OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got two of the three screen tops done this weekend. Hopefully, I will get the third one done here shortly. The first two turned out great. Sorry I just got a picture of the one.
IMG_0796.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm watching all the videos on the Neptune Sky, I wish they were out a couple of months ago, and I would probably have bought them. But I have too much money invested in light rights now, I can't justify another 3K, the wife would kill me.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm watching all the videos on the Neptune Sky, I wish they were out a couple of months ago, and I would probably have bought them. But I have too much money invested in light rights now, I can't justify another 3K, the wife would kill me.

Would be a huge waste of money to go from one great light to another great light. What you already have will grow anything you want.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have a recommendation for a phosphate test kit. I have lost confidence in the Hana phosphate tester. The readings are all over the board, and I don’t know which one to trust.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sort of expect your phos readings to be all over the place while the gha is dying off and being consumed and pooped out again by the tangs. Hold off on changing the Hannah checker til at least two months after the ugly phase and I think in that time you'll see the readings stabilise.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sort of expect your phos readings to be all over the place while the gha is dying off and being consumed and pooped out again by the tangs. Hold off on changing the Hannah checker til at least two months after the ugly phase and I think in that time you'll see the readings stabilise.
Even in a period of 10 minutes, have swing of plus or minus 30. I can under stand over the period of days, but not in 10 minutes. However, I think I may have found another problem. I think I ordered the wrong reagent. I have the ULR and the reagent is LR. Either way I ordered the regular phosphate meter from Hana.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even in a period of 10 minutes, have swing of plus or minus 30. I can under stand over the period of days, but not in 10 minutes. However, I think I may have found another problem. I think I ordered the wrong reagent. I have the ULR and the reagent is LR. Either way I ordered the regular phosphate meter from Hana.

Yeah LR is more concentrated and when used in a ULR checker it would be giving readings beyond it's parameters so readings all over the place isn't surprising.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for not posting. I have been in bed for days with Covid. I'm reasonably sure I lost most of my tester corals. I'm not going to get any more until the GHA is gone. Also I'm still working on stability issues with nutrients. I think I have fixed my problems with salinity.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you all the best and a quick recovery!!

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after recovering for the most part from covid. I had a very unpleasant surprise. I only used one box of HW salt in my mixing container. Keep in mind the container was clean before the salt. Now I have a massive amount of brown sludge in the bottom of the tank. The water was so bad I just pumped out 200 gallons of RODI water to the yard, rather than put it in my tank. I'm thinking that's where all the GHA is coming from. Let's just say I have a box of HW salt sitting in the garage, and I will most likely toss it in the trash rather than put it in my tank. Because now I have to tear it all apart to clean it out. I ordered some TM. HW salt is some of the worse salt I have ever used. Even instant ocean is better.
The other bad news is my grandmother passed away while I was sick with Covid. So next week I have taken several days off of work to go to the funeral and work on the tank.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your grandma and the COVID adventure. Get yourself better and the tank will come back around in time.

on the salt front, that is frustrating. My biggest problem with TM has been availability. May be better now, but for a lot of last year finding it was rather difficult. Great salt. I think you will really like it.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm over Covid, and the funeral is tomorrow. I'm hoping life gets back to normal after that.
Here are some pictures of the mixing container before i cleaned it.
IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

That's not it, I also found out the controller for my Maxpect 350 is half dead so half the flow in the tank is not working.

I'm now thinking what changes need to be made to the flow. I'm thinking about adding some MP's but I'm not sure which ones, or how many I have several ideas.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm over Covid, and the funeral is tomorrow. I'm hoping life gets back to normal after that.
Here are some pictures of the mixing container before i cleaned it.
IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

That's not it, I also found out the controller for my Maxpect 350 is half dead so half the flow in the tank is not working.

I'm now thinking what changes need to be made to the flow. I'm thinking about adding some MP's but I'm not sure which ones, or how many I have several ideas.

Glad things will be back to normal for you soon.

That mixing container got really dirty fast!

I can't remember what your glass thickness is. If below 19mm you could go mp40, 19mm or above go mp60 because of magnet strength.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad things will be back to normal for you soon.

That mixing container got really dirty fast!

I can't remember what your glass thickness is. If below 19mm you could go mp40, 19mm or above go mp60 because of magnet strength.
I heard back from Maxspec today, and they are going send me a new controller. I'm was very happy with their customer service. I also got the auto water change in progress.
However, I'm also thinking about getting some MP40's. I just hoping they have the power to clear the tank. I asked the BRS, and they said MP40 are more than enough for an 8 foot tank.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard back from Maxspec today, and they are going send me a new controller. I'm was very happy with their customer service. I also got the auto water change in progress.
However, I'm also thinking about getting some MP40's. I just hoping they have the power to clear the tank. I asked the BRS, and they said MP40 are more than enough for an 8 foot tank.

They (mp40's) are powerful enough, I have just seen others mention they slide out of position a bit on 19mm glass. So if you have 19mm thick glass or above I'd choose mp60's as they have stronger magnets to hold position better. If your tank glass thickness is 15mm then it won't matter mp40's would be fine.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They (mp40's) are powerful enough, I have just seen others mention they slide out of position a bit on 19mm glass. So if you have 19mm thick glass or above I'd choose mp60's as they have stronger magnets to hold position better. If your tank glass thickness is 15mm then it won't matter mp40's would be fine.
I have 1/2 inch glass, I don’t know how many millimeters that is.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back