Looking for Paul B’s book

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Katrina, thank you and I hope you enjoyed my book. I may write a sequel but I am looking for a plot.
I was friends with a cover illustrator who used to paint for those romance novels with the beautiful girl sitting on a rock collecting amphipods with a dragon watching over her. (Sort of like your avitar) But he died so now I have to go with a bristleworm or portrait of Tim Conway, my double. ;Bucktooth

Katrina, if for some silly reason you want that book signed, You can send it to me and I will pay the postage.
Mat Damon will sign it right under my name.
I am sure after I croak, and I am old so that may not take to long, it will be worth at least half the price of the paper the book was printed on. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no idea that proceeds went to MS. I just want to say thank you @Paul B for the most entertaining (and informative) reefing book Ive ever read and thank you for your generosity. My daughter has MS and I'm glad that you, your tank, and your supermodels have teamed up to help.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LisaMarie, I am so sorry to hear that. She must be young. My wife has had it for about 25 years and as far as it goes, is doing fairly good. But she was in excellent shape and has always, and still goes to the gym 4 or 5 times a week which is what keeps her walking.

Good Luck to you and your Daughter and lets pray a cure is just around the corner.

My Daughter Jodi is the writer in the house and she wrote the foreword which is probably the best part of the book and she can spell. I needed an editor. :cool:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a problem with drugs for MS and other afflictions. Here is a new drug that basically does what all the other drugs say they do:

"The news comes in the form of two new drugs recently approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

The annual price tag is expected to be $88,500 for the treatment."

Insurance companies don't want to pay for these things which is why many people have to look to Europe or other places for drugs.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KingFitz, read every other word, then go back and read the words in between. It is much more interesting like that. ;Bookworm

My Daughter wrote the Foreword, she is the writer in the family.

And thanks. Every nickel goes to help cure MS.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B I've been reading your book s'more. I am allowed 5-10 minutes per day in the bathroom where the book is. I one time spent 2 hours inside the bathroom writing an article, and after that my wife started timing me. :p

Anyway, I noticed starting on page 84 that you talk about running ozone in your skimmer (for 35 years now.) Since ozone is an oxidizer it can kill pathogens; ich and other parasites included. You don't think maybe this is the #1 reason why your fish seem "immune" to parasites??

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No my good friend, but I wish it was and if it was then everyone should use Ozone.

I wrote the book in 2015 and before I moved here a year and a half ago my Ozonator croaked and I have not bought a new one yet and so far, nothing died even though I added about 10 fish since I got here and collected water and mud at least 5 times.

I am sure some parasites get into the skimmer but out of the 15,000 parasites that most people seem to get, not one has killed any of my fish in almost 50 years.

As I keep saying, and what keeps falling on deaf ears, my fish just kept the immunity all of our fish have from the sea.

It is very simple but we insist on making it hard.
Buy the fish and don't bother them to much. Throw them in your tank and feed food with living bacteria a few times a week.

Go out to dinner, try the Merlot and don't worry about it. They will be fine. but don't let them have any wine. :p

You don't quarantine dogs do you? :oops:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't quarantine dogs do you? :oops:

ACTUALLY, I did one time. Well not me, but the govt. insisted upon doing it. Kasey the Keeshond was observed for 1 month (the same as I recommend for fish) because she was traveling with me coming back from The Netherlands. I don't think they used copper or Prazipro on her though. What can I say, quarantine just follows me wherever I go. Does this precious baby really look like she has parasites to you? ;)

img006.jpg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread fell off my watch list and I forgot about it.. @Paul B thanks for supporting MS research! I will be ordering my copy today. as you know my daughter has been struggling with MS for 16 years (since the age of 15) at this point we have to do all the same things we did for her when she was 3, dressing, feeding, bathing etc.. it’s a horrible heartbreaking disease, we have tried all the treatments and nothing has made any significant impact although may have helped slow the progression.. We pray everyday for a cure for all those effected by MS. Thank you again!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Retro, that is awful. I really hate to see any kid sick. I realize she isn't a kid any longer but our kids are always kids to us.

Our Daughter is now 40.
Now we have a few medications but unfortunately none of them cure anything, just slow the progression. I try to do all I can but no matter what we do, it will take time.

Years ago there was nothing so now we have "some" hope.
My wife still can walk but not without a cane and usually not without me next to her.
I just took her shopping and she fell going in to the market, good thing I expect that so I held her.

I am so sorry to hear about your Daughter and Lisa Marie's Daughter.

You may know that I played Santa Claus at NYU Hospital for many years on the Child's cancer floor where they have the worst cases and 40% of them never make it home.
Like most people I really can't stand to see sick kids and going there was the hardest thing I ever did and I hated to go as I had to psyche myself up for it as I had to be Jolly and happy looking.

Most of the kids couldn't lift their head to take the toy.
My wife and I got great satisfaction afterwards but it took a lot out of me and I stopped doing it 3 years ago.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thoughts Paul.. Yes she’s still our kid and funny how we think of them like they where still in grade school ;Hilarious

Im like you and have a love / hate relationship with all the new medications, while some offered hope the side effects on many have been terrible for her.. she’s currently on Tysabri and we have to take her to a infusion center once a month for treatment.

Your volunteering at NYU was an amazing gift to those kids. I don’t think there is any way I would ever have the mental strength do that.. Kudos to you sir :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the book. I honestly have no intention of reading it, because I’m not much of a reader, but for a good cause I’m in.

Just put it in the bathroom and read a few pages here & there. If nothing else Paul's book will make you chuckle.

Seriously though, it's a good book. I'm learning new things, and I will even read excerpts to my wife to see how offended she gets (kidding!) :p

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously though, it's a good book. I'm learning new things, and I will even read excerpts to my wife to see how offended she gets (kidding!) :p

My sole purpose in life is to see if I can offend your wife. (not kidding)

I got the book. I honestly have no intention of reading it, because I’m not much of a reader, but for a good cause I’m in.

It's much more interesting if you don't read it. Our Daughter is the writer in the family and the foreword she wrote is the only good writing in the book.
I may read it again. :p

Humble, did you read the part about reading the fishes mind?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble, did you read the part about reading the fishes mind?

No, I'm in the DIY section trying to figure out how you ran ozone thru your skimmer. I've only ever used ozone in a reactor/generator.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm in the DIY section trying to figure out how you ran ozone thru your skimmer. I've only ever used ozone in a reactor/generator.

Some are “ozone ready” I personally use a reactor, but I know many skimmers are capable of it..... probably more often in the “antique” ones from yesteryear

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back