Looking at getting a butterfly for my reef

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at a butterfly, but I'm pretty nervous about it since I have a mixed reef with a little of everything. If it eats zoas I'm not really worried since I don't care for those corals but do have some. I do have some acros which I like but I'm more of a fan of lps corals any way. I was looking at the blue cheek butterfly, but am looking at something that gets a little smaller like the tinkeri butterfly but not 400 dollars unless if there is a great chance it will survive. I'm not a fan of the copperband butterfly or the long nose forcep butterfly. Also, one that has greater odds of being reef safe. I have a 70 gallon with just a Christmas wrasse, tribal blenny, hi fin goby, and ocellaris clown fish in there right now. Tank has been up for a year now.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be hard pressed to find one that fits your criteria. Tinkeri, mitratus, and burgessi would work but are pricey. Perhaps the Atlantic longnose rather than forcipeger.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be hard pressed to find one that fits your criteria. Tinkeri, mitratus, and burgessi would work but are pricey. Perhaps the Atlantic longnose rather than forcipeger.

Yeah those were the ones I was looking at. Right. Ow I'm thinking the burgessi just because of price and I like them. Though liveaquaria says that they may eat anemones is this true?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah those were the ones I was looking at. Right. Ow I'm thinking the burgessi just because of price and I like them. Though liveaquaria says that they may eat anemones is this true?
It's a possibility, but not likely.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I'm trying to do some research on how reef safe they are and how hardy they are. Do you know about any of these? I've read they are very reef safe and haven't read once where it caused destruction so far with the few forums I've read, but don't see much on how hardy they are.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay good to know. Do you know what type of corals are some of their favorite to pick at if they do pick? I've read that it's mostly acans. Like I have a big plate corals and elegance coral that are my prized pieces I just want to know if they would be safe?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay good to know. Do you know what type of corals are some of their favorite to pick at if they do pick? I've read that it's mostly acans. Like I have a big plate corals and elegance coral that are my prized pieces I just want to know if they would be safe?
Acans and scolys are most at risk. I don't have any experience with them and Fungiids.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that works for me then. I can have acans or Scolys because of my blenny he has a taste for them

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heniochus diphreutus(schooling bannerfish) are planktivores and LA said reef compatible, but not so for heniochus acuminatus, also a bannerfish and they do look alike

I have two diphreutus and they eat from the water column, vry easy to feed, but i dont hve corals

I used to have an acuminatus, also eat frm the water column but also like to peck at liverock ( this behavior may suggest not vry reef safe)

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a thought as well, but I was leaning more towards the burgessi and declivis. More towards the declivis I can get one for 200 at my lfs which from what I see is a good buy

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They about as reef safe as you can get for a butterfly.

They are moderately hardy. Neither bulletpriof nor frail.

Do you know anything about the Marshall Islands Hybrid Roaps Butterfly? Seem really cool and am looking at them and from what live aquaria is saying, they are easy to keep, but I don't know if they are as reef safe as the declivis.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know anything about the Marshall Islands Hybrid Roaps Butterfly? Seem really cool and am looking at them and from what live aquaria is saying, they are easy to keep, but I don't know if they are as reef safe as the declivis.
It will be comparable in care and reef-safeness.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the declivis butterfly in and acclimating it. Looks very healthy just stressed for right now with me messing with the bag and all that. I have it floating for 15 min and then I'm going to do a shot glass full of my tank water into its water about 5 times every 5 minutes. Going to feed the other fish to help reduce any possible aggression which there should be none.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If so, be sure to put some Prime in the water. I have had Great luck with the Yellow Pyramids for being reef safe. I have also had a few Copper Bands that if you can get one that eats well and is healthy, they can do well. mine decimated Aptasia before he learned to eat frozen.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't do a long acclimation I was going to do the acclimation guide that live aquaria advises, but I did the 15 minute float and then I did a few shot glasses of my water into its bag. Waited 5 minutes and then plopped him in the tank using a net. He's a little skiddish and hiding right now. Everyone else is still sleeping sort of. My lights turn on at 4 so he has plenty of time to relax and get adjusted before the tank wakes up.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back