Lost 4 fish in 2 days. Ugh.

Grumbynet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tang presents a little different than the others that died. They had a white fuzz on them. Velvet? I don't have great pics of those fish with it, they were hiding. First the Powder brown and another similar tang went down fast after showing some dark spots (larger than black ich, more like flat blotches, a bit subtle to see) then they got this white fuzz on them. They died within hours. Then this morning the Clown and this pictured blue tang died later that morning. This blue tang had no visible symptoms yesterday. Whatever it is moves very fast and is decimating my fish. It's really sad to watch. Anyone know what it is?

Hippo Tang.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tang presents a little different than the others that died. They had a white fuzz on them. Velvet? I don't have great pics of those fish with it, they were hiding. First the Powder brown and another similar tang went down fast after showing some dark spots (larger than black ich, more like flat blotches, a bit subtle to see) then they got this white fuzz on them. They died within hours. Then this morning the Clown and this pictured blue tang died later that morning. This blue tang had no visible symptoms yesterday. Whatever it is moves very fast and is decimating my fish. It's really sad to watch. Anyone know what it is?

Hippo Tang.jpg

Welcome to Reef2Reef, sorry it wasn't under better circumstances!

As you may understand, with fast moving diseases that have already caused substantial fish loss, there is often nothing that can be done fast enough to stop additional fish loss.

If the fish are breathing fast, and if invertebrates in the tank all look good, then the presumptive diagnosis would be velvet.

More information would be needed however. Here is a link to a list of helpful info for us to have:

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
G

Grumbynet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. Yes, the inverts are fine, and that blue tang was gasping for air. That's what I suspected. I guess I will stop procrastinating on a quarantine tank. :(

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep qt is always the best, if no fish are in the tank right now its time to go fallow for a while anyway, perfect time to setup a 20-40 gallon qt, ez and cheap setup using cheap hob filter, heater, and medications. Oh and fritzyme 9 or 900 for ammonia/bacteria in qt

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back