Macro Evo Build!

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Just set up my Fluval Evo last night and I plan on making it a macroalgae tank! For equipment I'm using:
-100 Watt Cobalt neotherm heater
-Sicce syncra 0.5 pump
-stock light

For the scape, I figured I would keep the rockwork low and let the algae give it height (let me know what you think). I'm not totally sure what algae I want yet but I'm thinking caulerpa, pom pom, and maybe some ogo. I would like to get a Xenia as well at some point. If you have any suggestions on nice looking algae, let me know!

Now to start the long process of cycling!

IMG_20200617_104607.jpg IMG_20200617_104555.jpg

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue hypnea and Dragon tongue are neat looking. Just don't forget to dose trace elements (I use chaetogro for my refugium)! I would avoid caulerpa or any messy algaes (plus caulerpa is killed by fluconazole which I used to kill the hair algae that smothered my macro.

OP
OP
Crested

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue hypnea and Dragon tongue are neat looking. Just don't forget to dose trace elements (I use chaetogro for my refugium)! I would avoid caulerpa or any messy algaes (plus caulerpa is killed by fluconazole which I used to kill the hair algae that smothered my macro.
Thank you for the info! As a college student, RO/DI isn't very plausible right now so I'm using distilled water from the store. I was thinking maybe using tap water for top offs? My water is perfect for growing freshwater plants, so maybe it would be beneficial to add a little for macros? Let me know if I'm completely wrong lol

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few websites I can list you that have very good selections of gulf coast algaes, I've purchased from both and have to say I'm pleased.

gulfspecimen.org

live-plants.com

Good luck ,I'll be following this build!
God bless!

OP
OP
Crested

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few websites I can list you that have very good selections of gulf coast algaes, I've purchased from both and have to say I'm pleased.

gulfspecimen.org

live-plants.com

Good luck ,I'll be following this build!
God bless!
Awesome websites, thanks for the info!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info! As a college student, RO/DI isn't very plausible right now so I'm using distilled water from the store. I was thinking maybe using tap water for top offs? My water is perfect for growing freshwater plants, so maybe it would be beneficial to add a little for macros? Let me know if I'm completely wrong lol

You can get jugs of distilled to top off just make sure it isn't distilled with copper. If you use tap, try to get a hold of the city water supply chart and check with people on here.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m dosing fluconazole right now and it has done nothing to my Caulerpa mexicana and Caulerpa brachypus, even at 30mg/gal. It’s day eight (I think), so it could still affect it, but all of my bryopsis/Derbesia is dying and the caulerpa is still growing. I’m not trying to kill the caulerpa, so I’m happy it hasn’t affected it so far.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back