Hopefully more people will be inspired to follow your methods. Julian Sprung was a well-intentioned but relatively inexperienced kid when he began to preach tedious methods in the 80s. I was amused when he spoke at our meetings.
Older Man, If you are older than me, you must really be a Geezer. :eek:
But I know I am. I am not sure where those years went but I am not a young stud any more, I just look like one. :cool: And most of me works fine.
I remember when Julian Sprung got into the game. I never personally met him but he seems to be very good at this and I can't say anything about him except I have read some of his theories.
I think Moe, Delbeek and Schmeck all got into the hobby when I did, at the beginning. My friend (who we just lost ) Albert Thiel got in just a couple of years later but he was a really smart guy.
Bob Goemns, another friend who has been here at my home got in before me. But he lives in Arizona so I can't walk there from here.
We all have our thing which we invented/discovered or came upon in a drunken stupor many years ago and what ever we do, it works for us.
Many people over the years have used my system. (my system is actually the fishes system which they taught me) A lot a lot of people still have problems. A lot of people have problems taking the tin foil off a new stick of butter.
My system, like quarantining or offering up tea leaves to the moon needs to be followed exactly or it won't work.
(I used to date a Greek girl and her Mother actually used to offer up tea leaves to the moon. I never understood why the moon needed tea but it may have worked because her Daughter was a gorgeous Greek Supermodel. :oops: I am not sure why she went out with me, but I didn't always look like this. I was a cross between Mat Damon, Tom Selic and Tim Conway. With the emphasis on Tim Conway. )
But I digress. My system isn't to just throw any ich/velvet/plague infested fish into your tank. That may not work unless you have a Mother that has some very strong tea leaves.
You need to have a healthy tank and not something you started last Tuesday, then cycled it with some cat food and tested it with your uncles meat thermometer.
Immune, healthy fish are fish that never heard of dry food, quarantine or medication, not even Alka Seltzer.
Medications, no matter what they are will disrupt a fishes (or our) digestive system and it may take months to recover.
Thats why people see a spot then create a huge tsunami to catch that fish while in the process of getting a divorce. Then freshwater dip the poor creature before soaking it in tree stump remover, Prizapro, Chloriquine and Creme De Mint then wonder why they spend all their quality time on the disease forum.
Leave the fish alone. It may die, it may not, but medicating it with anything that will kill it's stomach flora almost certainly will kill it. Fish Hate that.
It's the gut bacteria, which the fish took months or years to cultivate in the sea that controls the fishes health, not Facebook or Twitter. Antibiotics short circuit that so that the fish now has to rely completely on drugs for it's future health. Sort of like Ozzie Osborn and no one wants to look like that. ;Drool
If you want to quarantine, thats fine, but you have to commit to keep that fish in a sterile environment forever.
My wife got me this new computer for my Birthday and the keyboard is flat and I am not used to it so almost every letter I type I have to go back and correct which is why I started typing this post around Thanksgiving. ;Bucktooth;Meh