lower reef tank temps

  • Thread starter Thread starter ThaBeast
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ThaBeast

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 4, 2009
Messages
827
Reaction score
442
Location
Henderson KY
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone here run their reef below 75 degrees? I read in one of Sprung & Delbeek's books that temps of 74 and below reduce algae and was wondering if anyone had tried it.
 
Mine swings down to 74 during the night hours. Higher temp is supposedly supposed to raise growth rates (higher metabolism) in most creatures. Could be true from algae..I usually deal with algae by feeding correctly/normal light times/etc.
 
Thanks, I was just curious. I usually run mine at 76, lately I've been keeping it at 75. I've been battling a slight outbreak of cyano (really bacteria) and some bubble algae I apparently missed on a frag. On the cyano, I've come to the conclusion that my lights are old
 
I always wondered about this... Mostly due to the temps in between seasons, my tank always seems to suffer from temp swings between seasons, you know when it's not hot enuf for the ac and not cold enuf for the heat but have never been brave enuf to try it :)
 
how long are u running your lights do u use metal hilides?
Not running halides yet; currently running staggered t5 lighting from 108w to 216w to 324w back to216w to 108w about 10 hrs/day. Bulbs are old, didn't change as I am waiting on my new fixture to arrive
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new