Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the SB reef lights, my son picked up the 16" standard and likes it. I just picked up two Chinese black boxes off ebay $215.00 for both. 16" x 8" 165 watt each. They are wifi and can be set for sunrise sunset. I haven't used them yet but have been using a cheaper Chinese bb and having good results. I'll be putting the new ones to use in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll be upgrading to SB lights next year.
20180301_210128.png

OP
OP
Will Perry

Will Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Will Perry

Will Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the SB reef lights, my son picked up the 16" standard and likes it. I just picked up two Chinese black boxes off ebay $215.00 for both. 16" x 8" 165 watt each. They are wifi and can be set for sunrise sunset. I haven't used them yet but have been using a cheaper Chinese bb and having good results. I'll be putting the new ones to use in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll be upgrading to SB lights next year.
20180301_210128.png
Do you have links for these BB wifi sunrise/sunset units? I'd love to check them out so I know I have looked at all my options.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have links for these BB wifi sunrise/sunset units? I'd love to check them out so I know I have looked at all my options.
Sorry, bought them over a month ago and didn't save the link. Being on a tight budget myself I just searched ebay for a few different days. Just search for 165 watt wifi reef lights on ebay and filter it to buy it now, free shipping, and U.S. only so you don't have to wait for ever for shipping. I see some others, not the same name on them, but probably the same thing anyway. $198.00 I'll try to post the link.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of leaning LED for the power costs. :) Also, I don't enjoy replacing my bulbs year after year. Call me new fashioned. :p

Fair enough. If you like them you like them. That’s reason enough I suppose. But most people are simply saying they hate bulb changes, only to turn around and replace their entire led panels every year or two for the newest model or Incremental upgrades. If you’re not keeping these LEDs for the possible 4-5 year life span then the bulb change argument kind of doesn’t hold much ground.

But like I said. If you simply like the LEDs themselves more and the tech interests you, no further argument needed. We like what we like.

OP
OP
Will Perry

Will Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. If you like them you like them. That’s reason enough I suppose. But most people are simply saying they hate bulb changes, only to turn around and replace their entire led panels every year or two for the newest model or Incremental upgrades. If you’re not keeping these LEDs for the possible 4-5 year life span then the bulb change argument kind of doesn’t hold much ground.

But like I said. If you simply like the LEDs themselves more and the tech interests you, no further argument needed. We like what we like.
I'll use them for 4-5 years, myself. Or, I will buy a Kessil at some point and use the SB panel for a frag tank. I reef on a budget, so I use what I can for as long as I can. :)

OP
OP
Will Perry

Will Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimmable-1...663413&hash=item419fdcb738:g:xcAAAOSwke9Z8qVK

I love the crappy picture they use to sell these things. You can tell that none of the tanks are using those lights. :D
Lol...that's true. I have seen some great looking tanks with the bb though. Followed a guys tank progress on YouTube, he used all low cost Chinese equipment, including the bb lights for three years. He had a really nice looking reef. That being said, I have also seen videos of people that didn't have as good luck with them. The cheap 165 watt I'm using on my 7.5 gal. nano is doing ok but my tanks only been running about four months. I have it dialed way back. 50% blue 25% white. My Duncan has gone from two heads to thirteen, my hammer has split twice. I have one small montipora in the center and favia in the back that are making a come back after being rescued from Petco. The wifi bbs I bought last month are going on a 40 gallon.

Screenshot_20180301-223342.png

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you go with cbbs read the description really good. Some don't do the sunrise sunset and they come with a 90° or 120° angle lense.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am just now getting back into the hobby after being out for several years. I have a 42 gallon Oceanic Hex I just recently inherited and I am wanting to grow a little bit of everything. Definitely wanting some zoas, palys, and mushrooms/ricordea on the bottom, some LPS and SPS (SPS can be on top if needed). I am trying to be as cost effective as possible without skimping too much on the necessities (lights/filtration). The sand bed for the tank will be around 18-20" in depth. I would love to get a Kessil a160we or a360we, but they may be just *slightly* out of my price range right this moment, at least new with gooseneck/controller. Thanks in advance for any help!

P.s. I've already checked craigslist... and there is a single Kessil a160we there, but the guy is not messaging me back. Any alternatives are greatly appreciated.

ATI 6 bulb fixture (wattage/length depending on tank size). Most cost effective way to certain success [emoji4].

Do not get hung over bulb replacement costs. Compared to everything else in the hobby 10$ a month is not really relevant.

Get the dimmable one if you want sunsets and sunrises.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe most people here.. but doubt if that holds in the real world.. ;)

There are definitely people who run their fixtures into the ground and even replace components as they die. I know people still running AI sol blues with some of the better tanks I’ve seen. You may be one of those people. But you’re right. Most people on here fall into the other category. And people I know in person from local reef clubs are habitual led upgrade/lateral movers. At a rough estimated ratio of 2:1. Not all. But lots.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back