Longnose hawkfish - What’s your experience

parclife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got myself a Longnose Hawkfish yesterday, read mixed reviews on them though one thing is true they look amazing. So are they as bad as some of the press they get? What’s your experience with them, any issues with shrimps and what do you feed them? P.s any pics of them in your tank are welcome

BEC5F0AF-BCCC-498C-87B8-A40D8499C780.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the time I had mine it was a model citizen. The long mouth makes them more suited for eating small inverts in crevices. They may be able to catch shrimps much smaller than them, as well as hermits, but it’s pretty rare for them to go after something large.
70929761-C8D6-44D3-8DDF-24675E4E1D8A.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must admit I didn’t sleep much last night thinking he would eat my cleaner or peppermint shrimp…. Touch wood all is calm currently.
Often those species will be avoided unless extremely small (<1”).

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and until recently has been great.

A week or two ago I noticed my flasher wrasse hiding a lot and when it was feeding time would act like there was aggression. He'd zip out to grab food and dart right back to his hole. I then noticed my longnose would b-line straight for the wrasse whenever he came out of hiding. No matter where he was in the tank he would charge after him with a vengeance.

I had mostly made up my mind to take out the longnose and return him to the LFS but by the time I got to it it was too late. Sadly, I found my flasher dead. They have both been in the tank for several months and had zero issues. I chalk it up to maturity or the longnose just deciding he didn't wan that tank mate. He (currently, fingers crossed) doesn't bother my two clowns at all.

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and I should also add that he loves perching wherever he wants....even if it means causing damage to my leptoseris because he always perches in the same orientation. Luckily, the lepto is still growing just fine and zero issues except the few points where the fish sits.

FishRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had two lost the first to a jump. Went through a gap about the size of a quarter when the person feeding the tank left the feeding gap open. He was a model citizen ate everything from frozen to flakes. Only shrimp aggression I saw from him was the first day I added him he made one swipe at a cleaner shrimp the same size as him. Got a new one about a week ago. So far no aggression or feeding issues with him either he is the smallest long nose I’ve seen though about 1.5 inches. They’re definitely fish that like to people watch.

old_lady_4am

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to return mine a few days after bringing him home because he kept attacking my file and clown fish every time they swam by peacefully and then I mysteriously lost half a shrimp. My tank is a 75 galllon, which I think was too small for him. He looked big in it compared to everybody else.

PS - my son said, well his name is hawk fish what did you expect, hawks are predators, lol.

Last edited:

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn’t bother any fish or coral but I have mysteriously lost 2 cleaner and 1 fire shrimp

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a pair for nearly a year now. The female is great and never bothers anything. Male can be a ******* and likes to pick on my Bangaii Cardinal but not relentlessly.
I tried to add a small Mystety Wrasse recently and he was not having it, would have killed him had I not taken him out ( The Mystery Wrass that is)

he doesn’t bother Shrimp and even is cleaned by my Fire Shrimp all the time…..I also have a Cleaner he never bothers. Both were in there before him though.
DFB0620D-82D4-4F12-BA6A-E072EA5B42A7.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any personal experience with them?
I have had personal experience with several species. I worked in an LFS a while ago and we had a nice sized community display with a couple in (I believe 3 different hawks were in that tank). I also had experience with hawks that were outside the community tank (Among other finicky and RSWC fish), many of them avoided larger shrimp and actually very rarely did any of them touch Blood or Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. They did tend to go for smaller, decorative shrimp such as the Scissor Tail Shrimp.

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on my second long nose hawkfish and I've never had any issue with aggression with them. I would never have even thought that they were known for it. My first one I lost because I stated before he was a jumper. I learned the need to have a cover on my tank early on. Both of the fish have been model citizens for me.
I guess I should point out that I haven't had any cleaner shrimp for a while but when I did I never saw them get harassed. I try to avoid crabs and shrimp because they usually steal food from coral. Although I still love emerald crabs.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had any problems with my longnose but my Falco is an absolute terror and I'd move him if I could catch him. I've always heard that longnose are the most peaceful of the hawks but hawks are capable of being pretty awful.
Saying that I've never seen either one going after any of my shrimp. Its the gobies that my Falco goes after.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biologically a long thin jaw usually denotes a creature that hunts fast and small prey which is probably why the longnose is the least likely to kill larger shrimp like cleaners but that's just theorizing.

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dude is GREAT one of my favourites. His favourite perch spot is right by where the cleaner shrimp hangs out and no problems between them.
Only annoying this is that he perches all over my Zoas.

MySonWantedAHamster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely one of our favorite fish. We've had him for about 4 months now and has never bothered the skunk cleaner, peppermint shrimp, or anything that I've witnessed. Likes to eat (more like inhales) LRS and frozen mysis. As far as jumping - I use to leave the tank unattended with the cover off for short periods of time while doing water changes, etc.. until he jumped behind the tank while I walked away for a couple minutes. He was on the floor a good 5 minutes before I realized what that strange flapping noise was. Thought he was a goner for sure as I tossed him back in and sunk straight to the bottom of the tank (luckily he's fine). I'd like to think he learned his lesson, but I know I put that cover on anytime I walk away even for a minute. Enjoy your new Longnose Hawkfish!

20220516_150135650_iOS.jpg

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love Longnose Hawkfish. I have had two different ones… the first guy was a model citizen and soooo friendly. My current one is also very friendly, curious and literally eats from my hand. I’m not blaming anyone but when I added him to his tank, there were 7 peppermint shrimp and now there are none. He’s still cute though, so it’s okay. He just won’t be getting any more shrimp snacks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back