How well do you sleep at night with your 750 xxl? lol

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, little off topic... but even with the 10% off flash sale, would you still take the reefer-s 1000 over the 3xl 900? How well do you sleep at night with your 750 xxl? lol
Blissfully. I have the v3 tank, sump and stand - and I believe all these features have been incorporated into the S-Series as well. But just a few quick highlights:

* The 750 XXL and up got thicker glass and corner support braces
* The 750 XXL and up stands feature that new aluminum brace
* The 750 XXL/900 3XL stands have a steel lip in the front supporting the tank (not sure about the S-850/1000).

The S-Series has the all aluminum stand and the Euro bracing around the edges (I've read it's nice but a PITA to clean, so take that with a grain of salt).

The 900 3XL, S-850 and S-1000 all have the new split sump.

I placed the order for my 750 XXL literally 2 weeks before the new S tanks were announced, and if I was redoing it today I'd get the S-850 instead (I don't think getting the larger S-1000 into my basement is a realistic prospect).

OP
OP
E

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blissfully. I have the v3 tank, sump and stand - and I believe all these features have been incorporated into the S-Series as well. But just a few quick highlights:

* The 750 XXL and up got thicker glass and corner support braces
* The 750 XXL and up stands feature that new aluminum brace
* The 750 XXL/900 3XL stands have a steel lip in the front supporting the tank (not sure about the S-850/1000).

The S-Series has the all aluminum stand and the Euro bracing around the edges (I've read it's nice but a PITA to clean, so take that with a grain of salt).

The 900 3XL, S-850 and S-1000 all have the new split sump.

I placed the order for my 750 XXL literally 2 weeks before the new S tanks were announced, and if I was redoing it today I'd get the S-850 instead (I don't think getting the larger S-1000 into my basement is a realistic prospect).
The updates with V3 and the 900 definitely made me feel better.

I am curious though, if size wasn't an issue for your basement, Why would you go with the S-1000 at $6600 with the current $1800 in savings with 900 being at $4850?

The volumes are much more similar than pricing. So the real question, is the extra cash for all aluminum and euro-bracing worth it due to the structural security even after the updates for you? As someone with the V3 I feel like you're my best bet here lol. There so much recent Red Sea hate going on right now I can't get a solid opinion.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back