Looking for recommendations

Cmajor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Looking for some thoughts and suggestions here. Should I run 2x 36 inch Aquatic Life Hybrid T5HO fixtures with 2x A360x Kessils or 2x Kessils AP9XLED over my 125 gallon tank. Currently in the build phase so there is nothing in the tank. The tank will be a reef tank with a mix of corals and fish. The tank is 72x18.5x23.4. Please let me know what you all think. if this light spectrum will even cover the tank enough to keep corals healthy and happy.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the total number of lamps is:
4x36” T5’s and 4ea A360X ?
I’m gonna cast my vote for yes
OTOH 60 bucks and a par meter is the only way to be sure

OP
OP
C

Cmajor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the total number of lamps is:
4x36” T5’s and 4ea A360X ?
I’m gonna cast my vote for yes
OTOH 60 bucks and a par meter is the only way to be sure
So it will be 2 t5 fixtures both with 4 lights so a total of 8 t5 bulbs. Then 2 each a360x. One for each fixture

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my concern is ongoing cost for 8 36” T5’s .... replacing those every 18ms or whatever isn’t cheap ....

that tank is shallow enough for what you have to work but for the cost I might go a different route.
18” wide and 23” deep is within reach of a AI prime...
I’d say 6 primes or 3 Hydras would work
OR 4 Kessils. ....
Heck at that depth 72” Reefbrights are tempting
I’ve seen the 72” lit by a ATI Sunpower, no shimmer, no control, but will grow anything at your tanks depth
Honestly I wouldn’t worry about T5 fill in light with an under 18” width as most LEDs can blanket that without too much shadowing

I’m no lighting expert and will defer to more expert pinion, so bumping so you get more ideas & sample input

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cmajor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my concern is ongoing cost for 8 36” T5’s .... replacing those every 18ms or whatever isn’t cheap ....

that tank is shallow enough for what you have to work but for the cost I might go a different route.
18” wide and 23” deep is within reach of a AI prime...
I’d say 6 primes or 3 Hydras would work
OR 4 Kessils. ....
Heck at that depth 72” Reefbrights are tempting
I’ve seen the 72” lit by a ATI Sunpower, no shimmer, no control, but will grow anything at your tanks depth
Honestly I wouldn’t worry about T5 fill in light with an under 18” width as most LEDs can blanket that without too much shadowing

I’m no lighting expert and will defer to more expert pinion, so bumping so you get more ideas & sample input

Hey everyone. Looking for some thoughts and suggestions here. Should I run 2x 36 inch Aquatic Life Hybrid T5HO fixtures with 2x A360x Kessils or 2x Kessils AP9XLED over my 125 gallon tank. Currently in the build phase so there is nothing in the tank. The tank will be a reef tank with a mix of corals and fish. The tank is 72x18.5x23.4. Please let me know what you all think. if this light spectrum will even cover the tank enough to keep corals healthy and happy.
ok thanks for the input. I will look into the recommendations that you gave me.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting, mostly for the bump... gotta be better/alternate suggestions please...

Anyway
That 125 gal (72”x18”x24”) is idea for T6’s really. I had that tank 2 or 3 times; not a bad geometry aesthetically speaking, especially if given the right stand...

If I might suggest off topic, try a rock scape on just 45-60% across. Leaving 2ft bare. Depending on your fish mix, it makes a interesting look both aesthetically and behaviorally.
I’m also a card carrying minimalist convert.

Anyway, you could DIY a canopy with staggered 60” T5’s,
If you got tools and are a lil handy.
I’d wager you could pack 6 waterproof end caps across and maybe 1 or 2 ReefBrights for effects and shimmer.
Ballast and end cap prices aren’t bad. You would be under $500 I think. uh minus the Reefbrights that is.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back