Limits on Multiple Pistol Shrimp Per Tank?

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a Randall's Pistol (AKA Candy cane Pistol) shrimp in my nano with a pair of Antenna Gobies. Currently I'm expanding that tank and was curious about adding another Randall's Pistol or two to the system. I know they are next to impossible to sex, but I was hoping that I may luck out and get two of the pistols to pair up and the third to just have his own den. As long as they have space to have their own 'digs' they shouldn't quarrel correct?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure...heres a bump for you.

Brofessor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had pistols for about 3 months now. Had a Caribbean for 2 then gave him to someone, and now I've had a Randall's for a month. I noticed that both of them tend to wander once the lights are off and dig different burrows. I could see that leading to territory disputes, but I could be wrong.

It'd be great to hear from someone who has tried, though.

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had pistols for about 3 months now. Had a Caribbean for 2 then gave him to someone, and now I've had a Randall's for a month. I noticed that both of them tend to wander once the lights are off and dig different burrows. I could see that leading to territory disputes, but I could be wrong.

It'd be great to hear from someone who has tried, though.

So you have 2 different species or 2 rabdali together?

LacViet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't have candy canes pistol but i have 2 (i think a pair) tiger pistol shrimps with a Yasha in Fuval Evo 13.4. Both shrimps share the same den together along with a Yasha. They make a network of tunnel in the whole tank. Before, when I only have one tiger pistol, she (i think) only dig around half of the tank. Once introduces the other tiger, within a few days, they are expanding their tunnel network to whole full tank.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome! I know the mated pairs can get a long and definitely want to add another. I am just worried what if the 2nd I add is the same sex? Than I will need to add a 3rd (no way I can get a candy cane shrimp out when it gets in my tank unless I tear apart everything.) And there is the possibility the 3rd could be the same sex...

The good thing is candy canes are significantly smaller than tigers. The current candy cane I got is like centimeters..

LacViet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure 100% on how to sex them yet but claw size might be the clue. I bought a tiger pistol shrimp with both claw are somewhat similar in size (see pics below), the right side is little bigger around 5 months or so ago. 3 months later, when lfs has about 10 ish of them arrival at the same time, I observed that given the same size, some has very big right claw (potential is a male) and some has smaller right claw (just a bit bigger than the left claw, hypothesis as female). Both left claw are about the same on all of them. So I choose the one with very big right claw (sorry, didn't take picture when I get him) and both of mine tiger pistol getting together instantly.
DACD38F3-0588-407F-93D2-5BF5128BDD6A.jpeg

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure 100% on how to sex them yet but claw size might be the clue. I bought a tiger pistol shrimp with both claw are somewhat similar in size (see pics below), the right side is little bigger around 5 months or so ago. 3 months later, when lfs has about 10 ish of them arrival at the same time, I observed that given the same size, some has very big right claw (potential is a male) and some has smaller right claw (just a bit bigger than the left claw, hypothesis as female). Both left claw are about the same on all of them. So I choose the one with very big right claw (sorry, didn't take picture when I get him) and both of mine tiger pistol getting together instantly.
DACD38F3-0588-407F-93D2-5BF5128BDD6A.jpeg
Probably better than nothing to attempt to sex pistol shrimps. However, shrimps will sometimes lose their pistol chelae and regrow it (which sill make it look smaller proportionally when it regrows). For most of the species in aquaria, the pistol chelae should be oversized compared to the other claw and the size difference between the sex are usually not too major - not even sure if theres literature stating which sex tends to larger either. Also, size tends to be an iffy way of sexing in general for wild caught specimen because of age differences.

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is from earlier this year but I'm interested in getting a second Randall's pistol shrimp as well so I thought I'd revive it and see if anyone else has experience with this. I actually have 2 Yellow Watchman Gobies that are still getting to know each other and one of them is paired with the pistol shrimp. I'm hoping the two YWG pair and share the shrimp and if not, I may add another shrimp for the other YWG if safe to do so. They're in a Fluval Flex 32.5 (long) with separate burrows, no real aggression, and curiosity for each other at the moment.

level13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 tg pistol shrimps in a 10g and all are doing well. There are tunnels all over the tank but it is nice to see them getting along when I can see them.
All 3 added at different times with the 3rd being quite small and no issues to date which was one week ago. I saw the 3rd small one pop up this morning thinking he was dead after not seeing after adding. The 3rd is easily identified being significantly smaller and no oversized claw just two small claws. The 1st two had been living together for 6 to 8 months now. I also researched with little concrete evidence of multiple shrimp compatibility issues on this and decided to try this out not sure how it would turn out. Each has different claw sizes so I know which is which. I have two gobies in the tank which is ywg and yasha goby both on different ends. I am happy how it turned out. Maybe I got lucky but all 3 are getting along and gobies being on their own areas are doing fine. IMG_8122.jpeg

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back