OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply mark, I wasn't exactly thinking of doing a daily dose. I was thinking of jut adding one drop to keep it around .02-.04, and when it creeps up to .08-.1 adding another drop which I imagine would be every couple of weeks or so.

Would chemipure be a better option (I assume it helps keep phosphate levels down?)

No, it's just carbon and GFO and I don't like using GFO, too aggressive for me and I always had stability problems trying to predict when it was depleted. Your plan sounds good.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark your tank has come a long way. I'm very impressed. Keep it up buddy. You have me very curious about phosphate RX. I'm still using ROWA out of habit (and it works), but I would love to move away from it one day.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark your tank has come a long way. I'm very impressed. Keep it up buddy. You have me very curious about phosphate RX. I'm still using ROWA out of habit (and it works), but I would love to move away from it one day.

Thanks Rich, that means a lot.

I wish I was more sure about Lanthanum buildup in the system. Every day I have a little more and so far there have been no issues, but everything is always fine until it isn't. :D Could it be why some acros refuse to color up, or is it something else. The biggest thing for me is that I have living acros rather than dead ones. A big first step.

DaveRaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I followed your other thread for a long time and you've helped to inspire my current build. Your set up and livestock look great man. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going strong, growth and colors are much improved. I lost my favorite pink acro for unknown reasons. In the past I might have reacted but I let it die without doing any significant changes. It didn't like something, not sure what.

Y07WWHB.jpg

dflSJDX.jpg

Blue only
TebvHsy.jpg

3AfKE8k.jpg

04XAxpd.jpg

acQOwqy.jpg

01l6Xsc.jpg

TN8CR0o.jpg

OmrkpOX.jpg

Blue only
3hR1sQC.jpg

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still dosing the lanthum chloride drops? I think that really might be the cheapest/easiest/most controllable way to keep phosphates low but detectable.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still dosing the lanthum chloride drops? I think that really might be the cheapest/easiest/most controllable way to keep phosphates low but detectable.

I am but it may interfere with the health of some SPS if LC makes it into the display. I upped my dosing to 4 drops daily just before losing the pink acro and it may have played a part in it's demise. I have since reduced to a single drop in the first sump chamber and everything has stayed stable or improved. It's really hard to say if that did it, or if it was something else. PO4 is around .05 now.

xilez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks good Mark! Question, if you have a brown sps, do you try moving it up into higher light? if so, about how long does it take to go from brown to colored? would the opposite be true for paler frags?

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks good Mark! Question, if you have a brown sps, do you try moving it up into higher light? if so, about how long does it take to go from brown to colored? would the opposite be true for paler frags?

Thanks.

I have a couple of brown frags I've yet to color back up after a year of brown. Growing and healthy but brown. Pale indicates not enough nutrients, rich brown but healthy indicates something else. Sometimes acros just wake up, sometimes they don't.

Take this one, for example. it woke up and started to grow but the left side is still dirt brown and will not color up. Go figure. :)
UjZHsOT.jpg

In my limited experience healthy acros that are going to color up will do so even in lower PAR. Some times acros just don't adapt to tank like, especially mariciltured and/or wild caught, and will refuse to color up or just up and die after a while.

OP
OP
markalot

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Messing around with a new D5500 (edit: wrote the wrong number) camera body. Higher ISO has a lot less gain, allowing me to close the aperture and get more depth of field. This angled shot at a milli I placed lower down in the tank came out quite good, ans also shows just how invasive the Xenia is. Because it's harmless to pull and remove I let it grow, then prune every few weeks. SPS seem to enjoy any Xenia 'smoke' that results from pruning.

sh0yjBk.jpg

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back