Looking for affordable lights

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am just now getting back into the hobby after being out for several years. I have a 42 gallon Oceanic Hex I just recently inherited and I am wanting to grow a little bit of everything. Definitely wanting some zoas, palys, and mushrooms/ricordea on the bottom, some LPS and SPS (SPS can be on top if needed). I am trying to be as cost effective as possible without skimping too much on the necessities (lights/filtration). The sand bed for the tank will be around 18-20" in depth. I would love to get a Kessil a160we or a360we, but they may be just *slightly* out of my price range right this moment, at least new with gooseneck/controller. Thanks in advance for any help!

P.s. I've already checked craigslist... and there is a single Kessil a160we there, but the guy is not messaging me back. Any alternatives are greatly appreciated.
I purchased a kelo ao100. Excellent light and unlike kessil full spectrum.

Worth a look. Oh you get a gooseneck included as well.

OP
OP
Will Perry

Will Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I think I am going to buy an SB Reef Light from a fellow r2r user. It's the 16" ramping version and I think it will be perfect for my setup. Thanks to @Salty for pointing me in the right direction.

And thanks to everyone else for the solid advice! Seriously, it's really appreciated!

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I think I am going to buy an SB Reef Light from a fellow r2r user. It's the 16" ramping version and I think it will be perfect for my setup. Thanks to @Salty for pointing me in the right direction.

And thanks to everyone else for the solid advice! Seriously, it's really appreciated!
Before you do, check this review out.

I can only second it and so far my
favourite led by a country mile.
Oh and so we are clear i do they do budget lights normally.

I've gone from 2 x TMC AQUARAY 1000HD + 2x TMC AQUARAY Aquabeams

To

Maxspext razor

To

Kessil AP700

To

Ecotech radion gen 4

To

Kelo ao100

Mental? Maybe.
Happy? danged right.

Honestly I cannot say enough for the light.

Whilst I will no doubt be slapped for buying a kessil clone. Its no more of a clone of any other LED. Which incidentally are ALL way overpriced.

Anyway its an insanely good light and a very good price on AliExpress.

Like me, you take plunge with lights then looking to change 12months later as doesn't meet expectations.

Kelo has for me.

OP
OP
Will Perry

Will Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you do, check this review out.

I can only second it and so far my
favourite led by a country mile.
Oh and so we are clear i do they do budget lights normally.

I've gone from 2 x TMC AQUARAY 1000HD + 2x TMC AQUARAY Aquabeams

To

Maxspext razor

To

Kessil AP700

To

Ecotech radion gen 4

To

Kelo ao100

Mental? Maybe.
Happy? danged right.

Honestly I cannot say enough for the light.

Whilst I will no doubt be slapped for buying a kessil clone. Its no more of a clone of any other LED. Which incidentally are ALL way overpriced.

Anyway its an insanely good light and a very good price on AliExpress.

Like me, you take plunge with lights then looking to change 12months later as doesn't meet expectations.

Kelo has for me.

I appreciate this, but they are a little outside of my current budget. I am going to get an SBox Reef Light second-hand from a fellow reef member then buy something like this later. Thanks very much for the info, though! I will look into them in the future. :)

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this is quite valid, I am looking for LED as they are cheaper over time.

I once thought like that... and spent a ton of money in LEDs: Giesemann Teszla, Kessil a360, Radion G3, etc... tank had hotspots, was not evenly lit and corals (especially SPS) were never happy.

Thank, after five years of upgrading and looking almost by chance I threw some T5 in my tank and finally I saw the light. (Pun intended [emoji4]).

Problem with LEDs is to get the kind of blanket coverage (spread and even) you get with T5s you usually need double the number of fixtures the manufacturer recommends which brings upfront costs way higher.

I like LEDs, but the upfront cost is too much compared to T5. In my case a LED solution for my tank would require some 4-5y to make it cost effective vs T5 (bulb changes and electricity costs).
Obviously this depends on the type of fixtures you are comparing so do the math. If you find you only recover your investment after
3 or more years go with T5. You will likely be upgrading your LEDs in that timeframe anyway.

OP
OP
Will Perry

Will Perry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once thought like that... and spent a ton of money in LEDs: Giesemann Teszla, Kessil a360, Radion G3, etc... tank had hotspots, was not evenly lit and corals (especially SPS) were never happy.

Thank, after five years of upgrading and looking almost by chance I threw some T5 in my tank and finally I saw the light. (Pun intended [emoji4]).

Problem with LEDs is to get the kind of blanket coverage (spread and even) you get with T5s you usually need double the number of fixtures the manufacturer recommends which brings upfront costs way higher.

I like LEDs, but the upfront cost is too much compared to T5. In my case a LED solution for my tank would require some 4-5y to make it cost effective vs T5 (bulb changes and electricity costs).
Obviously this depends on the type of fixtures you are comparing so do the math. If you find you only recover your investment after
3 or more years go with T5. You will likely be upgrading your LEDs in that timeframe anyway.
Buying an SB Reef Light fixture for less than $200 with ramping. It's for a 42 gallon Hexagon by Oceanic. By the math I have already done, LED should give great coverage in this tank. Since it's a box and not a kessil, there should not be that much of a hot spot. Also, this thing is going to pay for itself within a year with how much I will save on power and bulb replacement.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying an SB Reef Light fixture for less than $200 with ramping. It's for a 42 gallon Hexagon by Oceanic. By the math I have already done, LED should give great coverage in this tank. Since it's a box and not a kessil, there should not be that much of a hot spot. Also, this thing is going to pay for itself within a year with how much I will save on power and bulb replacement.

Go for it [emoji106]

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love my SB. You will not be disappointed at all. Great coverage, color, and growth. Only thing I would maybe consider is replacing a few of the white chips with blue ones because I am a fan of pretty blue lighting and would like it to be a little less white than it is, but I don’t mind much and the more natural look has started to grow on me a bit.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back