Marine Pure

Monsinour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing vids on this stuff. Is it good? Is it something you would use? How long would you leave it in the tank?

FartyParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large marine pure brick that i move back and fourth between my main display and quarantine tank. It prevents the qt tank from cycling.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing vids on this stuff. Is it good? Is it something you would use? How long would you leave it in the tank?
I have an 8x4 block in my return pump chamber and cubes in my refugium instead of a deep sand bed. Great home for critters and beneficial bacteria. I rinse both types in tank water every 6 months or so - easy peezy.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the smaller plate in my sump. Thinking about removing it though as its crumbling and small pieces of it are ending up all over the sump and return chamber, not overly impressed with it because of that. I am sure it works at housing bacteria though, just tired of the crumbling.

TripleDogDareYah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that some people have reported elevated levels of aluminum when using Marine Pure. Apparently, some ceramics can leach aluminum and I believe the manufacturer has confirmed that Al is used in making Marine Pure.

That being said... I still use it in one of my tanks and although I haven't sent the water from that tank in for testing, everything is thriving in there.

AcanSam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the smaller plate in my sump. Thinking about removing it though as its crumbling and small pieces of it are ending up all over the sump and return chamber, not overly impressed with it because of that. I am sure it works at housing bacteria though, just tired of the crumbling.
ryan at brs mentioned they had batch issues leading to this. Supposedly this was a batch issue and not the norm.May want to look into your batch and see if this was the reason.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first ICP test showed high aluminum and tin https://lab.atiaquaristik.com/publicAnalysis/31912
I assume the aluminum is from the Marine Pure 2x2" blocks I had in the sump, not sure about the tin.

I replaced the Marine Pure with dry rock rubble and plan on doing another ICP test in a few weeks. There's no coral in the tank yet, but I figured high aluminum would be one less variable to deal with in the future.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back