Mantis shrimp nano tank?

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

ive decided to get a peacock mantis shrimp and give it its own tank. I found an old oceanic 8 gallon bio cube on Craigslist for 35$ and was thinking of using that. It fits perfectly on my nightstand. I also have a 20 gallon setup that I took down a few months ago when I upgraded. But it is a budget 20 gal setup and not exactly quiet or pretty. I think 8 gallons could be big enough for a mantis shrimp if I provide it with lots of burrowing spaces and a deep sand bed. What do you think?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peacock Mantis can get pretty sizable. Not sure long term an 8 gallon would make for a happy Mantis.
I may be wrong in this, but I suggest asking an experienced Mantis keeper

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want one for a nano, go with a G. smithii, the purple-spot mantis. I have mine in a Waterbox 10 cube and he's doing great.

7mgTriJl.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perpetual Novice

Perpetual Novice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peacock Mantis can get pretty sizable. Not sure long term an 8 gallon would make for a happy Mantis.
I may be wrong in this, but I suggest asking an experienced Mantis keeper

I think I have read a 40 long is what they need
Ok so I have revised my plans. I’m now thinking of using a fluval flex 15 gallon. I know they’re meant for freshwater but the idea isn’t to grow corals. Just to offer enough filtration for the shrimp. Do you think that might work?

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my odont in a 40 breeder and sometimes think that’s too small as she’s (guessing it’s a she because of the muted colors, but never had her sexed) gotten pretty big over the past couple years. I absolutely love her personality, though she can get a little aggressive at feeding time. She isn’t shy at all and comes up to the glass whenever I go near and will follow me and tap the glass when I don’t pay attention. Not sure that a 15gal would be enough as she is really active, and appx 5-6 inches long.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roy Caldwell is recognized as a leading expert on mantis shrimp including keeping in aquaria. His recommendation for a peacock mantis is 100 gallons and I'm pretty confident he knows a lot more than any of us do. It may be wise to re-evaluate your plan for a peacock and either get a larger tank or go with a smaller species. On the other major forum his user name is "Gonodactylus" and there is tons of info.

I'd take the time to research around on his site: https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/

We have a very knowledgeable member here as well. You may want to reach out: @ritter6788

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wennerae in a 20 long. It was in a 10 gallon but didn't seem too thrilled. I'm thinking of upgrading my display tank. The mantis will get the 40 breeder if I do.

I agree with Sierra Bravo. You'll need a larger tank for a peacock. Or a different species.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely go with a smaller species like smithii or wennerae! Peacocks can get to 8 inches long and as big around as like a hot dog

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back