Looks very interesting and cheaper powerhead

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good post on how they function! I played with it a bit. I like the way it adjusts. I like w1 so far with a couple second duration. It gives nice movement under water surface and about half inch waves at the top.

For a 220g tank....I wouldn't reccomend it as the only flow. For a 125...maybe... but a 220 would likely need two of these.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall tbough I'm very pleased..... may get another one sometime so if anybody does another geoup buy sometime let me know.

j3st3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seach ebay 12v 5a dimmer and it is the other type power supply i got coming its less than $5

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

probably a dumb question but shouldn't that be a 24v dimmer since that is the max operating volts and 12v is the minimum volts? if the dimmer is 12v and you dim it wouldn't that be less that 12v?

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably a dumb question but shouldn't that be a 24v dimmer since that is the max operating volts and 12v is the minimum volts? if the dimmer is 12v and you dim it wouldn't that be less that 12v?

You could use a 12v max...if you wanted it to run that slow. Think of the voltage as the speed. In my 220, I wouldn't bother using it at 12v. Perhaps somebody will post a link to the to the specific power supply that's needed.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the adjustable ones I ordered for it go from 12-24 volts. they are CHEAP and say they are for Laptops. GIVEN THAT, the pumps draw very little amperage. I think mine draw maybe 1 amp each total when they are running in else mode. for my tank i seem to like them at about 18-19 volts.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running mine full blast in a 180 is decent flow but no where near my tunze 6105. Wave mode makes a decent wave but i noticed it clicks and doesnt always spin when its suppose to. Also mine didnt come with a powercord in the box which is lame. Overall kinda dissapointed.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, that really sucks about the click. How bad is it? Maybe we need to exchange it. Ill email them tonight.

sent from my old fashioned Galaxy tab with Tapatalk 2

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u get a video of that happening? If so, ill send to them and get it replaced.

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 with Tapatalk.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch ur light sensor it may be kicking on and off

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Mine is completely silent when turning off and on. They must be really inconsistent in their manufacturing. Perhapz they need a good ENGLISH SPEAKING quality consultant. :) based on their instruction manual they need an American to help them.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im sure they do. we deal with China all the time for our products. my boss is headed there next week. I may see if he can grab me a few things.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im sure they do. we deal with China all the time for our products. my boss is headed there next week. I may see if he can grab me a few things.

I've been there on business and its definitely different from business here. They will make whatever you want...but you have to be very specific and hold their hand on things...train them on everything. A company I worked for wanted to outsource machined aluminum parts. The prototypes were shipped to us...all in one box. They beat dings in each other and weren't acceptable. They were told to bubble wrap the parts. Next shipment came in....all parts in a box and bubble wrap layered on the outside of the box.

Last edited:

gwhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock wood

So far mine works fine even in wave mode. It is silent. I have to put my ear to the glass to hear it. My mp10 I can hear across the room.

Gladfelter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, I got about three pages through catching up on this discussion then I just decided to ask. Sorry if its been covered somewhere in this giant section lol. My questions:

1. How many would be best for a standard 125 gallon.
2. What controllers are they compatiable with

My tank is still empty but going to get water in the next week once my trigger sump arrives but I have to figure out lighting and powerheads and then I started reading this thread. Thanks!

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i seem to have fixed the issue with the pump. Seems if its in the base holder a certain way it doesnt work well after moving it around seems to be working fine. It does make a killer wave i will say that. And now its pretty quiet but still has a slight noise but no where near the noise a Vortech makes. The nozzel size is between the regular flow and wide flow nozzels on my tunze 6105. In a 180 i dont think you need the variable dimmer thing at least i dont even at full blast its not stirring up sand but puts out decent flow for the cost. Id say overall its a decent buy if it lasts a few years without breaking but only time will tell.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike. This post made me smile. I'm glad its working better for you.

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 with Tapatalk.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.5%
Back