Loud return pump

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t seem to silence my return pump and it’s really annoying, could anyone tell me a good return pump that is silent but still strong

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal (submersible) or external? How much flow and lift height?

Last edited:

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t seem to silence my return pump and it’s really annoying, could anyone tell me a good return pump that is silent but still strong
Hi, has it got rubber feet or is it touching the glass? DC pumps are very quiet and strong.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can place something underneath it like some sponge and if do weekly water changes just rinse the sponge out maybe or some other soft reef safe material

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can place something underneath it like some sponge and if do weekly water changes just rinse the sponge out maybe or some other soft reef safe material
I like silicone sheets under pumps... food safe and soft enough to stop vibration. Silicone tubing for return lines also help to quiet things down compared to vinyl or PVC.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pump has worked well for me for 3 years now. DC controllable and very quiet.
$75 on Amazon

aquastation Silent Swirl Controllable DC aquarium Pump 40W 1320GPH​

pump.png

OP
OP
FRANK48

FRANK48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pump has worked well for me for 3 years now. DC controllable and very quiet.
$75 on Amazon

aquastation Silent Swirl Controllable DC aquarium Pump 40W 1320GPH​

pump.png
Thank you

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has hydor dc pumps on clearance, but i always suggest going super oversized pump if going dc. That way you can run the pump at much lower power level and hear less noise as the impeller isnt working as hard

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has hydor dc pumps on clearance, but i always suggest going super oversized pump if going dc. That way you can run the pump at much lower power level and hear less noise as the impeller isnt working as hard

Very good suggestion with higher rated pump than needed and dial it down so possibly quieten it,extend the life of pump,and can tee off return pipework and add on reactors etc and if upgrade tank to bigger tank could possibly still use pump as pump not working as hard for most of above so all round brilliant simple idea.
Im using stock pump that come with my aqua one 300 reef tank and dont have problem with noise at all.
And my stock protein skimmer,majority say upgrade to a fancy new named one but i just watched lots videos and suggestions on how to use it to best of its ability and every week at wc day i got greeny/ brown gunk in skimmer 3/ 4 full and run it more dryer so thick gloopy gunk so its doing its job so wont upgrade.
So my point is we all have different expectations of how things run or should work etc and someone maybe happy with what they say is a very quiet pump and recommend it but the next guy may say its far to loud so we all have different expectations.
And something i found interesting i watched a you tube video of an Australian guy who got a big lfs and customer was complaining of a noisy piece of equipment ( was a stock piece that come with the tank) and customer says someone recommended this fancy expensive named brand one so he wanted that installing so he installed the fancy expensive one and said " is this ok do you think its quieter and acceptable " and customer said yes thats brilliant and much quieter,
The australian you tuber then showed customer readings on his decibal reading machine thing of how loud the original stock equipment was and readings of new fancy one was and low and behold the cheap stock one was much quieter so my point as long winded as it is ( i waffle on far to much i know lol) is just because something costs more and alot people using it for a particular reason it doesnt mean its true as we all got different expectations and we can get easily influenced.
And im not saying this to say anyone above who recommend a certain pump is wrong,i just saying imo we need be careful to not get influenced because something more expensive/and more people use it.
I think best to go look reviews of products and get something that fits our own individual needs and that could be the cheapest if it does the job and will last a bit or could be most expensive and do the job and last a bit.

Last edited:
Back