Loud OVerflows

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recently setup the 120. I did the overflows and plumbed everything. Well we are getting the loud gurgling sound on the overflows and where the overflows go into the filter sock. About ever 10 seconds. Its like water is backing up then surging creating the sound. Any ideas?

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have airbubble in the overflow pipes. I drilled a hole on top and put a airline tube in it so you can let the air out.

MitchReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill a little bitty air hole in the top of the durso top caps for suction relief. You have a situation where the sealed top is making the overflow pull a siphon, speed the flow up and then the water in the overflow area rapidly drops until air gets into the down-turned elbow of the durso, then breaking the siphon for a second....a tiny air hole will stop that surging siphon....

OP
OP
MikeB

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have durso's in the overflows. I tested sometihng someone else said, Maybe I have to much return..

So.

I am running 2 x Mag 7's and I turned one off and left one running, NO MORE NOISE.

My question will it be ok to use one pump for both returns? Hooking the Mag 7 up with a Y connector to both returns.

My tank is a 120g

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have durso's in the overflows. I tested sometihng someone else said, Maybe I have to much return..

So.

I am running 2 x Mag 7's and I turned one off and left one running, NO MORE NOISE.

My question will it be ok to use one pump for both returns? Hooking the Mag 7 up with a Y connector to both returns.

My tank is a 120g
?????? call me tomorrow at the store, I can always help:nerd:

TORMENTOR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through that situation about a month ago, I bought the new all glass durso pipe and tried that, nothing.....changed my return pump from a Quite One 4000 to the 3000 and BAM it took care of it. I know what you mean about loud, mine sounded like a giant 75 gallon coffee maker in my living room. It drove me nuts

GrouperGenius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Durso has a tendency of getting salt creep in the hole so every few days I poke it open again and the sound stops.

Happens to one of my tanks all the time.

Remember too, that you can reduce the flow from your pump with a ball valve. Easier and cheaper than buying new pumps.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back