Marine Depot is Hiring!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
staff%2B1.jpg

CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE

We are looking for customer service representatives to join our support team in MarineDepot.com’s Garden Grove, CA headquarters. You will be the frontline of our company and engage with customers on a daily basis via phone, email and live chat. Your job is to make customers happy by resolving problems and providing accurate information in a professional and timely manner. You will provide shoppers with accurate information about our products and how to properly use them. You will also answer questions about order status, order tracking, returns and site navigation in a prompt and courteous manner. MarineDepot.com offers paid training, flexible scheduling (great for college students!) and an excellent healthcare package.

staff%2B2.jpg

YOUR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
  • Responding to and resolving customer issues with urgency
  • Assuming responsibility for projects and tasks as they occur
  • Assisting customers to ensure they have a positive shopping experience
  • Ensuring the implementation and development of the Family Friendly Concept
  • Working with the Customer Satisfaction Index to benchmark and improve our service execution

staff%2B3.jpg

QUALIFIED CANDIDATES SHOULD POSSESS:
  • Computer literacy (Windows PC, web browsers)
  • Excellent verbal and written communication skills
  • The ability to multi-task in a high call/email volume environment
  • Proven problem solving skills with attention to detail and follow-up
  • An outgoing, positive attitude about providing superior customer service
  • The desire to share your knowledge and experience to help others succeed
  • Saltwater/reef aquarium and fishkeeping experience (Not required, but a huge plus!)
  • Willingness to learn more about the hobby
The starting wage for this position is $12-$15 per hour depending on experience.

If you are interested in joining our team, please email your resume to [email protected] for consideration.

staff%2B4.jpg

ABOUT MARINEDEPOT.COM

MarineDepot.com is a fast growing online aquarium supply company located in Garden Grove, CA. We're looking for smart, creative people who will give 100 percent. Ideal candidates must be dedicated, detail-oriented team players that will thrive in a fast-paced, high-volume ecommerce work environment. The office atmosphere here is low-key, casual and collaborative. We have ugly sweater parties, company pot lucks, celebrate Take Your Dog To Work Day® and have a great healthcare and benefits package that includes discounts on aquarium and pet products. Although it is not a prerequisite to working with us, most of our employees are pet/aquarium owners. We love what we do!

Last edited:

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My son would be perfect for marine depot but that wage would not work for very many people as they can make that at In N Out. Not a wage for a married person with children especially in California.

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
That's a lot of experience needed for such little pay.

dnyceli

View Badges
Reaction score
I would love to work for this company, but the salary is not feasible

Live Water

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm in san diego and wish I could take that job but the pay won't work in southern California....

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
This is an entry-level position that is ideal for someone with both customer service and hobby experience. The pay range listed is the hourly starting rate. However, like most jobs the salary is commensurate with experience and what value the individual adds to the company. Many of our team members have additional duties and/or work on projects which are beyond the scope of their regular responsibilities and are compensated accordingly. If you feel you can meet the demands of the customer service role and do more for us, tell us!

One cool aspect about working at Marine Depot is we promote from within. We have employees that started working in our warehouse or customer service departments who went on to become department managers (customer support, IT and web design, to name a few), project managers, writers, photographers, purchasers, etc.

Spschief85

View Badges
Reaction score
Love how people harp the pay... I understand it's in Cali... I started at 10.63 an hour at my current job.. no cnc experience, a year and a half later I'm at 21.50 an hour straight pay and I work 50 to 60 hours a week... I go into work tonite making 64.50 because that's how much they pay me an hour to work holidays... needless to say starting pay isn't a good indicator of what you can make when you Excell in a peticular work environment, the only downfall is the living expenses of cali, and having a reputable company with years of work experience will go even farther, I make internal components to afew different model hondas, the CRV, Accord, and Civic, my last thought if you drive one of these I may have made a part in it. Good day and happy reefing.

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
So what do you consider a feasible Salary for this Job?

Just throwing this out here, and we'll use middle of the road numbers to provide a basis. We'll say an employee is paid 13.50/hr, working 40 hours a week, 4 weeks a month. EBIT = $2,160/month or $25,920/year. The effective tax rates in Garden Grove (92843) average to around 16.55%. So that takes your monthly income to $1,802.52, or your annual income to $21,630.24. Average rent in the area comes to $1,778/month, or $21,336/year.

I know there are other factors, of course. Cheaper rent, advancement within the company, working in an industry you love, etc... I also understand this is an entry level position and traditionally entry level positions are of the lowest paying positions. But these numbers, although rough and vague, provide a pretty decent representation of your income and rent expenses, and doesn't account for a single meal, gas, social, etc.... I can make twice that making burritos in Denver, luckily I don't have to do that, though.

NeptuneGarden

View Badges
Reaction score
Just throwing this out here, and we'll use middle of the road numbers to provide a basis. We'll say an employee is paid 13.50/hr, working 40 hours a week, 4 weeks a month. EBIT = $2,160/month or $25,920/year. The effective tax rates in Garden Grove (92843) average to around 16.55%. So that takes your monthly income to $1,802.52, or your annual income to $21,630.24. Average rent in the area comes to $1,778/month, or $21,336/year.

I know there are other factors, of course. Cheaper rent, advancement within the company, working in an industry you love, etc... I also understand this is an entry level position and traditionally entry level positions are of the lowest paying positions. But these numbers, although rough and vague, provide a pretty decent representation of your income and rent expenses, and doesn't account for a single meal, gas, social, etc.... I can make twice that making burritos in Denver, luckily I don't have to do that, though.

That's why there are these things called "room mates". Geez, everyone seems to think entry level pay should be $50k/yr for a phone support tech. Wake up people. Entry level jobs are meant to be just that. Entry level. Pay your dues, rough it out on raman and peanut butter for a while, work hard, and move up and forward.

The $12-15/hr does not even begin to start to cover MarineDepot's real cost per hour. There's a whole list of hidden taxes and cost that employees never see. For an employee you pay $15/hr to, your out of pocket total expense to handle all the additional taxes, paper work, training, and support personnel to handle that full time job can reach $20-25+/hr in out of pocket expense.

ThePriceSeliger

View Badges
Reaction score
That's why there are these things called "room mates". Geez, everyone seems to think entry level pay should be $50k/yr for a phone support tech. Wake up people. Entry level jobs are meant to be just that. Entry level. Pay your dues, rough it out on raman and peanut butter for a while, work hard, and move up and forward.

The $12-15/hr does not even begin to start to cover MarineDepot's real cost per hour. There's a whole list of hidden taxes and cost that employees never see. For an employee you pay $15/hr to, your out of pocket total expense to handle all the additional taxes, paper work, training, and support personnel to handle that full time job can reach $20-25+/hr in out of pocket expense.

No where did I say 50K is a reasonable starting wage for anyone in customer service. My post was more a statement on the low pay x high tax rate x increasing cost of living in CA. I'm not offering a solution, I just put the numbers down so we could see. Also, $1,778 was an average for the area for 1-bedroom housing, so I'd assume 2-bedroom will raise exponentially.

And Marine Depot's cost of training, taxes, HR, etc... is an entirely separate discussion about business economics and shouldn't effect their pay to a dramatic degree if they ever wanted any employee retention.

roboshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Is Marine Depot hiring underaged people? Lol probably not. I would do best in tech support through computer, text, or email.

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm older than you but me two! Just a few more years...

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
You don't have to answer.
Sorry, I have only met a few other people near my age that also have saltwater tanks :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 78.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.0%
Back