LR's 90g

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been planning this tank out for over 7 months and slowly gathering the equipment for it and finally got it up and running last week.

Equipment
  • 90g rr tank
  • Custom Stand
  • Berlin Sump - BS2
  • Reef Dynamics INS100 Protein Skimmer
  • Eheim 1262 Pump - 900GPH
  • Finnex 500W Deluxe Titanium Heating Tube
  • 2x AI Sol Blue Unit w/Controller and 48" mounting rack w/hanging kit
  • ReefKeeper Elite
  • 2x VorTech MP40w ES w/backup wet-side assembly
  • VorTech MP10w ES w/backup wet-side assembly
  • VorTech Battery Backup
  • Aqua 25w UV
  • 3x BRS 2 Part Doser - 1.1 mL Per Minute (Dosing 2 Part and Mg)
Full Tank
photo-1.jpg

Left side
photo2-1.jpg

Right Side
photo3.jpg

I used about 70lbs of Reefsaver Rock and 60lbs of CaribSea Special Grade Reef Sand

Sump
photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

And with dosing pumps put in
DosingPumps.jpg

Everything is up and running, but I am still having problems calibrating my pH probe and I need to get my RKE NET module up and running.

OP
OP
LiveRock27

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question I do have is when should I start running carbon? Right now I am going to be running it in a bag in the sump, but hoping to upgrade to a reactor(if I can find room under the stand).

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start the tank off with dry rock and live sand? If so I don't think there's a need to run carbon until you start ding livestock. Even then you don't have to use carbon, but it definitely has a lot of benefits. Looking great btw! I like the aquascape!!!

OP
OP
LiveRock27

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!
Thank you!

Did you start the tank off with dry rock and live sand? If so I don't think there's a need to run carbon until you start ding livestock. Even then you don't have to use carbon, but it definitely has a lot of benefits. Looking great btw! I like the aquascape!!!
I started the tank with the dry rock and sand(not sure if the Special Grade is live sand). I plan on running carbon, but with my old aquairums I had started running it at the start, but was unsure if that was needed.
Thanks for the compliment on the aquascape. i drilled the rock as well to allow for frag plugs in the future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LiveRock27

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change before I went out of town last week and retested the water last night and everything looked good. I had my LFS test my water again this morning to make sure and they had the same readings so I added a small CUC(Astraea, Nassarius, Banded Trochus snails, and a Peppermint Shrimp). Just added a few of each of the types of snails because there is not a lot of algea yet. I will see how these do and keep an eye on my water quality, but I am hoping to transfer my pair of ORA Black Ocellaris, Wheeler's Shrimp Goby, and Pistol Shrimp from the 14g BC to this tank by the end of the week. Then I can start fragging the zoas, acans, chalice, and few sps that survived the move.

photo1-1.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Last edited:

Cubbies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the plan for stock and coral. How do you like the flow. That's seems like a heck of alot of flow!

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the plan for stock and coral. How do you like the flow. That's seems like a heck of alot of flow!

I don't think it's too much imho. I am sure dialing the vortechs down to be tolerable will slow things down a bit.
LR nice job with taking ur time and getting what u wanted . Leaves no second guessing and no revamping .
Looks good ...

Sent from my Moto Atrix using Tapatalk

OP
OP
LiveRock27

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.

I have the vortechs dialed down to around 60%. I had them a little higher, but it was causing the sand to have low spots in the middle of the tank.

My plan for corals is mainly SPS, but I will also have some zoas/palys and chalices. I am also looking for a nice anemone for my clowns. I want to hold off putting the clowns in this tank until I find it and then I am going to keep them all in a breeding box to see if I can get the anemone to host them before putting them in the tank.

As for fish my wife wants a Hippo Tang, but I am trying to convince her that our tank is too small for the long term health of the fish. I think I might lose this battle. I personally want a trio of Lyretail Anthias and down the line a Red Mandarin.

OP
OP
LiveRock27

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed a few test frags in the tank the other day. An AC Purple Thunder, AC Tropical Sunset Milli, Purple Deaths, and Red Hornets. The zoas/palys are all open and doing well. The SPS is showing some polyp extension, but all still have a lot of coloring up to do after fragging them and moving them to the new setup.

photo21.jpg

I got an early Christmas present this morning. I picked up a male Lyretail Anthia and 3 females.
I watched all 4 eat at the store and all 4 are now out swimming around in my tank and all of them ate some mysis shrimp.

photo5-1.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo3-3.jpg

I have an anemone coming in beginning of next week(thank you WT) and will be moving over my Clowns and goby when it arrives.

I am also hoping to get a new camera after Christmas, so I can take some good pictures of the tank because right now I only have my Iphone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LiveRock27

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transfered over everyone last night from my biocube, but it took a lot longer than I expected.
My SG in the BC had gotten up to 1.030. Every one made it in fine and all are out eating. today..
A little better picture of my male anthia
MaleAnthia.jpg

Clowns
Clowns.jpg

I fraged everything I could today and I am transfering over my AC Kryptonight
acan, AC Fruit loops acan, 2 differnt AC rainbow acans, blue eyed devil zoas,
raptor rainbow zoas, Captin America palys, and 1 other zoa that i can't remember
now. The purple deaths, lunar eclipse, and Purple thunder acro that I put in
last week are all doing well and have colored up nicely. the strawberry
shortcake acro and sunset milli are still browned out, but have some polyp
extension, so I think they will just take longer to color back up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back