Looking for affordable lights

Will Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am just now getting back into the hobby after being out for several years. I have a 42 gallon Oceanic Hex I just recently inherited and I am wanting to grow a little bit of everything. Definitely wanting some zoas, palys, and mushrooms/ricordea on the bottom, some LPS and SPS (SPS can be on top if needed). I am trying to be as cost effective as possible without skimping too much on the necessities (lights/filtration). The sand bed for the tank will be around 18-20" in depth. I would love to get a Kessil a160we or a360we, but they may be just *slightly* out of my price range right this moment, at least new with gooseneck/controller. Thanks in advance for any help!

P.s. I've already checked craigslist... and there is a single Kessil a160we there, but the guy is not messaging me back. Any alternatives are greatly appreciated.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is the tank?
What’s your magic $$ number ?

THe black boxes are the no frills go to.65-99 ramping and timers at 150-250. SBreeflight is the upgrade for the B.B. IMO with the warranty.

I do have a couple of kessil koolaide friends who may have seen some 360s for sale too.
@crabs_mcjones and Freddie @GoVols

I think reefqueen had a SB ramping (like mine) for a decent price in the sales section.

OP
OP
Will Perry

Will Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is the tank?

THe black boxes are the no frills go to.65-99 ramping and timers at 150-250. SBreeflight is the upgrade for the B.B. IMO with the warranty.

I do have a couple of kessil koolaide friends who may have seen some 360s for sale too.

I think reefqueen had a SB ramping (like mine) for a decent price in the sales section.
Okay... so what is "ramping?" And my magic number is 150-200 maxish. I would not mind finding a used Kessil, as stated. There is one on craigslist for $225 local with gooseneck and controller... I talked the guy down to $200 and then he stopped messaging me after we "sealed the deal." Very strange, really.

The sand bed will be about 19-20" down. Also, I don't mind buying cheap light timers. :D Just trying to do this cheaply. I remember when you were not getting away with LED under like 300-400 and that was DIY. SOOO glad that there are now super affordable options around. :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am just now getting back into the hobby after being out for several years. I have a 42 gallon Oceanic Hex I just recently inherited and I am wanting to grow a little bit of everything. Definitely wanting some zoas, palys, and mushrooms/ricordea on the bottom, some LPS and SPS (SPS can be on top if needed). I am trying to be as cost effective as possible without skimping too much on the necessities (lights/filtration). The sand bed for the tank will be around 18-20" in depth. I would love to get a Kessil a160we or a360we, but they may be just *slightly* out of my price range right this moment, at least new with gooseneck/controller. Thanks in advance for any help!

P.s. I've already checked craigslist... and there is a single Kessil a160we there, but the guy is not messaging me back. Any alternatives are greatly appreciated.

How deep is the tank?

I haven't seen any kessils pop up on the for sale forum lately. But I'll agree with @saltyfilmfolks the SB lights are a great priced light that will grow anything you put under it. Otherwise brand new kessils are on sale right now for $349 on bulk reef supply. Im a little bias in my opinion but nothing beats a good kessil :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Will Perry

Will Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen any kessils pop up on the for sale forum lately. But I'll agree with @saltyfilmfolks the SB lights are a great priced light that will grow anything you put under it. Otherwise brand new kessils are on sale right now for $349 on bulk reef supply. Im a little bias in my opinion but nothing beats a good kessil :)
Honestly, I am in agreement with you about the Kessils. There is just something about the beautiful shimmer that they produce. Of course, I feel that this light is just a temporary cheap starter... I may buy this SB and then upgrade to a Kessil sometime later (maybe a year from now, at most). After this, I can use the the SB to setup a frag or quarantine tank. :)

So the link I provided should work to grow anything in this tank?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I am in agreement with you about the Kessils. There is just something about the beautiful shimmer that they produce. Of course, I feel that this light is just a temporary cheap starter... I may buy this SB and then upgrade to a Kessil sometime later (maybe a year from now, at most). After this, I can use the the SB to setup a frag or quarantine tank. :)

Yes sir, it'll grow anything you put under it. @saltyfilmfolks has had great success with these lights

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The timer basically will turn the lights on and off for you. Whereas the basic needs to be manually adjusted and manually turned on and off.
So, what make the timer so special??

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe
C0E21199-58AF-4C5B-91B3-701810653F2A.jpeg

It’s actuall really too much power for the tank. Thank goodness for the dimmer.

The basic SB is like 130 I belive.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is the tank?

The used Kessil's that I've seen are just priced too high and are selling without the Spectra controllers.

(lol)
Kessil making a lot on money for the Kessil shimmer :)

I've noticed one thing since Kessil added the Kessil logic. Yes, It keeps your corals healthy, but with the limited color spectrum that comes with the Kessil logic. I can no longer hold some of the LPS colors like I used too.
Does that :rolleyes: make since?

Freddie

OP
OP
Will Perry

Will Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The used Kessil's that I've seen are just priced too high and are selling without the Spectra controllers.

(lol)
Kessil making a lot on money for the Kessil shimmer :)

I've noticed one thing since Kessil added the Kessil logic. Yes, It keeps your corals healthy, but with the limited color spectrum that comes with the Kessil logic. I can no longer hold some of the LPS colors like I used too.
Does that :rolleyes: make since?

Freddie
Absolutely. So, are the Kessils just Blue and White LED, then? So much better to have full sprectrum. That shimmer, though!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. So, are the Kessils just Blue and White LED, then? So much better to have full sprectrum. That shimmer, though!
Yeah,
The shimmer is great.

But, I can't get the wide color spectrum that I used to with the ole a350w. The 360's replaced the 350's and that's when the Kessil logic was added.

Either way I'm happy. Running an a80/t5 Hybird and my light hunting days along gone :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back