Like green algae

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing noob here, Anyone know what this lime green stuff on my rocks is? Some sort of algae but what I’ve read could be precursor to coralline? Any input is appreciated

4F67E34C-AEE0-4B65-804A-5065181666F2.jpeg 1BEED232-06A8-47FD-A4B7-D4BB769545E0.jpeg AEC3BED6-208A-4DDC-AB25-D76219EBBE1A.jpeg EE7EE6E3-93A6-42EB-BC51-C34EC44188FB.png A56B1AF3-23A4-424A-ABF5-6ACD814CEE44.png

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had green coralline but the extent of the bloom tells me its not. Probably diatoms. Does it blow off or is it crusty or sticky? Pic is not clear enough to tell. One word of caution, do not drop nitrates that fast. I assume you did a large water change. Absolutely nothing wrong with 20 ppm nitrate. Looks like a new tank and you need to establish good algae and bacteria. Stripping your tank of nutrients, ie nitrate is a sure invitation to dinoflagelates, a guest you do not want at your party.

One word of advice and many may not agree but don't leave your mag float in the tank. It will pick up and even grow stuff that will scratch the glass. Take it out and clean it after use. Even if you only rinse and rub with your fingers to get the crusties off.

Love your aquascape! Best of luck!

OP
OP
nomad6

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, I already had the diatom stage, there’s green diatoms? Sorry I’m new to reefing

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct on both counts, yes it’s algae and yes it’s there before coralline algae…tho to says algae is a precursor to coralline algae is putting it very positively.

OP
OP
nomad6

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishful thinking
I have had green coralline but the extent of the bloom tells me its not. Probably diatoms. Does it blow off or is it crusty or sticky? Pic is not clear enough to tell. One word of caution, do not drop nitrates that fast. I assume you did a large water change. Absolutely nothing wrong with 20 ppm nitrate. Looks like a new tank and you need to establish good algae and bacteria. Stripping your tank of nutrients, ie nitrate is a sure invitation to dinoflagelates, a guest you do not want at your party.

One word of advice and many may not agree but don't leave your mag float in the tank. It will pick up and even grow stuff that will scratch the glass. Take it out and clean it after use. Even if you only rinse and rub with your fingers to get the crusties off.

You are correct on both counts, yes it’s algae and yes it’s there before coralline algae…tho to says algae is a precursor to coralline algae is putting it very positively.

OP
OP
nomad6

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea I’m chasing numbers I guess you could say I’m trying for a 10:1 nitrates to phosphates go from there. That was a large water change because I made the mistake of leaving the ato on… so I changed half the water to be sure you can definitely see the dip there. It’s fixed on the rock doesn’t blow off or scrape off. Clean up crew won’t touch it

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like green slime algae. Just one of the phases of a new tank. Your parameters look good. Get a diverse cleaner crew muching on the stuff. Your powerheads will turn coraline purple many months before your rocks do as your tank matures.

20220325_164400.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back