Local meetings

Rocky2234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please tell me if there are ever any meetings of reefers in the Birmingham, AL area?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge the closest clubs are Huntsville and Atlanta. Huntsville's discussion is mostly on here but Atlanta has their own board.

OP
OP
R

Rocky2234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge the closest clubs are Huntsville and Atlanta. Huntsville's discussion is mostly on here but Atlanta has their own board.
Thanks for your reply. Birmingham has a club also, but I do not think they physically meet from time to time.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link? This is the first I've heard of it.

nemo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d Like to get something started in bham. Me and tuffy we’re discussing the idea a little while ago. I’m currently out of state until December though.

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be up for it too. What do they do at the meetings? I'd be willing to try to coordinate something, but I don't know what is usually discussed or seen any other agendas. What would everyone like to meet and talk about, let's throw it out there!!!

OP
OP
R

Rocky2234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great - seeing though Gordon offered to coordinate why don't you Gordon give us some of your contact details.

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I can't do the 28th. How about the following Saturday August 4th.
what I would like to know is what we want to accomplish? If just meet and chat about our tanks, that's good. I was hoping we could also plan a future meeting that would be able to accomplish more from a local group. some thoughts that come to mind include:
  • creating some kind of frag/fish trade network amongst attendees. maybe sell to those that don't have trades.
  • possibly go to someone's house that is setting up and help - voluntary - so you could learn more about how things are setup and help make recommendations or give ideas etc.
  • identify new trends/tools in the industry, maybe some of us are using them and share experiences.
  • have someone talk about importance of water chemistry, dosing, and other ways to control parameters. Maybe invite a local shop guy for that one....
  • reach out to other contacts and create a listing of personal dealers, not just stores, that sell stuff locally. I know of a couple that have been mentioned in some threads.
  • I'll personally reach out to Reef2Reef groups and see what they do during local meetings - ie Huntsville, charlotte, Los angeles and others. They might have some great ideas that may involve local shops/vendors/manufacturers that might have some budget for giveaways to get more attendance....
I'm not meaning to make this really formal we can keep it very simple but it would be great to get some education in there as well and maybe do a bigger meet once a quarter. I'm rambling, but this is what I do for a living - project stuff.

thoughts????

OP
OP
R

Rocky2234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what I would like to know is what we want to accomplish? If just meet and chat about our tanks, that's good. I was hoping we could also plan a future meeting that would be able to accomplish more from a local group. some thoughts that come to mind include:
  • creating some kind of frag/fish trade network amongst attendees. maybe sell to those that don't have trades.
  • possibly go to someone's house that is setting up and help - voluntary - so you could learn more about how things are setup and help make recommendations or give ideas etc.
  • identify new trends/tools in the industry, maybe some of us are using them and share experiences.
  • have someone talk about importance of water chemistry, dosing, and other ways to control parameters. Maybe invite a local shop guy for that one....
  • reach out to other contacts and create a listing of personal dealers, not just stores, that sell stuff locally. I know of a couple that have been mentioned in some threads.
  • I'll personally reach out to Reef2Reef groups and see what they do during local meetings - ie Huntsville, charlotte, Los angeles and others. They might have some great ideas that may involve local shops/vendors/manufacturers that might have some budget for giveaways to get more attendance....
I'm not meaning to make this really formal we can keep it very simple but it would be great to get some education in there as well and maybe do a bigger meet once a quarter. I'm rambling, but this is what I do for a living - project stuff.

thoughts????
Gordon, I think those are excellent suggestions. Can you meet with me and Tuffy this Saturday the 21st, if so pm me and I'll give you the details.

nemo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thoughts????

Good points!

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing some follow-up research after our meeting, I looked around at clubs in cities with metro areas similar in size to Birmingham:
I'll update the rest later, need to run some errands.

OP
OP
R

Rocky2234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing some follow-up research after our meeting, I looked around at clubs in cities with metro areas similar in size to Birmingham:
I'll update the rest later, need to run some errands.
Thanks for the update.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back