Manny is back!

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone! My name is Manuel and I currently live in Caldwell Idaho. Just purchased a used setup and I would like to share it with you all. But first, here is the rundown.

I started the hobby back in 2013, when I was living in College Station Texas for my first two years of undergrad. I was driven to saltwater fish after a scuba diving adventure I had in Thailand, when our ship pulled in to port (6 years Navy). In Texas, I met a local reefer who took me under his wing and showed me the ropes. Texas wasn't for me so I transferred to the University of Oregon, where I finished my undergraduate degree. I broke down the tank and vowed to setup once again after I purchased my home. I moved to Idaho to attend Law School. We bought a house last year. I started a staff attorney position in October. Then I found the right deal on Facebook marketplace so I pulled the trigger.

This whole time I've been in contact with my friend from Texas. Even after so many years, he is still willing to geek out with me over aquarium stuff. Big shout out to Jonathan Coursey from College Station Texas. He's been giving me some pointers on how to bet back in. We are making sure we do things right this time around.

I found a used 300 gallon setup. It measures 72x36x27. The previous owner build his own stand and canopy. The tank came with an eshopps ADV300 sump, Reef Octopus classic INT-150, BNIB 4 pump Doser, Jebao return pump, 3 aquatic life 14" LED units, custom 2 bulb T5 unit, about 300 lbs of rock, about 300 lbs of sand, BNIB UV sterilizer, bio-pellet reactor, ATO, the list goes on.

Since purchasing the aquarium, I have additionally acquired the following:
2 MP40s new, 1 maxspect gyre XF350 with controller, maxspect return pump rated around 2500gph, 5 stage RODI unit from BRS, GHL Profilux 4e used, orange PVC plumbing. Really, all I need now to start with the basics are the salt and heaters.

Made a deal with the wife that if she let me put in such a large aquarium, I would put in new floors in our home. She accepted. Truth is, I wouldn't have put the tank on carpet regardless.

I plan on having the tank be as automated as possible. Going to go heavy with the GHL products. Additionally, I will be setting up an external fish room using a storage shed from Home Depot.

Wow. Just realized I'm starting to turn this into a build thread. I will stop here. Anyhow, Greetings from Idaho. Hope you all have patience for me because I have tons of questions.

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! My name is Manuel and I currently live in Caldwell Idaho. Just purchased a used setup and I would like to share it with you all. But first, here is the rundown.

I started the hobby back in 2013, when I was living in College Station Texas for my first two years of undergrad. I was driven to saltwater fish after a scuba diving adventure I had in Thailand, when our ship pulled in to port (6 years Navy). In Texas, I met a local reefer who took me under his wing and showed me the ropes. Texas wasn't for me so I transferred to the University of Oregon, where I finished my undergraduate degree. I broke down the tank and vowed to setup once again after I purchased my home. I moved to Idaho to attend Law School. We bought a house last year. I started a staff attorney position in October. Then I found the right deal on Facebook marketplace so I pulled the trigger.

This whole time I've been in contact with my friend from Texas. Even after so many years, he is still willing to geek out with me over aquarium stuff. Big shout out to Jonathan Coursey from College Station Texas. He's been giving me some pointers on how to bet back in. We are making sure we do things right this time around.

I found a used 300 gallon setup. It measures 72x36x27. The previous owner build his own stand and canopy. The tank came with an eshopps ADV300 sump, Reef Octopus classic INT-150, BNIB 4 pump Doser, Jebao return pump, 3 aquatic life 14" LED units, custom 2 bulb T5 unit, about 300 lbs of rock, about 300 lbs of sand, BNIB UV sterilizer, bio-pellet reactor, ATO, the list goes on.

Since purchasing the aquarium, I have additionally acquired the following:
2 MP40s new, 1 maxspect gyre XF350 with controller, maxspect return pump rated around 2500gph, 5 stage RODI unit from BRS, GHL Profilux 4e used, orange PVC plumbing. Really, all I need now to start with the basics are the salt and heaters.

Made a deal with the wife that if she let me put in such a large aquarium, I would put in new floors in our home. She accepted. Truth is, I wouldn't have put the tank on carpet regardless.

I plan on having the tank be as automated as possible. Going to go heavy with the GHL products. Additionally, I will be setting up an external fish room using a storage shed from Home Depot.

Wow. Just realized I'm starting to turn this into a build thread. I will stop here. Anyhow, Greetings from Idaho. Hope you all have patience for me because I have tons of questions.
That’s awesome!! I cant wait to see how it turns out

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun.... :)

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
62957031329__F31A1DD0-572D-42AF-98A4-4E4EB9A2CFBD.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community and family

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a very rough photo of what my tank looks like sitting in my garage. Its getting cleaned up. I definitely appreciate the previous owners handiwork but I don't think the finished product will sit well with our modern theme in our home. So we are probably going to wrap it in something more modern.

Brooke24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a very rough photo of what my tank looks like sitting in my garage. Its getting cleaned up. I definitely appreciate the previous owners handiwork but I don't think the finished product will sit will in my modern home. So we are probably going to wrap it in something more modern.
Nice!!! Stock list ideas?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You've joined a great community with lots of friendly and helpful folks. Looking forward to watching your build thread! Thank you for your service!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back