Lost another cleaner shrimp

Fisherman Joe

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2015
Messages
749
Reaction score
235
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

I have lost another cleaner shrimp.

That's two in a month. In your experience what's the main cause of this?

I have noticed a little unknown hitchhiker crab in my new live rock. Looks sandy coloured with a black face. But I'm not sure if it's just him or if I'm under feeding etc.

Any advice?
 
Post a pic of the crab if you can. I lost my scarlet skunk cleaner recently myself. I believe he had problems with his molt since he was in the process of molting. Do you run carbon?
 
Pic of crab help
 
Post a pic of the crab if you can. I lost my scarlet skunk cleaner recently myself. I believe he had problems with his molt since he was in the process of molting. Do you run carbon?
Dang:D
 
Can't really get a picture of the crab. Very elusive.

I am running carbon ATM. Quite a bit.
 
Could be a predatory crab, like a gorilla or teddy bear. Any chance you have whelks?
 
How long did you acclimate? What's your Salinity?
 
Last edited:
It was in the tank two weeks and it was fine. Salinity is unchanged. Just died mysteriously.
 
The Nass snails- are they black? Do their snouts have a speckled or lined pattern? Or is it straight white/tan? Many LFS sell whelks as nass snails by mistake or ignorance. I have heard of others seeing their snails (that turn out to be whelks) stabbing the shrimp and just killing it. Or, you may still have a bad crab or parameter swings shocked him.
 
Then they likely aren't whelks, so that is good. I was unfortunate enough to get 2 come in on a little piece of live rock[emoji20] It very well could be the swing, do you dose?
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 75.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new