Looking for Advice

sam00skelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,
Looking to pick your brains if you don't mind.
I went into my LFS on Wednesday and picked up a flame hawkfish (which the guy recommended after I told him who the hawkfish would be sharing the tank with (2 clowns, 2 bangais, a chromis, a firefish, a yellow watchman and various inverts).
Well since Wednesday the yellow watchman and firefish have hardly left the confines of their rock. Any time I've seen either the hawkfish chases them down until they go back into the rock (I've been directionally feeding into the rocks holes to ensure they get food).
Yesterday and this morning I noticed the Watchman struggling in the water and his fins seem torn up. I've watched the hawkfish go for him a couple of times and I genuinely have no idea what to do. I don't have a second tank in order to separate them. I'm really disappointed with my LFS for recommending this fish after specifically asking them to recommend something peaceful.
Would you guys have any idea what I could do?
Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

OP
OP
S

sam00skelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catch him and ask for a store credit. Specially after you followed their direction
Thanks aior0s! I rang them and they're happy to take him back. They were very apologetic in fairness to them! He did say that when adding fish there can be a bit of a rumble between everyone to establish hierarchy, so he did say to give it a day or two to see if everything settles. Fingers crossed!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawkfish aren’t usually too aggressive but individual fish have individual personalities.

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks aior0s! I rang them and they're happy to take him back. They were very apologetic in fairness to them! He did say that when adding fish there can be a bit of a rumble between everyone to establish hierarchy, so he did say to give it a day or two to see if everything settles. Fingers crossed!

He is somewhat right. But you would need acclimation box for that. So it will work both ways. Either the new fish can't attack the current fishes or the old fishes(territorial) won't attack the new one.

Just a side note, clown fishes can be aggressive/territorial.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question would be what size tank do you have?
A larger flame hawk in a smaller tank could stir up trouble.
They are very cool fish, I am sorry it didn't work out, but glad the LFS will take him back.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are more annoying than aggressive and be it known, you can never have shrimp in the tank with them as they’ll eat them like candy

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sam00skelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very cool fish, I am sorry it didn't work out, but glad the LFS will take him back.
It's a 130L (35G) he's about 2inches big.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This has been my experience also. Glad your LFS is working with you. At least he shouldn't be too hard to catch in a 35 gal.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My pair of hawks love a good cleaning from the skunks, but they probably would love to eat a small peppermint.
My flame upon introduction as I totally forgot ate my 2 oversized coral banded shrimp, my 3 year skunk cleaner and my fire and large harlequin shrimp within 48 hours !!!
He’s lucky he’s darn pretty or would have been evicted to Lake Michigan

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sam00skelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, just a wee update. I'm going to return him to the LFS tomorrow. He's continued his bullying streak all day, even had some guests comment on the "mean" fish! Anyways, is there any fish you guys would recommend? Thanks

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stock/wish list are almost the same as yours.
I would suggest:
Royal Gramma
Flasher or Fairy Wrasse

I currently have 2 clowns, 1 bicolor blenny, yellow watchman is coming tuesday

OP
OP
S

sam00skelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stock/wish list are almost the same as yours.
I would suggest:
Royal Gramma
Flasher or Fairy Wrasse

I currently have 2 clowns, 1 bicolor blenny, yellow watchman is coming tuesday
Be careful with the blenny and Watchman! I'm convinced the watchman was the demise of my bicolour blenny (who was my favourite).
Yea I've always like the royal Gramma!

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the blenny and Watchman! I'm convinced the watchman was the demise of my bicolour blenny (who was my favourite).
Yea I've always like the royal Gramma!

My blenny looks to be always on the rocks. And I would think the goby would be on the sands, right?

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a small 29gal tank: one midas blenny, 1 yellow clown goby, 1 firefish, 1 6 line wrasse (you might consider this fish)...they are very cool and not aggressive. They have a great personality. I found in my larger 120 gal reef tank that the royal gramma could be aggressive. I tried one in my small tank and had to return him. He and my black ice clown decided they didn't like each other. Everyone else gets along well.

OP
OP
S

sam00skelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blenny looks to be always on the rocks. And I would think the goby would be on the sands, right?
That's what I thought too, the Goby initially built a cave in the back of my tank, but then he took a liking to the same hole in the rock my blenny liked. Similar situation to the bullying I've asked about here but I noticed way too late and lost the blenny.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back